Community discussions

MikroTik App

paulkiarie
just joined
Topic Author

More Than one user per mac

Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:12 pm

Hello,

I have created a portal to authenticate users who log in to my hotspot.
However, am getting this error when more than one Mac logins with the same username and Mac address.
error: [*]
No more sessions are allowed for user
I want one hotspot user name to log in to more than one Mac address.

Or is it possible to allow some to have one Mac and others to have more than one Mac per username?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: More Than one user per mac

Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:28 pm

Login based on RADIUS (User manager) would allow more logins per user, on different MAC addresses.
Also multiple users using the same MAC (device) in sequence is possible.
The max number of logins is defined per user.("shared users" parameter in User Manager)

EDIT:
There is also "shared users" in the Hotspot User Profile, expected to do the same as RADIUS.

paulkiarie
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:11 am

Thank you so much, sir.

It has worked like a charm.

paulkiarie
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:25 am

One more question. If I want to have some users share the same users, meaning one user with many devices, and some users to have one user with one device.
E.g in a hotel setup, conference users share the same user while an individual guest One user and One device.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:46 pm

It's there...

without RADIUS the number of devices is in the "Hotspot User Profile". You will need different profiles, one for each different number of devices.
with RADIUS (e.g. User Manager) , the number of devices is specified per named "user".

Not only for Hotspot, I use this for concurrent wifi-authentication limit for that user name.

paulkiarie
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:38 pm

Appreciated. That is working now fine.

Now. When I repeat the wireless network from the Mikrotik with a Tender Router, I get the error below when I try to submit to the captive portal while the wifi from the Mikrotik is authenticating correctly on the captive portal.

Error: Web browser did not send challenge response (try again, enable JavaScript)

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:27 pm

Appreciated. That is working now fine.

Now. When I repeat the wireless network from the Mikrotik with a Tender Router, I get the error below when I try to submit to the captive portal while the wifi from the Mikrotik is authenticating correctly on the captive portal.

Error: Web browser did not send challenge response (try again, enable JavaScript)
The interesting and critical word here is "repeat".
There are many repeater/extender/booster executions possible.

-Some will do ISO 2.5-level bridging (MT calls this "pseudobridge"), that is, replace the MAC address from the client (destination) with the MAC address from the "repeater", because wifi (IEEE 802.11) protocol per default only uses 3 MAC addresses, but this connection requires 4: source - sender - receiver- destination. It's imperfect and many things can go wrong.

-Some will just do a full gateway function (router with SRC-NAT or masquerade), replacing IP address and corresponding MAC address in the clients request. But client is on a different network then, so multicasts and broadcasts may not be forwarded.

- In both cases the MAC based authentication of the client will be confusing. Mostly ALL clients behind the 2.5 bridge or gateway are authenticated at once, as they all use the same MAC address towards the portal.

- In both cases the client device is not reachable from the portal, until after a first transmission., which will define the proper return path in the "repeater".

- Some repeater may do proxy-arp or other tricks. I have no idea how "Tender Router" works here.

paulkiarie
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:23 pm

I am now able to log in through the repeated hotspot. It shows connected successfully but has no internet. The router hotspot has internet.

paulkiarie
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:42 pm

The issue has been solved now.
The address per mac was the issue.
The repeater is treated as one device issuing more than one IPs.