Community discussions

MikroTik App

jonah1810
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Periodic increased latency on gateway router

Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:08 pm

Hello, I've been dealing with an issue on my gateway router. About every 18-24 hours it's like it completely freezes up. It can barely handle data and has high latency and packet loss. Each direction it passes through the router adds 20-30ms. So if you ping the device in question from another device plugged directly in. Normally a < 1ms ping time becomes a 30ms ping time. If you ping through the device instead of to the device it becomes a 60ms+ ping time. A reboot immediately fixes the issue until it reappears within the next day.

No noticeable increase in firewall rules counters
Very low cpu usage (<5%)
Tons of available memory
Happens on both ccr2116 and ccr1036
Traffic Ping times are increased no matter what (routing, bridged, queued, not queued, firewall, no firewall)

The only way to make the problem go away without rebooting is to disable all client traffic. The more client traffic that is flowing from the downstream site (connected via wireless links, routed with ospf) the worse the packet loss/latency is.

One strange thing I noticed that only happens sometimes, but when the problem is happening and I disable all the ospf it keeps a copy of all the ospf routes that can't be removed, when ospf is restarted it then adds a new list of duplicate routes.

Im at my wits end trying to debug this and unless i can resolve it we will have to look at other gateway router options. Any suggestions for things that I could try?