Community discussions

MikroTik App

atomicduck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Can I get both 2.4 and 5 Ghz to work with new drivers?

Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:20 am

I have one 4011 device working fine (excellent actually) on ROS 7.12.1, but I don't see 2.4 GHz card with WiFi Wave 2 package. Unfortunately, client has some old devices that need 2.4 Ghz.

If I upgrade to latest ROS, I understand that WiFi packages are installed by need, and not by default?

I see three WiFi packages now:

wifi-qcom - for new AX devices
wifi-qcom-ac - for older wave2 devices
wireless - for older 2.4 devices

For 4011 I would need wifi-qcom-ac and wireless. - Can I install them both to gain 2.4 radio access?

I ask first as not to break something on a remote location.

Thanks!

Kanzler

Re: Can I get both 2.4 and 5 Ghz to work with new drivers?

Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:25 am

The «new» WiFi driver doesn't work with 2.4 on the 4011. Only 5 GHz.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:26 am

RB4011 is a special case since it has 2 different wifi chips.

The choice you have to make is using wave2 drivers but only keeping 5GHz.
Or continue using legacy drivers and keep both radios.

atomicduck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:46 am

RB4011 is a special case since it has 2 different wifi chips.

The choice you have to make is using wave2 drivers but only keeping 5GHz.
Or continue using legacy drivers and keep both radios.
Thank you.

I will probably keep W2, but if I will have to have both WiFi interfaces - how do I proceed? What packages to install?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:47 am

If you upgrade using system/packages/upgrade from 7.12.x to latest stable, conversion will be taken care of automatically.
You will see ros package and wireless (=old drivers).

More info here:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Wireless

atomicduck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:09 am

Ok... I won't lie - I am confused...

So the situation is the following? ->

1. for Capsman i have two different versions now?
2. for devices like CAP-AC (and I have a lot of those) for wave2 I would need to install wifi-qcom-ac and loose 2.4 ghz?
3. on 4011 I have to use old Wireless to have both cards active, and the same situations is with CAP AC? and XL, etc.?

I presume I can't have two capsmans, meaning new one can ontrol only AX devices and old one old devices like CAP-AC? - I can't control them all from one capsman? (Meaning I would probably need one controller for AX and one for wave1 AC on 5. and 2.4?

There is a programming language that describes the level of confusion I am having now (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck).

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can I get both 2.4 and 5 Ghz to work with new drivers?  [SOLVED]

Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:20 am

I assume you did not read that info completely or did not digest it yet.

1- yes. Both can be installed on controller BUT if that controller also has a radio (or multiple), you will loose that capability there. It's in the link I provided.
2- Cap ac can work for both radios with wave2 drivers. It only has 1 (supported) chip which controls both radios.
3- RB4011- unfortunately yes. See above.
CAP AC, XL, AC2, AC3 (and some more, usually arm-based wifi APs) can use both radios with wave2 drivers. Again: if chip is supported.

You can have 1 controller for both wifi environments. I had a test setup here at home with Hex doing just that (APs were AX2 and mAP).
You only need to be careful if that controller also has radio AND you still want to use it.

atomicduck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:45 am

Thank you.

I think I get it now.

- I can control new AND old versions of devices on one capsman (are there really two separete versions or they just include it in two diff packages?)
- Are you sure I lose I loose radios? I see that routeros + wifi-qcom-ac on controller work? (kind of an issue for small setups..)

Have you maybe tested what is the behaviour of say CAP AC added to Capsman when you upgrade it to new drivers? Will the channels set and other stuff remain the same as set before, or it shows as a new CAP and you need to reconfigure?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:03 pm

1- yes, 2 different capsman environments. One under wifi, one under wireless / capsman
2- yes. Don't believe me ? Try it :lol:

I have a capac and hap ac2 running wifi-qcom-ac driver as standalone APs.
Wifi-part needs to be reconfigured from scratch but this time in the wifi screens (if you use CLI, its interface/wifi part).
One caveat !! On those olders APs, wifi1 = 2.4Ghz.
On AX devices wifi1 = 5Ghz. So be careful when you start configuring that you got the correct radio.

For capsman wave2 those "upgraded" aps will simply work once set in caps mode, provided you set the provisioning correctly for the right radio (but that's always something to be careful with).

atomicduck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:13 pm

1- yes, 2 different capsman environments. One under wifi, one under wireless / capsman
LOL :-D Will test
Wifi-part needs to be reconfigured from scratch but this time in the wifi screens (if you use CLI, its interface/wifi part).
On AX devices wifi1 = 5Ghz. So be careful when you start configuring that you got the correct radio.

For capsman wave2 those "upgraded" aps will simply work once set in caps mode, provided you set the provisioning correctly for the right radio (but that's always something to be careful with).
I provision automatically by the standard in Capsman. I suppose it should work fine.. I see now that testing is due.

I am always reluctant to update stuff that work. When things start to break, it is not fun.

atomicduck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:41 pm

Just one additional clarification - for wave 1 I have to use CapsMan in wifi package, and for wave2 I need to use new capsman and they could work in parallel?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:53 pm

On RB4011 you need to add wireless package if not already there as of 7.13. Then you have both capsman versions.

Local radios on RB4011 will work as wave 1.
Wave1 devices to be controlled via winbox/ wireless/ capsman.

Wave2 devices to be controlled via wifi structure.