Community discussions

MikroTik App

JL2000
just joined
Topic Author

Temporary loss of access to network without disconnecting to AP

Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:19 pm

Hello
I have strange problem with network witch occurs few times per week for only about 1-2minuts. Clients connected via wifi stay connected to AP but sudenly cant ping nothing. Cant ping AP's ip adress, cant ping internal router's adress nor any internets ip. Ofcorse all network for clients stop working for this short period of time. After minut or two and no acction evrything starts to working properly.

Ros v7.12 on all tiks (3xhapax lite and RB5009), got this behevior at least from v7.8, config is pretty simple:
Router( routing, firewall, dns, vlans, dhcp servers, queues )->couple of AP(no capsman)->clients

One of Ap's config ( all ap are same hardwere, same soft, almost same config):
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=48:A9:8A:86:FA:B5 auto-mac=no comment=defconf ingress-filtering=no name=bridge pvid=10 vlan-filtering=yes
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether1 ] l2mtu=1560
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] l2mtu=1560
set [ find default-name=ether3 ] l2mtu=1560
set [ find default-name=ether4 ] l2mtu=1560
/interface wifiwave2
set [ find default-name=wifi1 ] channel.band=2ghz-n .frequency=2437 .skip-dfs-channels=10min-cac .width=20/40mhz-Ce configuration.country=Taiwan .mode=ap .ssid="xxx" \
    datapath.bridge=bridge .vlan-id=10 disabled=no security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk .disable-pmkid=yes .encryption=ccmp,gcmp .group-key-update=1d .wps=disable
add configuration.mode=ap .ssid="yyy" datapath.bridge=bridge .vlan-id=40 disabled=no mac-address=4A:A9:8A:86:FA:B8 master-interface=wifi1 name=wifi2 security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk \.disable-pmkid=yes .encryption=ccmp .group-key-update=1d .wps=disable
/interface vlan
add interface=bridge name=vlan10-main vlan-id=10
add interface=bridge name=vlan40-guest vlan-id=40
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether2 pvid=10
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether3 pvid=40
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=wifi1 pvid=10
add bridge=bridge interface=ether1 pvid=10
add bridge=bridge interface=wifi2 pvid=40
/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=all
/interface bridge vlan
add bridge=bridge tagged=bridge,ether1,ether2,wifi1 vlan-ids=10
add bridge=bridge tagged=bridge,ether1,ether2,ether3,wifi2 vlan-ids=40
/ip address
add address=192.168.10.4/24 interface=vlan10-main network=192.168.10.0
/ip dns
set servers=192.168.10.1
/ip route
add disabled=no dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=192.168.10.1 routing-table=main suppress-hw-offload=no
/system ntp client servers
add address=194.146.251.100
add address=194.146.251.101
l2mtu on AP's interfaces and router's are same 1560 bridge are on default rstp mode

Any ideas what to cheeck ? It's very hard to test cose it happends randomly, cant find any patern. No helpfull info in logs, no interfaces down or dhcp renew on this period. All clients are Wifi, connected to difrent AP. All clients are experincing same behevior. Cant reproduce this and cheeck if this happens only for wifi connections or also for ethernet conected to AP or to router itself. At this point i even dont know if its Ap problem or router. Please for any ideas, advise....

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Temporary loss of access to network without disconnecting to AP

Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:29 pm

There have been some RSTP related fixes in 7.14.
You might consider moving to that version.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:38 pm

Hi holvoe, so you are saying that we should set bridge to what setting ......and from 7,14 onwards.....

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:48 pm

I'm saying to first move to the latest stable (in terminology) version where a fix was present for RSTP.
The symptoms do indicate in that direction.

You could try to disable RSTP altogether. Most home networks should not have a problem with that. If you make a "short circuit" you will know rather fast where it is.

But I would anyhow first make sure to get to the latest version. Especially when it indicates there might have been a fix.
A lot easier.

If the problem still persists and nobody can make a better suggestion, there is material for a support ticket.
Because the first thing they will answer is "upgrade to latest stable version".

JL2000
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:41 pm

Thnaks for reply. This is business production envoirment. I need to be carfull with updates. Version 7.13 was painfull traill. Tested it and coudn't use it for multpile reasons. Version 7.14.1 propably will be ok, but i want to wait some litle more time. There are coming two fixs/feature that i want ( change in wireguard logging and issues regarding VLAN MTU not applying correctly or resetting to default after reboot ). Hopfully 7.14.2 come in next two/three weeks. Meanwile i'm gona test setting "none" in bridge STP mode (i've allredy thought about it ). Any other suggestion ? What can cose this kind of behevior ?

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:30 pm

Used to have this problem all the time in caps-man. Disable the radio and Re enable it, and packets start moving again.

Reboot not required.

This "mitigated" my problems (note I did not type "solved"). I would ping something near the access point that didn't move. If the pings dropped... Cycle the radio.

Finally gave in and changed manufactures.

All the trouble tickets stopped cold. The networks we could set and forget we're back. The only change, I had to go back to using another vendor for wifi.

Well that and when I gave up on the CRS354.
2 328s can be connected with a DAC cable and work for years.
Last edited by gotsprings on Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:18 pm

..... .....
Finally gave in and changed manufactures.
.... .....
All the trouble tickets stopped cold. The networks we could set and forget we're back. The only change I had to go back to using another vendor for wifi.
@gotsprings -- Yes experience is the best teacher without a doubt ... but I see that quite a few want to learn the hard way :(

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:21 pm

@gotsprings -- Yes experience is the best teacher without a doubt ... but I see that quite a few want to learn the hard way :(
Would I LOVE RUCKUS OR CAMBIUM LEVEL RADIO PERFOMANCE, IN CAPS-MAN INTERFACE??? F--K YES!

Do I see that happening? NO.