Community discussions

MikroTik App

fattom23
just joined
Topic Author

VLAN Based on SSID Not Working

Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:17 pm

I'm trying to get a VLAN set up on my home network (following about 4 or 5 different guides that seem to list the same steps), but I'm apparently configuring something incorrectly, because whenever I turn on VLAN filtering on the bridge, all my devices stop working and I can't seem to get an IP on the new VLAN. Here's my setup:

I use a Mikrotik RB3011UiAS as a router/dhcp device. I have Port 2 connected to a Zyxel 24 port managed switch which contains most of my hard links, including a link to an 8 port Netgear Smart Switch with has my two APs attached (because they're POE and I need the POE provided by the Netgear). My goal is to have a guest SSID on the AP's map to VLAN ID 20 (which will be tagged by the AP itself before the frames are sent to the Netgear and then onto the rest of the network.

The generally agreed upon order of tasks seems to be first to configure the switches so that they're aware of the VLANs and retain the VLAN tags. I've set every port on both switches to be a trunk port for VLANS 1 and 20 (since I'm fine with every hardwired device being outside the guest VLAN for the moment). I then defined a Vlan 20 interface under the Bridge in the Interfaces menu. . I then defined an IP address for the VLAN interface (10.0.0.1) and used the automated setup tool to set up a DHCP server to dole out IP's on the new VLAN.

However, when I turn on the VLAN Filtering on the Bridge (with the PVID set to "1") , I immediately lose access to Mikrotik and network from all devices. Neither the internal SSID (which previously worked) nor the new VLAN-20 Tagged guest network are assigned IP addresses. Eventually, attempts to connect from any outside device time out and I have to log back into the Mikrotik with my management Port and turn off VLAN filtering to get back in again.

I realize that there's a lot going on here, but does anyone have any tips or tricks of what I can be doing to troubleshoot and figure out where this process is breaking down? I feel like I've followed substantially the same steps 20 different times in a bunch of different guides, so I have to be missing something important. I've attached my Mikrotik config and screenshots of the relevant configurations on the switches and APs and am hoping someone can help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.