Community discussions

MikroTik App

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

CRS305 updated to 7.14 > Eternal Boot Loop, No Etherboot for Netinstall

Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:07 pm

Hi, after upgrading my beloved CRS305 from 7.13.3 to 7.14 I can´t connect to it any more.
There were no additional packages on the switch and the config was also quite simple (just a few VLANS & basic management access)

-When powering on, the sequence is:
-The power led is on, then all interface leds light up for a second.
-After a long wait, maybe a minute or so, the 1G Cu port starts working, L1 link gets established, but I can´t connect via winbox.
-The port stays up for a while, then all 4 SFP LEDS light up for a sec, the Cu port loses connectivity.

I tried to push reset then hold for at least 5mins after plugging it in, but netinstall just says "Waiting for RouterBoard".
I believe I understand how netinstall works and I tried almost everything from 2 different PCs, but nothing seems to work.
A real HW failure would be strange, as this device was switched off for most of the time since I purchased it 2 years ago.
Also it was mounted above my desk and it never really got hot. So no physical abuse.

Any ideas please?
Was it for my beautiful CRS305? Has someone seen a similar issue?

Edit: also tried replacing the PSU and tried main and backup bootloader (pressing reset before and after plugging in) > no luck yet

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: CRS305 updated to 7.14 > Eternal Boot Loop, No Etherboot for Netinstall  [SOLVED]

Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:13 am

Hi! It was a netinstall issue after all. Yesterday I tried to netinstall the CRS305 via 3 different PCs. 2 of them Linux, one Windows.
I have no clue why netinstall-cli or netinstall with Wine did not work on Linux, it has worked many times previously.
Yesterday after starting netinstall on Windows, no window was opened. I tried all the tricks I know: virus scanner disabled, all unneeded interfaces disabled, uninstalled Virtual Box, rebooted. Nothing helped. Netinstall started, but no GUI. I could not get it, it was in a half started state, maximize, resize or move did not help.
Today, after a fresh boot netinstall suddenly worked on Windows. I could install 7.14.

My faith in MT HW is restored. MT SW however is another story.

Dezoteck55
just joined

Re: CRS305 updated to 7.14 > Eternal Boot Loop, No Etherboot for Netinstall

Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:18 am

Right, NetInstall isn't very self explanatory to a beginner, it's it's own unique terminology context than what I'm used to with other devices, and Mikrotik's SW and RouterOS help seems to be riddled with improper english and sometimes things don't make sense, especially when this RouterOS software help is one big central guide trying to cover so many different products, it's already outdated anyway, my device, the ATL LTE18 kit uses 192.168.188.1 not 192.168.88.1 for example.

There's barely any help for the specific device, barebones documentation, it's all RouterOS manual. I don't know really why trying to access 4G LTE internet and feeding it into an ethernet cable can be so complicated in year 2024.

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:08 pm

I agree, it´s not. But this is not my problem. I did many netinstalls and most have worked. What I don´t like is: why isn´t netinstall always working? Why did my windows netinstall start only partially ? (I have seen the process and when I tried to start it again, it told me, that there is an instance already running) Why did it work automagically the next day after a freshly started Windows 10 PC?
Why did it not work from the same linux PCs I was using beforehand for netinstalling other devices?
(I belive I have used the same parameters, excep of course another version of netinstall, linux kernel, etc. )

So error handling seems to be very fragile with netinstall? Dependendencies not well documented?
It´s no fun using it...

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:36 pm

Why did it work automagically the next day after a freshly started Windows 10 PC?
Two possible logical explanations:
1) a fresh reboot of windows got rid of some leftovers of previous attempts still running in the background
2) netinstall doesn't like to be run on fridays or on the first day of the month[1], if your attempt was made on Friday, 1st that makes two concurrent reasons for failure :wink:

More seriously, it is crazyness, you cannot even be sure if it is connected to the (stupid) way Windows 10/11 manages or mis-manages network connections or if it is the (maybe too direct) Linux, to the actual netinstall programs or to the way the reset button works or fails to work.

When a new user attempts a netinstall (or even a winbox connection) it is easy to blame their inexperience or the settings on their computers or a crappy OEM program running in the background, or a bad cable, etc., but when the same issue happen to someone that had used that same computer/setup to do exactly the same thing only a few days before it means that there is something seriously flawed.

It seems like the whole stuff is non-deterministic. :shock:

[1] let alone at night if there is a full moon

pants6000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:05 am

I just did a linux-native netinstall and it was so easy! A big improvement in comparison to the old gui netinstall on windows/wine. Three thumbs up!

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:59 am

Yeah, if it works, it´s easy. But sometimes it just doesn´t.
The issue is: I don´t know exactly why it does not work sometimes. I have to play around and waste time. That is frustrating.