Community discussions

MikroTik App

DasMoritz
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless Wire Cube - Back to Back?

Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:44 pm

Hello Mikrotik Forum,

I would like to operate a directional radio link over a total distance of 250m, but there is no direct line of sight between the two points (A and B). However, there is a point (C) that both A and B can see.

After consulting with the owner of C, I can set up a small installation for the directional radio link there, so that the link A <--> C <--> B can be established.

My question now is whether I can operate the Wireless Wire Cube Pro at point C "back to back"?
If so, what would the configuration look like there?

Thank you and regards,
Moritz

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Wireless Wire Cube - Back to Back?

Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:28 pm

The Cubes can be bought in kits of two units that are already paired, the default behaviour is that of a "transparent L2 bridge" (think of a common, unmanaged switch, though it can of course be managed) so I don't see any particular issue in simply connecting them "back to back", that would be exactly the concept of "wireless wire".
What may need some particular attention is the configuration regarding access for management, as once the devices are up the pole physical connections will be inconvenient, to say the least.
They are configured by default with 192.168.88.2/24 and 192.168.88.3/24, so at least on one of the two pairs you need to change the static addresses (to - say - 192.168.88.4/24 and 192.168.88.5/24) and test the connectivity from both sides of the connection, you should be able to access all 4 devices form both site A and side B:
SiteA<->CubePair#1Master<->CubePair#1Slave<->CubePair#2Master<->CubePair#2Slave<->SiteB

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:23 pm

I would assume at least an angle change.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:56 pm

I have them almost in one line, but on different freq for the 60Ghz radio's. Set of 3 pairs.
The 5Ghz are on the same freq and share air-time. But 5GHz is for fallback only.
Klembord-2.jpg
Throughput UDP in one direction: 560Mbp
Klembord-3.jpg
TCP in both directions falls back : to 120Mbps
Klembord4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:35 pm

Only for curiosity, what is the distance between each pair?
(maybe I missed this piece of info)
OP has to cover some 250 m A-B, but the distances A-C and C-B were not stated.
It could be a symmetrical 125+125 or very asymmetrycal let's say 30+220.
Clearly the speed of the whole link depends on the slower of the two segments, how much is the speed of the links depending on distance?
With this kind of short distances it should not matter much, but having some real world data would be interesting.

DasMoritz
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:11 pm

Hello,

First of all: Thank you very much for participating and sorry for my poor English, I appreciate modern translators :-)

I've drawn a picture, which shows the route quite well. The route consists of two sections, each 60m and 110m long, respectively. A potential issue could be the tree that stands quite centrally along the 60m section and is also very tall, but I could potentially solve that (see 1.).
Richtfunkstrecke_neu.jpg
Regarding the numbers in yellow 1 and 2:

1.) That's my parents' house. I could certainly choose an option there to establish a flexible line of sight connection to point 2.) from there, albeit with more effort.

2.) That's a small clubhouse. I've talked to the tenant and landlord; I could mount both antennas on the roof using an antenna mast and as an advantage for the tenant, I could provide LAN connectivity there, so they would have WLAN and internet access in the clubhouse.

Now, onto my questions:
1.) Based on the image and the distances, do you think this is feasible? I mainly want to transmit the image from an IP camera permanently and store it on my BlueIris server at home, as well as use a bit of WLAN/LAN when I'm in the hall.

2.) Which MikroTik devices would be suitable here? We're not talking about a 5km distance, but rather something under 200m.

3.) If I choose the option with my parents and don't directly transmit to the clubhouse (2), then I'll need a link to my parents' house. I assume I can cascade this and mount the antennas back to back both on the clubhouse and on my parents' house, correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:12 pm

The tree and 60GHz are definitely not compatible, even if you look at a Cube the wrong way (or more simply in case of mist/fog/rain) it will likely loose connection and go to the backup 5GHz link which is much slower, just imagine the behaviour with a branch and leaves swinging in the wind ... :shock:

At this point it would be maybe better to think at a 5GHz only link.

Both segments of the path are relatively short, but the "leaking internet connection to the clubhouse" does complicate a bit the matter as most of the CPE or PtP Mikrotik products have only one ethernet port, so if that one is used for the "back to back" there will be needed an additional switch AND you will need much more speed and bandwidth than what would be needed if it was only the IP camera (and the occasional wi-fi use).

If "hopping" on the roof of your parents house the Cube/60GHz would be fine again, maybe you could look at the "wireless wire"/Wap 60:
https://mikrotik.com/product/wireless_wire
as they would be cheaper than the Cubes (but no backup 5Ghz link), considering that you will need an additional pair (and anyway a switch on the clubhouse).

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:01 pm

If you went to the lower right corner of the first building... can you hit the house directly?

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:31 pm

If you went to the lower right corner of the first building... can you hit the house directly?
That seems a good idea, by-passing the clubhouse (if possible) there would also be not the need of internet bandwidth.
The square marked with "32" seems to be an elevated terrace, if I get it right something like the attached (wireless red, cable green) seems (barely) possible.