Community discussions

MikroTik App

MTi
just joined
Topic Author

hAPac3 replacement

Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:34 am

Hello,
I am looking for a more powerful replacement for the hAPac3.
Unfortunately so far unsuccessful:
- L009UiGS-2HaxD-IN - only 2.4GHz, very very weak performance. Instead of IPQ-5018, it should have been IPQ-6010 and 1GB of RAM.
How can hAPax3 be more powerful ???
- RB5009UG+S+IN - not yet available with wifi6. Are you planning a model with wifi6 from this series for September 2023?
-hAP ax3 - is a natural successor, but the SFP port (for optics) is missing and the design is not universal. The connection of the original 2.5Gbit port with POE in/out is also not quite ideal.

Is there really no other option?

Please do not complicate your product lines. It's not always just about the price.
Last edited by MTi on Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAPac3 replacement

Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:17 pm

I am not sure where you are comparing your facts but the natural successor for AC3 is AX3.
And it is more powerful.
As a router about 30% faster (check test results).
For wifi the difference might be more noticeable (even when applying wifiwave2 on AC3).

MTi
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:50 am

I am not sure where you are comparing your facts but the natural successor for AC3 is AX3.
And it is more powerful.
As a router about 30% faster (check test results).
For wifi the difference might be more noticeable (even when applying wifiwave2 on AC3).
Yes you are right, but I forgot to discriminate hAP ax3 (see more recent post).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:51 am

original poster says hAP ac3 can't be replaced by hAP ax3 because it lacks SFP port. But hAP ac3 did not have SFP port :D
Is this ChatGPT post?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:23 am

OP:
And PLEASE don't edit your post after a response has been given.
Quite difficult to follow.

MTi
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:03 pm

original poster says hAP ac3 can't be replaced by hAP ax3 because it lacks SFP port. But hAP ac3 did not have SFP port :D
Is this ChatGPT post?
Hello,
I don't know if comparing me to Chat GPT is a compliment or not, but the post was written by a human (and a bit of translator...). :D :D :D

And now I would like to write how I meant it:
- I bought hAPac3 years ago because it suited me.
- now that fiber and faster speeds are common, I would need (as your videos also suggest) to upgrade. That's why I'm looking for a replacement for the original router, but no mikrotik offers a higher level of the original router with SFP.
I think it's not enough to just upgrade the 802.11ac radio to ax (and a usb 3.0 port, 2.5Gbps port). As a replacement for the hAPac3, I would prefer the L009UiGS-2HaxD-IN, even though it only has a 2.4GHz radio. Well, however, I looked at the performance (Ethernet test result on Mtik page) and I was disappointed, it does not reach the performance of hAPax3 (what I would expect). I understand that the L009 is a successor to another product, the RB2011 (but there was also no hAPac3 at the time, as far as I know).
The L009 was supposed to have an IPQ-6010 processor and 1GB of RAM, which would make it the right replacement for the hAPac3, but at the same time it would attack the position of the RB5009UG. (anyway, in my mind I think that's how the techs designed it. $20 extra wouldn't hurt.)

It is not enough to just upgrade the products (innovate the already created feature packages), I think and recommend redesigning the feature packages.

PS: I don't even like the visual design of the box for the hAPxx3 product. I just wanted to draw attention to the different meanings of the word design - proposal and design - visual.

8) Otherwise, great work, I just didn't want to criticize. 8)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: hAPac3 replacement  [SOLVED]

Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:21 pm

You simply need two devices.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:40 pm

Did you think about RB5009 and cAP ax ? This will be my final setup, once RB5009 arrives in september :(

You have 10Gbps SFP+ port, 1 2.5G eth port, 7 1G eth ports, USB, you have poe version.

Should be more than adequate replacement for hAP ac3, it's not all in one device i know but you can put whatever AP you want.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:52 pm

Wondering...
Why isn't 2.5Gb port of AX3 sufficient for home use ?
Wifi will be high 800-ish, so you'll never choke that pipe with 1 connection.

MTi
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:11 am

Wondering...
Why isn't 2.5Gb port of AX3 sufficient for home use ?
Wifi will be high 800-ish, so you'll never choke that pipe with 1 connection.
I don't think the hAP ax3 has much of a future. Anyone buying a Mikrotik wants something like the L009 but with hAP ax3 performance.
Either you don't invest in market research, or you do, and you get the wrong conclusions. (This is the opinion of a practitioner, not a marketer).

MTi
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:17 am

Did you think about RB5009 and cAP ax ? This will be my final setup, once RB5009 arrives in september :(

You have 10Gbps SFP+ port, 1 2.5G eth port, 7 1G eth ports, USB, you have poe version.

Should be more than adequate replacement for hAP ac3, it's not all in one device i know but you can put whatever AP you want.
Yes, I also choose this solution. You can't think of anything else with Mikrotik devices.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:44 am

I don't think the hAP ax3 has much of a future. Anyone buying a Mikrotik wants something like the L009 but with hAP ax3 performance.
Either you don't invest in market research, or you do, and you get the wrong conclusions. (This is the opinion of a practitioner, not a marketer).
Don't know about that.
Most competing products have 4 to 5 ether ports, same as hAP AX2/3.
I have RB5009 at home as central router and AX2 and AX3 as AP with wired devices connected to each of those.

And CAP AX for home ? No way I am hanging THAT on my ceiling, how good it may be.

In warehouse and office environment, no problem. But definitely not at home.
It doesn't pass the "wife test" :lol:

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:54 am

And CAP AX for home ? No way I am hanging THAT on my ceiling, how good it may be.
It's not that bad... If you put it behind TV like I did :lol: :lol:

Anyway, my setup now is RB5009 and 2 cAP ax behind TV's upstairs and downstairs... and before anyone say to me that I need to mount them on the ceiling I will quote my wife: "There is no fu**** way you are putting that on ceiling..."

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:02 am

... and before anyone say to me that I need to mount them on the ceiling I will quote my wife: "There is no fu**** way you are putting that on ceiling..."
See ?
You made my point loud and clear :lol:

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:01 pm

Yea... I did :lol: :lol: :lol: We need smaller APs Mikrotik ! I'm sure many of you have wifes... So when you think you have a great design, bring it home to see reaction...

ivicask

Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:58 pm

You simply need two devices.
Or make us happy with something like HAP AX 3 but with all 2.5gbe ports and 160mhz support for wireless so I can actualy have full use of 2gbit internet my Isp gives me .

Moba
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:05 pm

You already have a somewhat official statement, and nobody knows what MT will offer in the next 24 months with Wi-Fi 7 around the corner. However, it's been clear for a long time that a Wi-Fi RB5009 would not be offered - a video was available years ago online (in Russian I believe) explaining that the form factor couldn't accommodate radios. Since then, the emphasis has been clearly on more consumer oriented offerings, where margins are probably more interesting for MT (plastic boxes are surely cheaper to make).

I do not believe any other vendor offers anything close to the 5009 for home users at this point when paired with APs, since having multi gig ports and being able to use them at full throughput are two different things.

BTW, the RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN, which was the only version available locally when I purchased it before v7 was launched, received so much flak here that it's hardly surprising that an updated version was never offered.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:18 pm

BTW, the RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN, which was the only version available locally when I purchased it before v7 was launched, received so much flak here that it's hardly surprising that an updated version was never offered.

What flak? The only big problem of that model is that its 2.4GHz wireless chip is not supported by wifiwave2, otherwise it's a great device (even the two switch-chip oddity is survivable).

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:26 pm

L009 ?
Same form factor as RB5009 ( I think ?) and with wifi possible.
( ok, only 2.4GHz but wifi nonetheless)

Moba
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:29 pm

What flak? The only big problem of that model is that its 2.4GHz wireless chip is not supported by wifiwave2, otherwise it's a great device (even the two switch-chip oddity is survivable).
People were complaining about the bad Wi-Fi performance with early firmware versions and many experienced long time forums users were probably strongly recommending the basic version for that reason (I will not name them...this is arguing over a dead horse at this point). I personally had to stay on the factory firmware for a long time. Wi-Fi performance with MT is still a subject of very heated discussions to this day. I don't post often, but I visit these forums regularly and the MT Reddit as well. YMMV.

Don't get me wrong, I still love mine, never had any major issues on v6, but IMO this didn't look like a unanimous opinion here when this router was still relevant. I decided that I had better things to do than argue with people who didn't even own the router. This is a bad purchase in 2023 regardless. I could be mistaken and since I admittedly do not work for MT, I have no idea how many units were sold vs the non Wi-Fi version. BTW, I agree with the OP that the current AIO offerings are disappointing...

Moba
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:37 pm

L009 ?
I will try to find the video...it was after the 5009 launch when a lot of users were asking for an updated RB4011 (probably linked here somewhere or on Reddit since I dot not speak Russian and I never would have watched that video otherwise). I am not an engineer, but I am 99% sure that was the reason given at the time...

But the IPQ5018 A53 isn't in the same class as the A72 Marvell SoC anyway.
Last edited by Moba on Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:43 pm

Thermal management may be an issue, I agree.
As for the enclosure itself being the blocking factor, that's remediated with an external antenna.

It exists. L009 with wifi.

Moba
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:07 pm

Thermal management may be an issue, I agree.
As for the enclosure itself being the blocking factor, that's remediated with an external antenna.

It exists. L009 with wifi.
Maybe someone from MT will reply. Looking at the monstrous size of most tri-band/quad-band consumer grade routers, also using updated A53 midrange chips (quad-core clocked up to 2 GHz), heat from the radios seems like a logical design restriction. The hAP ax2 is a perfect size for home use IMO (to each his own), but it's down clocked vs the much larger ax3. Neither are bleeding edge on the radio front. Some manufacturers also use fans, which is another can of worms...

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:03 pm

Well IMHO, ax2 and ax3 are perfect for home users and wifi performance in mikrotik came a long way, they really made some big changes.

At the end, it all depends on what do you expect from wifi, for me stability is more important then have great speeds.

I like to connect what is possible with wire, so wifi is only for mobile phones, laptops, tablets etc.

Moba
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:34 am

At the end, it all depends on what do you expect from wifi, for me stability is more important then have great speeds.

Definitely agree, my 4011 has been the most stable router I have ever owned. I have never kept anything computer related for more than 2 years in more than 3 decades - that says a lot...

MTi
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:49 pm

L009 ?
??????
The L009UiGS-2HaxD-IN has only has a 2.4GHz radio. Nevermind, but:
Well, however, I looked at the performance (Ethernet test result on Mtik page) and I was disappointed, it does not reach the performance of hAPax3 (what I would expect).
I understand that the L009 is a successor to another product line (the RB2011, but there was also no hAPac3 at the time(when it existed RB2011), as far as I know).
L009's existence is most useless, neither fish nor fowl.

Scoox

Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm

L009 ?
??????
Well, however, I looked at the performance (Ethernet test result on Mtik page) and I was disappointed, it does not reach the performance of hAPax3 (what I would expect).
I understand that the L009 is a successor to another product line (the RB2011, but there was also no hAPac3 at the time(when it existed RB2011), as far as I know).
It's been a while, what did you get in the end? After going round in circles for a week and ending up back at square one and without an all-in-one home network solution... it seems the only "less bad" options would be:

hAP ax3 ... or ...
L009UiGS-RM + access point

I wonder what you bought.

MTi
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:34 am

??????
It's been a while, what did you get in the end? After going round in circles for a week and ending up back at square one and without an all-in-one home network solution... it seems the only "less bad" options would be:

hAP ax3 ... or ...
L009UiGS-RM + access point

I wonder what you bought.
Hello,
I really bought RB5009 + cAP ax, but it was also not a win.
At first there were (11/2023) big problems with the RB5009 firmware. The problems were caused either by wifi wave2 instability or by the container solution (I use PiHole directly on the router). It manifested itself in frequent restarts (at least 1x/day) during Wi-Fi load. The problems stopped over time, apparently they were fixed in the firmware.
Well, the cAP ax is a big plate, but unfortunately the signal coverage (and thus the speed achieved) also falls short of expectations. My old RB951 had far better coverage from the same location.
I think the new products fall short of user expectations, at least in the area of radiated WiFi power, but we'll probably have to put up with that. Other parameters, such as RouterOS options and stability, are still at a very high level compared to the price of the products. (Although SMB change in ROS 7.14 - pure disaster) ; -)