Community discussions

MikroTik App

siasiab1
just joined
Topic Author

Reset Button Hold Time (New feature)

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:53 pm

Hi

in System/Routerboard there is a new feature named reset button. Once you enable it and set a reset time , you can not reset the device until you know exact reset time that has been set. Even Netinstall and other options do not work. I forgot my password and my question is how I can reset my SXT Device.

Thank you

reza388
just joined

Re: Reset Button Hold Time (New feature)

Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:53 pm

I have same problem
Any one can help me
Thankyo

reza388
just joined

Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:46 pm

Any one have ideas 🤔

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:55 pm

There are maybe some ways out, but definitely not easy and unlikely to be convenient in terms of time spent.
Check these:
viewtopic.php?t=167360#p821518
viewtopic.php?t=189094

I believe that the hold "more than five minutes" won't work anymore, but maybe It Is still worth an attempt.

Otherwise in theory you can open the device, connect in parallel to the reset button a relay and then "brute-force" the timing, since the allowed interval is very "wide", minimum 10 seconds and there are not that many such intervals in the max 10 minutes, it is doable, BUT in practice you have to take into account the various known (and unknown) quirks of Netinstall so it is not easy to calculate the time it may be needed.
As a first approximation 6x10=60 attempts, each one taking between 0 and 10 minutes, so on average 5 minutes, that makes 300 minutes, that one should double or triple to take into account possible mistakes/errors.
To this you add the time to prepare the relay, the connection, writing some script to control the relay and it won't simply be worth it.
If you attempt such an approach for the fun (or the glory) , then it is fine, of course.

johnson73
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:24 am

https://timigate.com/2018/05/simple-ste ... radio.html

You should succeed with netinstall. Unplug the power, press reset, - turn on the power and hold the button for at least 10 seconds, after that netinstall will start. If you let go sooner, it will be easy to reset. I have reset many machines this way.
Last edited by johnson73 on Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:48 am

@johnson73
.. if reset time hasn't been changed ....

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:50 pm

There is no such feature .............its actually called something else!
To gain access to this function you have to really mean to do it, aka hard to do by accident.
Its not clear how you managed to do this but not understand the ramifications are surprising.

What there is are two relatively newish functions called Preboot Etherboot and Protected Bootloader
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/RouterBOARD

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:13 am

Yes, I don't think that it can be activated accidentally AND with changed timings, AND these timings are forgotten/lost.

While an "enable" of protected-routerboot might be issued because the implications are not fully understood, noone (in their right mind) would think to change the reformat-hold-button and the reformat-hold-button-max from their defaults of 20 seconds and 10 minutes AND NOT have this info safely stored.

BUT it remains possible that for *some reasons* something gets corrupted and the device enters accidentally this mode (still with a very high probability that the timings are the default ones), anyway if that is the state, lights wili be blinking 1 second on, 1 second off, so it is easily recognizable, as SiB detailed in the linked to post.