Community discussions

MikroTik App

rb760igs
just joined
Topic Author

bandwidth traffic priority methods and advice needed please

Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:14 pm

Hello all,

The router is a hEX S RB760iGS r2 running OS v7.12.1. It operates very much like a pass-through router with little firewalling.
Something like the waveform bufferbloat test will load cpu up to 23% momentarily, but it's usually like 0 to 3% load.
The configuration as it is scores D on bufferbloat. It's like the connection wants to go screaming at the fastest possible rate
then I guess the isp equipment externally clamps. I'm looking for advice on whats the best method for bandwidth prioritisation in this context.
(I understand there's CAKE and a couple of others). Most machines connect via the internal-lan access point. The MK router doesn't run nat - that's left to the access point.

ether1 for pppoe, ether2 for the external-lan connection.

My FTTP is notionally 110/21. With speedtest.net multi it gets usually 106/21. It can be upgraded to 990/110.

There's no gaming but there are a couple of things that absolutely need protected bandwidth at all times:

1. VoIP
There's one voip phone, there might be two at a later date. They're not used very often, but when they are in use
I'd like the call to be normal clarity and speed. I don't know what bandwidth it needs for sure. Maybe 0.5Mbit in both directions?

2. ssh-interactive
ssh-interactive for non-laggy remote admin

then, of *slightly* less importance, but still important, streaming (receiving only)
3. because we have a not-working satellite dish and there's no usable terrestrial signal, there's streaming most of the time,
either news channels or the usual prime video or normal-tv-station-that-also-has-streaming, usually a couple of rooms
watching different things at the same time. It's important that these don't stop/start/jitter/downshift quality, and also that
quality is the highest possible (but it doesn't need to be 4k)

4. then regular web traffic and everything else except #5

5. ssh-bulk for backups # lowest priority of all.

What's the best method for prioritising bandwidth? Thanks in advance for any advice

rb760igs
just joined
Topic Author

Re: bandwidth traffic priority methods and advice needed please

Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:36 am

This seems to work well, found in a reddit post:
/queue type add kind=cake name=cake
/queue tree add max-limit=18M name=queue-upload packet-mark=no-mark parent=ether1 queue=cake bucket-size=0.01
/queue tree add max-limit=90M name=queue-download packet-mark=no-mark parent=bridge queue=cake bucket-size=0.01
as a starting point. eventually changed the upload to 20 and the download to 104 and still got A+ for bufferbloat :D I thought sorting this would be way more complex!

Without cake, bufferbloat score was variously D and F
speedtest.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.