Community discussions

MikroTik App

3JL
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik switch and Unifi Switch can no longer negotiate 10Gb connection over SFP+

Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:26 pm

Hi all,
I have been having issues with the connection between my Mikrotik Switch and Unifi Switch.
I have been able to get a connection working if I fix the connection to 1GB full duplex, but auto-negotiate or 10GB fail... How can I troubleshoot this problem properly?

The situation:
  • Mikrotik SwitchCRS312-4C+8XG on RouterOS 7.13.4
  • USW-Pro-48 on firmware version 6.6.61 and network controller version 8.0.28
  • Between them about 20m optical fiber (4 fibers of which I tested virtually any combination of two; LC-LC 4G OM3)
  • Connected through two SFP+ tranceivers: [UP-TR-SR-CI] Uptimed 10G SFP+ MultiMode Transceivers - 10G SFP+ SR 850nm 300m - Universeel
  • The whole thing worked until I installed a new gateway, moved things around a bit and installed some updates
  • As mentioned, fixing speeds to 1GB duplex worked
  • At the Unifi switch, I sometimes get an Rx Fault, sometimes an STP blocking issue (see attached screenshot)
  • At the Mikrotik switch I get the message that no link can be established; sometimes it shows some sort of connection (see second screenshot) but other moments it is gone completely
  • I have tested virtually all combinations of optical fibers and tested some other SFP+ transceivers, with no effect
Your help would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3JL
just joined
Topic Author

Re: MikroTik switch and Unifi Switch can no longer negotiate 10Gb connection over SFP+

Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:47 am

FYI - I have also tested SFP+ tranceivers from Mikrotik and Ubiquiti, without effect unfortunately

rplant

Re: MikroTik switch and Unifi Switch can no longer negotiate 10Gb connection over SFP+

Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:21 pm

Lots of sfp things seem to have been fixed in the 7.14 chain, perhaps upgrade to it.

3JL
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestion!
I updated to version 7.14rc1 - same result unfortunately though.

The version description does suggest similar issues with other devices as well indeed..
Maybe I should revert back to e.g. 7.12 or earlier?

Best, J

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:33 pm

Maybe I should revert back to e.g. 7.12 or earlier?
If the MT-UFi combination worked back then, then downgrade would be a sensible action. But before doing it, create a supout.rif file (while MT and UFi are connected but don't negotiate 10Gbps) andvopen a trouble ticket with support@mikrotik.com ... you'd increase probability of MT fixing the problem quite a lot.

3JL
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:17 am

Thank you all for your suggestions. Ultimately, the solution was as simple as stupid. For some reason, the Mikrotik did not update properly.
While the Quick Set menu showed the system was properly updated, the terminal (/system routerboard print) did not..
After proper update, the link worked properly again..
Best, Jasper

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:08 pm

While the Quick Set menu showed the system was properly updated, the terminal (/system routerboard print) did not..

There are two parts to the upgrade: OS and firmware.

There’s a setting that auto-updates the firmware after a successful OS upgrade, but you must still do the second reboot manually.