Community discussions

MikroTik App

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Exceptionally high number of links down on hAP ax2

Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:36 pm

I actually came on here to ask "Is there a way to reset links down" until I read that rebooting the router resets this counter! So that's now led me to ask why so many links down?? The hAP ax2 had only been up two days and pretty light use. 14 devices connected at the moment, most of them on 2.4GHz channel.

I've rebooted it again and will keep an eye on it.

What actually constitutes a link down event? I know that making a configuration change anywhere in the interface configuration tends to cause the link to go down and up - that's understandable.
Last edited by robmaltsystems on Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: Exceptionally high number of links down on hAP ax2

Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:41 pm

In the 5 minutes since writing the above, links down has counted to 5... I've got a syslog server running at the moment. Is there some log setting I can change to record links down?

whatever

Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:14 pm

AP wifi interfaces will go "down" when there is no client connected to them.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:35 pm

As of about this time yesterday, there have been another 21 link downs in 24 hours. One per hour seems high. Still wonder if there is a way to log link downs?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:56 pm

You can set disable-running-check=yes on all wireless interfaces and then observe if link-down numbers still change. Read up in wifi help page about what's this property about.

As explained before, when wireless interface transitions to not running, this means for bridge port the same as if ethernet link dropped (e.g. if cable is unplugged on one end).

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: Exceptionally high number of links down on hAP ax2  [SOLVED]

Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:57 pm

SOLVED! Happened to mention on another post. The link goes down when no devices are connected. This is just a home network so it's entirely feasible that all 5G devices could disconnect, esp. overnight. Just proved it - only my mobile connected. Disable Wi-Fi there and link down went up by one. Explains why link downs on 2G was a lot lower - I have the usual selection of IoT devices all connected on 2G.

So "Link downs" is nothing to be particularly worried about :D