Community discussions

MikroTik App

mattlach
Topic Author

S-RJ01 SFP+ Modules Getting Stuck in Ports?

Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:40 pm

Is anyone else having this issue?

For my main rack switch it was beneficial to have a split of ~12 gigabit copper ports and ~12 SFP+ ports, but since no such switch existed, I just splurged for one with 24SFP+ ports (CRS326-24S+2Q+) and just grabbed a bunch of the S-RJ01 modules.

At $37 each they are a little expensive for what they do, but I decided to get the official MikrorTik ones from their authorized reseller instead of the $8 Chinese knock-offs, as I want to be sure it will work properly, and not randomly drop connections.

Anyway, I'm having an issue where these cannot be removed from the SFP+ ports. I remove the Ethernet cable, lift the little handle all the way up which pushes back a little arm that is supposed to release the locking tab and let the module come out, but it doesn't. A good 75% of them are just stuck in the ports and refuse to come out.

I have been able to manually manipulate the little flap with a small flat head screw driver and then pull them out (I hope I don't bend anything on the switch)) but that's the only way I've been able to remove them.

Has anyone else had this problem?

FezzFest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: S-RJ01 SFP+ Modules Getting Stuck in Ports?

Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:18 am

This issue is related to the design of the S-RJ01 module. We had to rip them out using force during our last migration, unfortunately in some cases damaging the switchport (or NIC) they were in.

mattlach
Topic Author

Re: S-RJ01 SFP+ Modules Getting Stuck in Ports?

Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:37 am

This issue is related to the design of the S-RJ01 module. We had to rip them out using force during our last migration, unfortunately in some cases damaging the switchport (or NIC) they were in.
While I am glad to hear it is not just me, I'm sad these are wrecking SFP+ ports.

I was able to remove mine without damage by using a small flat-head screwdriver to push the clip that holds them in the port down to where it releases the module, but I was doing it very carefully, as I did not want to bend the clip permanently.