Community discussions

MikroTik App

itengelhardt
just joined
Topic Author

Can't connect HAP AC to CAPsMAN on CRS326

Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:10 pm

Hi folks,

new to Mikrotik, so please have mercy...

I have a CRS326-24G-2S+ and one HAP AC. The HAP AC (port 1) is connected to the CRS (Port 6).

I can't get the HAP AC to connect to CAPsMAN on the CRS326. Both devices run RouterOS 7.13.3. The HAP AC is license level 4, the CRS is on level 5.

Configuration on the CRS326
DHCP server is running and provides an IP address to the HAP AC
CAPsMAN enabled on "all" interfaces (under WiFi --> Remote CAP --> CAPsMAN) -- have tried "ether6" and "bridge", too. 

"WiFi --> Configuration", created one configuration as follows: 
enabled: checked
name: simple-garage
SSID: testssid2
security, Authentication Types: WPA2 PSK
passphrase: are_for_losers

"WiFi --> Provisioning", created one provisioning rule as follows: 
enabled: checked
Action: create dynamic enabled
Master Configuration: simple-garage

Configuration on the HAP AC
disconnected power, press reset button, connect power, wait until LED is solid green and release button

The HAP AC is (from the logs) looking for CAPsMAN but never receiving a response. The CRS does NOT show any activity in the logs (both devices have "topic: caps" activated)

Any idea WTF I am doing wrong?

itengelhardt
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Can't connect HAP AC to CAPsMAN on CRS326

Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:45 pm

I was able to get it semi-working by activating CAPsMAN on the HAP AC itself.
Then I noticed that the path to CAPsMAN is slightly different:
It is "Wireless --> CAPsMAN --> CAP Interface --> Manager" (HAP AC) instead of "WiFi --> Remote CAP --> CAPsMAN" (CRS326).

So next I disabled the CAPsMAN on HAP AC and tried the "WiFi --> Remote CAP --> CAPsMAN" route on the HAP AC.
It doesn't work.
I exported the configuration with CAPsMAN enabled in both ways and compared them against each other.

The glaring difference was this:
/caps-man manager
set enabled=yes
Naturally, I tried to enter those commands into the terminal on the CRS and I couldn't. The command /caps-man simply doesn't exist (doesn't show up when hitting F1, no auto-complete).

Allegedly, the CRS on RouterOS with license level 5 should be able to CAPsMAN other devices. Is this no longer true with the newer versions of RouterOS?

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can't connect HAP AC to CAPsMAN on CRS326  [SOLVED]

Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:38 am

Allegedly, the CRS on RouterOS with license level 5 should be able to CAPsMAN other devices. Is this no longer true with the newer versions of RouterOS?

You’re probably missing the new (and optional for non-WiFi devices) wireless package. They reorganized everything in 7.13.

itengelhardt
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Can't connect HAP AC to CAPsMAN on CRS326

Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:48 am

You’re probably missing the new (and optional for non-WiFi devices) wireless package. They reorganized everything in 7.13.
Thanks a bunch. I thought I had that installed but on cross-check, I did so on the HAP AC.
This fixed that part of the problem.
The next problem was "hap ac is managed, but sending an empty SSID", which I fixed via another answer on the forum by removing the CAP interfaces on the CRS and reconnecting the HAP AC.
Now I have a SSID broadcasted and I can try to connect with my iPhone but it won't properly connect.
So many errors to solve :-(