Community discussions

MikroTik App

Michalb1991
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik terrible 2.4 ghz performance + interference issues

Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:52 pm

Hello hello everyone :)

Seems like there were tons of topics like this but as every case is different, logs are required etc and after two weeks of trying I decided to start a new one.

Sooo... I have a fiberwire internet from my operator (Orange in Poland), 1 Mbit. Operator's router is known as a very poor device when it comes to multiple devices and smart home.

My smart home system is not quite big:

1. Nuki 3.0 Pro smart lock
2. Xiaomi DoorBell 3.0
3. Meross floor heating thermostats x2
4. Meross smart valves + gateway x4 (they work on 433 RF)
5. Two Xiaomi cameras
6. Roomba
7. Philips Hue multiple bulbs (but it goes on Zigbee).

Plus 2 tablets, 2 laptops, one Mac mini, 2 smartphones.

60 square meters apartment, mostly red brick walls.

My smart home devices (running on 2.4 ghz, no other choice) started to disconnect in random order, not possible to reconnect etc. I got advice to change the router and was recommended with Mikrotik hAP ax3.

For now it's connected via ethernet to operator's router working as access point, I am waiting for ONT to be installed, quick setup on Mikrotik, nothing special.

And - still my devices are disconnecting :) This weekend I was out of home, whole wifi went down, I had to restart the router and evenmore - rollback factory settings, and re-do quick setup. And they are still disconnecting.

For last two weeks I tried to disconnect random devices to see impact, there is no pattern. On top of that 2.4 ghz on my computer almost doesnt work, like 4 Mbit - I am 5 meters away from the router, doors open. On 5 ghz I barely get 200-300 Mbit, while on operator's router I have 600 Mbit transfer.

I tried to force 20 Mhz, I tried different channels and frequencies, my 2.4 and 5 are separated, added static IPs, nothing helps, eventually get's worse. Ok, I live in a center of Warsaw and with a deep scan I see like 20-30 of WiFis 2.4 around but there must be a solution - people have smart home in big cities and it works :) Even my friend in center of Prague, he has like 20 smart devices, some Asus router and never occured any problems.

What to do, how to troubleshoot? Maybe let's focus on speed and coverage first cause troubleshooting with computer must be easier. Let's try to get stable connection on my Mac and like 100 Mbit - where to start?

Thank you in advance, really I almost lost any hope...

PS. Don't shoot me for what I'll write but router initially was behind the TV on the wall (I wanted to hide it), I know that it might be a source of issue so I moved it on a cabinet - but cabinet is made of steel. Around amplified, turntable, cd player, xbox. No option to move it to another area as previous owner had fiberwire there in the wall. I was thinking about leaving router as a router and installing some wall access point from Mikrotik, going with a cable through the wall, I will hide it somehow maybe. But it is a last resort (much effort to do it in aesthetic way) and hoping that I can overcome that :)

Michał

StupidProgrammer
just joined

Re: Mikrotik terrible 2.4 ghz performance + interference issues

Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:57 am

Turn off wifi on your ISP router if you haven't done so.

What do Mikrotik logs say about the reasons for disconnecting devices? The disconnects are logged - see why.

As for the speed - is your ax3 bridge in RTSP mode?