Community discussions

MikroTik App

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Recent batch PSU Failures

Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:20 am

It is useful for the community to know. Yes, do let MikroTik know directly. They probably source these power supply units and do not make them themselves.
The world should know, Mikrotik is NOT reliable.

My CCR1036 (Old design with only one PSU) has 4 PSU failed in a row for each year. I just need to switch to another router to keep the internet on.

It's ridiculously faulty design for a vital network device supposed to run 24X7 365 days a year, failed each year on PSU.

fragtion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:30 am

Good to know, thanks for sharing with us. Indeed probably an isolated batch where the PSU units were sourced from a different, probably Chinese supplier who in turn did not deliver according to required/promised specifications. Ideally MikroTik should have conducted their own tests on the batch before passing them on to customers, but who knows what happened. Not the best sign either way

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:22 am

Good to know, thanks for sharing with us. Indeed probably an isolated batch where the PSU units were sourced from a different, probably Chinese supplier who in turn did not deliver according to required/promised specifications. Ideally MikroTik should have conducted their own tests on the batch before passing them on to customers, but who knows what happened. Not the best sign either way
I have decades of experiences on SonicWall, Fortigate, and Cisco, most of them are made in China, but i never experienced the same ridiculous PSU failure like Mikrotik. The core functions of firewalls (router) is the software, that's why we pay license fee each year to Fortigate. The hardware is suppose to be the carrier of all the functions of the software, it is supposed to be there always, stable and consistent.

Firewall (router) supposes to run 24X7, 365 days a year. Mikrotik cannot even compete with my USD 150 ASUS Wifi Router on up time. Cheap can be a good thing but it cannot reduce the fundamental quality of servicing hours, or no one will dare to use it again.

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Many PSU failures in CCR1036

Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:51 am

Not only software bug, my CCR1036 got 4 times PSU failure since 2018, average 1.5 year with one PSU failed.
Bad cheesy cheap hardware design, my LED display fall into the case and need me to glue it to the case.

The value of Mikrotik over Fortigate, Cisco, SonicWall, etc. is cheaper, but only when Mikrotik products working the same hours.
If cheap Mikrotik hardware breaks much often than Fortigate, Cisco, Sonicwall, it has no value to users. The cost to fix the broken
Mikrotik will be high and not worth it considering it cheap.

qatar2022
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Very bad reliability Mikrotik Products and ROS

Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:46 pm

Also for your company is a good idea to test the new releases because you fix one issue and broke a 4 things that working good.
I totally agree with you, and it's become a tread mark form mikrotik

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Very bad reliability Mikrotik Products and ROS

Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:01 pm

Well if you consider mikrotik is walking on your network, I suppose tread fits!! ( 'trademark' ). Concur, it seems that we are seeing an incomplete software process or maybe not.

First, I blame the beta users, working for free and doing a lousy job of detecting all the new beta firmware problems ;-P Up your game peeps, no time for holidays and half efforts!!
Second, I blame the end user that want tomorrow's fixes, yesterday!
Third, I blame the lack of resources MT puts on these releases and specifically the millionaire or more owners, to cheap to sell their second yachts to fund software work.

To be frank, most software processes induce unwanted errors, that didn't exist before. These errors are usually demonstrated/found at the system test level as most coders are only testing the functionality within a closed limited environment and thus in isolation the code works. This is one of the purposes of IV&V FQT (verification) at the system level by independent company testers at the organization, and then acceptance testing (validation) by an independent body - usually trained software endusers ( sadly it would appear MT relies on beta testers for this function ). The FQT asks the question, does the code act according to design - did we build it right, the acceptance testing asks, did the code work for its intended purpose.

inteq

Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:08 pm

It is useful for the community to know. Yes, do let MikroTik know directly. They probably source these power supply units and do not make them themselves.

My CCR1036 (Old design with only one PSU) has 4 PSU failed in a row for each year. I just need to switch to another router to keep the internet on.

It's ridiculously faulty design for a vital network device supposed to run 24X7 365 days a year, failed each year on PSU.
Can happen with any brand.
But this right here "My CCR1036 (Old design with only one PSU) has 4 PSU failed in a row for each year" I call bullshit.
If 4 different PSU fail on you, I put the blame 100% on you for not protecting your equipment with a good UPS, if at all.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:10 pm

But this right here "My CCR1036 (Old design with only one PSU) has 4 PSU failed in a row for each year" I call bullshit.
If 4 different PSU fail on you, I put the blame 100% on you for not protecting your equipment with a good UPS, if at all.
Sure, it's well known fact that when you don't use a UPS, then capacitors that are next to heatsinks fail quickly. But when you use a UPS, then the capacitors move away from the heatsink automagically thus extending their lifetime. :roll:

The original revision of CCR1036 was badly designed.
The PSU gets no airflow at all and the capacitors that keep failing are right next to a heatsink.
https://prnt.sc/y4PPpmC1cxeB

I've had multiple of those fail on proper datacenters with UPS, generators, constant 21 degree ambient temps, the works, and they still failed multiple times. You call bullshit on Tier 3-Tier4 Datacenters too?

inteq

Re: Many PSU failures in CCR1036

Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:27 pm

I manage a small number (19 units) of CCR1036 and only one PSU failure in 10 years now. The failed PSU was not on UPS.
Now, almost anything is possible.
Like having n% of PSUs fail from a batch. I get that.
But changing 4 different PSUs in one single unit and having them all fail...I don't know Rick.

rushlife
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:28 pm

I am running CCR1036 for almost 7 years nonstop. No a one single problem. Not even with PSU.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:15 pm

I manage a small number (19 units) of CCR1036 and only one PSU failure in 10 years now. The failed PSU was not on UPS.
But changing 4 different PSUs in one single unit and having them all fail...I don't know Rick.
So your anecdotal experience that without UPS CCR1036s fail is not bullshit, but without any knowledge under what circumstances tons of other users' CCR1036 have PSU failures are. Got it.

inteq

Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:15 am

So your anecdotal experience that without UPS CCR1036s fail is not bullshit, but without any knowledge under what circumstances tons of other users' CCR1036 have PSU failures are. Got it.
I personally know people with lots of CCR's and none complained so much so to make it obvious it is a trend.
Is there some statistic regarding this trend of failures?
Or if someone states they don't have a recurrent problem with specific Mikrotik gear, it is anecdotal, but somehow, if someone states "Mikrotik is NOT reliable.", then that is the rule and not the exception?

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:18 am

How about APC Smart UPS 3000RM Online, together with 3 Dell PowerEdge R720, 1 Qnap NAS, 1 IBM SAN Storage, in 32U Server cabinet.
PSU failure only happen to Mikrotik, never to Dell PowerEdge, Qnap, IBM, or ISP modem.

APC UPS got network management card AP9630 to monitor irregular voltage, properly grounding according to TIA-942, and
extra surge protection on main switch.

Commscope cabling and Panduit patch panel, we use data center standard to build up this small server cabinet. Group policy
to go for open source that's why i choose Mikrotik.

I see no reason the blame is on the end user.

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:33 am

Yes, it's the first time it ever happened to me. i working in IT service for decades, maintaining Cisco, SonicWall, Fortigate, Check Point, etc. Firewall, some of them serving as IoT data collector firewall, in high temperature incineration plant, without UPS protection, but rarely
the PSU failed on me. It's ridiculous to have Mikrotik PSU failed 4 times, and you can see the metal top of the capacitor bulge up, not only so,
badly assembled display touch led, cave in when you touch it.

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:59 am

I personally know people with lots of CCR's and none complained so much so to make it obvious it is a trend.
Is there some statistic regarding this trend of failures?
Or if someone states they don't have a recurrent problem with specific Mikrotik gear, it is anecdotal, but somehow, if someone states "Mikrotik is NOT reliable.", then that is the rule and not the exception?
Mikrotik CCR1036 is NOT reliable compared to my current Fortigate 200E firewall, and SonicWall NSA2700.
Totally i have 20 smaller firewalls like Fortigate 60E / TZ-XX to collect IoT data, none of them have PSU blown.

However, to be fair, we need to pay annual fee to upgrade the firmware but NOT for Mikrotik CCR1036.

If i need to replace PSU for every 1.5 year, how about charge me the license fee annually and upgrade the PSU to a more stable one?
It's pain to remove all cables and re-plug them to another router, remove CCR1036 and carry it to the vendor for break-fix.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:59 am

If i need to replace PSU for every 1.5 year, how about charge me the license fee annually and upgrade the PSU to a more stable one?
It's pain to remove all cables and re-plug them to another router, remove CCR1036 and carry it to the vendor for break-fix.
You can also install a better power supply, especially if you are replacing it every 1.5 years.. You are the only one that has reported them failing that much.

24v 4 amp power supply, from memory..

Matta
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:16 am

Do you have any other equipment from Mikrotik (ie, another CCR1036 or something else similar) ?
Can you establish a pattern regarding PSUs dropping dead from all CCRs from Mikrotik ?
Do you have replacement router, once that 1036 drops dead ? I surely would have one, considering it failing once a year. Is it another Mikrotik or something else ?
That up there is a bold statement, considering it's coming from 1 piece of equipment failing.
At the moment, I have exactly 48 various Mikrotik products (routers, switches, APs,) running 24/7 all across my network for years now. Apart from one RB1100AHx4 dead from lightning surge that came through vDSL modem copper wire (I blame ISP) I yet have to see even power brick from Mikrotik failing, yet alone entire device. And I know that 48 devices is not big number for a pattern, that's why I won't say to the world that Mikrotik IS reliable. But it is reliable for ME.

EDIT:
Considering that you run some serious network, I would suggest that you replace that aging router for something newer, or at least, other piece of the same used device.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:31 am

Do you have any other equipment from Mikrotik (ie, another CCR1036 or something else similar) ?
Can you establish a pattern regarding PSUs dropping dead from all CCRs from Mikrotik ?
There is another thread here that has become active again where even Mikrotik admitted early power supply failure in many of the early CCR r1 routers.. Bad caps..

The 'green' caps was the design change/fix, and they were certainly better after.
Do you have replacement router, once that 1036 drops dead ? I surely would have one, considering it failing once a year. Is it another Mikrotik or something else ?

EDIT:
Considering that you run some serious network, I would suggest that you replace that aging router for something newer, or at least, other piece of the same used device.
Our CCR1036 that seems to be dying, We have a CCR1009 that will be swapped in so I can fix the CCR1036.. We outgrew the CCR1009 but it was left in the rack as a spare/backup.. This issue does have us looking at a CCR2116 again but that Marvell 98DX3255 looks like a major handicap, which is why we haven't (yet).

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:19 am

That up there is a bold statement, considering it's coming from 1 piece of equipment failing.
At the moment, I have exactly 48 various Mikrotik products (routers, switches, APs,) running 24/7 all across my network for years now. Apart from one RB1100AHx4 dead from lightning surge that came through vDSL modem copper wire (I blame ISP) I yet have to see even power brick from Mikrotik failing, yet alone entire device. And I know that 48 devices is not big number for a pattern, that's why I won't say to the world that Mikrotik IS reliable. But it is reliable for ME.

EDIT:
Mikrotik CCR1036 is NOT reliable compared to my current Fortigate 200E firewall, and SonicWall NSA2700.
Totally i have 20 smaller firewalls like Fortigate 60E / TZ-XX to collect IoT data, none of them have PSU blown.

No, no other Mikrotik products, CCR1036 is the first try to see if we can replace some less important production line with Mikrotik.

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:21 am

You can also install a better power supply, especially if you are replacing it every 1.5 years.. You are the only one that has reported them failing that much.

24v 4 amp power supply, from memory..
I don't think i am the only one. There are many PSU failure reports back to my local vendor, and you can check this forum to find the same
PSU failure report.

Where's the better power supply for CCR1036? I always use the power supply from the original supplier. CCR1036 is protected by APC UPS 3000RM, with one surge protection on main power switch.
Last edited by godel0914 on Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:30 am

There is another thread here that has become active again where even Mikrotik admitted early power supply failure in many of the early CCR r1 routers.. Bad caps..

The 'green' caps was the design change/fix, and they were certainly better after.

EDIT:
Our CCR1036 that seems to be dying, We have a CCR1009 that will be swapped in so I can fix the CCR1036.. We outgrew the CCR1009 but it was left in the rack as a spare/backup.. This issue does have us looking at a CCR2116 again but that Marvell 98DX3255 looks like a major handicap, which is why we haven't (yet).
I open up my failed CCR1036 and check the power supply PCB, did find the green capacitor near the transistor heatsink plate, has its metal top bulge up, the same to the power supply PCB failed last year.

Someone from Mikrotik posted that's because the overheating of the capacitor, the next generation will be better, this is what my vendor
returned the CCR1036 with new PSU told me, too. I am just so shocked my CCR1036 PSU failed again.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:18 am

Someone from Mikrotik posted that's because the overheating of the capacitor, the next generation will be better.
Heat is the biggest enemy of capacitors.

And the later generations have been better.

You said you are able to, so I suggest you do, replace with the exact capacitors I gave you earlier.. When you see search results, check that you are looking at the same model, sometimes searches return other model numbers that are 'close' because your chosen vendor has them in stock and they are similar.

Are you running your CCR1036 in a warm/hot environment?

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:32 am

Someone from Mikrotik posted that's because the overheating of the capacitor, the next generation will be better.
Heat is the biggest enemy of capacitors.

And the later generations have been better.

You said you are able to, so I suggest you do, replace with the exact capacitors I gave you earlier.. When you see search results, check that you are looking at the same model, sometimes searches return other model numbers that are 'close' because your chosen vendor has them in stock and they are similar.

Are you running your CCR1036 in a warm/hot environment?
1. I checked the previous failed PSU PCB, the bulge up C10 capacitor (1000UF, 35V, 105 degree Celsius max tolerance), it's already a good spec withstand 105 Celsius, i can only replace it with the same model, i have no idea will it fail again in 1.5 year...

2. TIA-942 states the inlet of server cabinet should not exceed the temperature of 27 degree Celsius, the room temperature is always below with air conditioning.

3. I open a ticket on Mikrotik Jira portal, to contact Mikrotik Tech Support for a better lasting solution, may call them later after they wake up.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:48 am

1. I checked the previous failed PSU PCB, the bulge up C10 capacitor (1000UF, 35V, 105 degree Celsius max tolerance), it's already a good spec withstand 105 Celsius, i can only replace it with the same model, i have no idea will it fail again in 1.5 year...
Yes, what I sent you before is a higher (over) spec cap..

Brand matters, some are better than others. Some brands specs are closer to wishful thinking. Panasonic and Rubycon are really good. There is a third brand that is also really good, but I can't think of it without looking them up.

Higher voltage cap is better than a lower one.

Expected lifetime in hours matters too.

Or look for a 24v MeanWell power supply and put it in its place.

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:01 am

Yes, what I sent you before is a higher (over) spec cap..

Brand matters, some are better than others. Some brands specs are closer to wishful thinking. Panasonic and Rubycon are really good. There is a third brand that is also really good, but I can't think of it without looking them up.

Higher voltage cap is better than a lower one.

Expected lifetime in hours matters too.

Or look for a 24v MeanWell power supply and put it in its place.
I read both specs of Panasonic and Rubycon, their spec on withstanding heat are the same 105 Celsius, 7,000 hours roughly equal to 291 days only.
"Panasonic FM 1000uF 35v Low-ESR Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded, 20% Tolerance, 7000 Hours @ 105C, 12.50mm X 20.00mm"

My vendor told me right, the previous replaced CCR1036 PSU was already the new one with better stuff, and supposed to last longer.

Keep reading, found one YouTube comment said he got 6 faulty CCR1036 faulty PSU, they should issue a mass recall!!

Video of the failure
Here you have the video of the moment of the CCR1036 drop and the voltage at the source.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylh_Wsd1gTc

power supplies on CCR1036 are a scandal, we had 6 of them going faulty.
This is a conception problem, they should issue a mass recall or send a correct psu to every customer.

@jalferez
6 years ago
For Mikrotik it is more cost effective than you buy a new router. It is incredible that the CCR1009 has dual power supply and have not taken any reviews of the CCR1036

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:07 am

the same 105 Celsius, 7,000 hours roughly equal to 291 days only.

Only under a naive reading of the specs.

First, those two specs are inextricably paired. If you drop the temp, the lifetime rises proportionately. The accepted rule of thumb is that lifetime is expected to double for every 10ºC drop in operating temperature.

Second, while that rule of thumb is based on solid empirical science, it isn’t a physical law. Different cap designs and formulations will have different temp vs lifetime curves, even under the same front-page specs.

This is why posters above were pressing you on operating temperature inside the device. It doesn’t matter that the cabinet’s floor-level inlet temp is 25ºC if you put the router at the top of a heat chimney. If the fan inlet temp at the router is 60ºC and the internal components add another 15ºC over ambient, you’ve cut expected lifetime by 5 doublings; 2⁵=32.

At this posited 75º operating temp, you’d expect 3 doublings of the lifetime spec. 2³=8, so 56k hours, or 6.3 years.

(It doesn’t stop being a cap at 6.3 years, either. It’s merely allowed to drift out of spec at that point without invalidating the data sheet claims.)

Working it inversely, if 105ºC 7000 hour caps are dying in 1.5 years, that’s only about one doubling, so unless these caps are being run at WTF temps (~96ºC!) they either don’t meet their specs or don’t follow the rule of thumb above.

Incidentally, 7000 hours @ 105ºC is an uncommonly good cap for an aluminum electrolytic, not junk. There’s better available, but not much better.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:17 am

Incidentally, 7000 hours @ 105ºC is an uncommonly good cap for an aluminum electrolytic, not junk. There’s better available, but not much better.
That is why I suggested it, but I am pretty sure the one I suggested was 10k hours.. ;) I consider the green cap that is in them questionable quality, better than the very first gen black ones, but still questionable.. I don't put junk in stuff I work on. haha

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:24 am

the same 105 Celsius, 7,000 hours roughly equal to 291 days only.

Only under a naive reading of the specs.

First, those two specs are inextricably paired. If you drop the temp, the lifetime rises proportionately. The accepted rule of thumb is that lifetime is expected to double for every 10ºC drop in operating temperature.

Second, while that rule of thumb is based on solid empirical science, it isn’t a physical law. Different cap designs and formulations will have different temp vs lifetime curves, even under the same front-page specs.

This is why posters above were pressing you on operating temperature inside the device. It doesn’t matter that the cabinet’s floor-level inlet temp is 25ºC if you put the router at the top of a heat chimney. If the fan inlet temp at the router is 60ºC and the internal components add another 15ºC over ambient, you’ve cut expected lifetime by 5 doublings; 2⁵=32.

At this posited 75º operating temp, you’d expect 3 doublings of the lifetime spec. 2³=8, so 56k hours, or 6.3 years.

(It doesn’t stop being a cap at 6.3 years, either. It’s merely allowed to drift out of spec at that point without invalidating the data sheet claims.)

Working it inversely, if 105ºC 7000 hour caps are dying in 1.5 years, that’s only about one doubling, so unless these caps are being run at WTF temps (~96ºC!) they either don’t meet their specs or don’t follow the rule of thumb above.

Uh, should we have a Micro-Cap circuit simulation? To be honest, i am just stating under the highest 105 degree Celsius, the capacitor only lasting 291 days, i cannot assess how hot the nearby heatsink of the transistor can be, but i calculate it in the worse situation.

Since heat is the killer, either Mikrotik lower the heatsink temperature or move the capacitor away from that heatsink.

My latest failed PSU capacitor already the newer capacitor as my vendor replaced the PSU, where you cannot understand i replace the same spec capacitor will quite possibly last the same??

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:25 am

@kevinds: +30% isn’t “much” in this context.

Junk grade is 1000 hours @ 85ºC. And yes, they really exist, even from top-tier name-brand suppliers like Panasonic.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:27 am

My latest failed PSU capacitor already the newer capacitor as my vendor replaced the PSU, where you cannot understand i replace the same spec capacitor will quite possibly last the same??
That Rubycon and Panasonic are not the same though.. They are much higher quality caps.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:30 am

Junk grade is 1000 hours @ 85ºC. And yes they really exist even from top-tier name-brand suppliers like Panasonic.
I agree and I know.

But junk grade from Panasonic is still way better than the brands that have a big X in the middle of their names.

Or ones that don't have any brand name on them at all.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:30 am

i cannot assess how hot the nearby heatsink of the transistor can be,

You work in an industrial setting and nobody around has a DMM with a thermocouple you can borrow?

The internal health readings should get you into the ballpark, at least.

It’s no accident that this menu is called “health,” by the way.

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:44 am

i cannot assess how hot the nearby heatsink of the transistor can be,

You work in an industrial setting and nobody around has a DMM with a thermocouple you can borrow?

The internal health readings should get you into the ballpark, at least.

It’s no accident that this menu is called “health,” by the way.
May i have your guidance which of the following "health" ballparking the temperature of the heatsink of the transistors??
BTW, i did constantly check on CPU temperature and fan speed, redirect the log to a NAS syslog server.

My CCR1036 overall temperature is rather low, low connection loading, low CPU frequencies.
Without reading the previous cases of PSU failure, who would open up a production firewall (router) to check heatsink temperature?

Wouldn't it a design defect to allow an overheating heatsink to reduce the capacitor life thus blown up the whole PSU?

I have electrical engineering degree, and worked as motherboard RD before, i am not bad at soldering, but i would rather pay
to get a warrantied, new CCR1036 PSU replacement.

[admin@MikroTik] > system/health/print
Columns: NAME, VALUE, TYPE
# NAME VALUE TYPE
0 power-consumption 50.8 W
1 cpu-temperature 43 C
2 fan1-speed 5654 RPM
3 fan2-speed 5825 RPM
4 fan3-speed 5800 RPM
5 fan4-speed 5750 RPM
6 board-temperature1 29 C
7 board-temperature2 28 C
8 psu1-voltage 0 V
9 psu2-voltage 12.1 V
10 psu1-current 0 A
11 psu2-current 4.2 A
Last edited by godel0914 on Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:56 am

which of the following "health" showing the temperature of the heatsink of the transistors??

I wrote "ballpark" for a reason. It's unreasonable to expect die temp readings on every transistor in the device, but it's equally unreasonable to suppose that the PSU is running at a wildly different temp from the rest of the device. It's likely to be somewhere in the range you show.

And if true, then 45°C ambient means we should expect 105-45/10=6 doublings, or 64×7k hours = ~52 year lifetime.

Therefore, something else is going on other than heat, if your caps are meeting their specs.

If we're starting a pool, I put dibs on voltage spikes from the collapse of the inductive windings on the M-G set next door. 😛

who would open up a production firewall (router) to check heatsink temperature?

Me, but then, maybe I simply nerd harder than you do. 🤓

Wouldn't it a design defect to allow an overheating heatsink to reduce the capacitor life thus blown up the whole PSU?

Engineering is all about tradeoffs. There are no absolutes.

If you put the caps in the next postal code, they stay nice and safe while providing zero benefit. If you put them right next to the device yanking on the power rails, they provide maximum benefit while taking the design's maximum heat load.

Atop that, you may have space constraints, which is why wall warts tend to die much more often than open-frame PSUs.

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:42 am

I wrote "ballpark" for a reason. It's unreasonable to expect die temp readings on every transistor in the device, but it's equally unreasonable to suppose that the PSU is running at a wildly different temp from the rest of the device. It's likely to be somewhere in the range you show.
And if true, then 45°C ambient means we should expect 105-45/10=6 doublings, or 64×7k hours = ~52 year lifetime.
Therefore, something else is going on other than heat, if your caps are meeting their specs.
If we're starting a pool, I put dibs on voltage spikes from the collapse of the inductive windings on the M-G set next door. 😛
Micro-Cap can do the circuit simulation, allowing you to scale up and down some parameters to see the overall circuit responding,
including capacitance, temperature, voltage, etc. Many formulas to extrapolate the final output.

In real life the cost down situation, that MTBF won't happen. In the past, we did take samples from the production line to do the hotpot test,
that would be more accurate to reflect the yield rate of that batch of products.
Me, but then, maybe I simply nerd harder than you do. 🤓
More about who's going to take the blame if the firewall down...
Engineering is all about tradeoffs. There are no absolutes.
The tradeoffs shouldn't lower the quality to unacceptable situation. Taiwan is extremely good at cost-down, we have a joke,
i can select the exact spec circuit elements to make the final product dies right after the warranty ends.

I just called Latvia Mikrotik customer support phone to confirm my ticket, on goodwill to hope they find a way to solve the PSU
problem once and for all...

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:42 pm

# NAME VALUE TYPE

CCR1036 (the CCR1036-12G-4S variant) has rated max power consumption at 60W. So the reported power consumption indicates that power supply is running at 80%+ capacity and I'd expect it to have a bit higher temperature.

So what can you do to extend power supply lifetime? Reduce load on router. Yes, this suggestion is outrageous, but it would definitely help.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:59 pm

CCR1036 (the CCR1036-12G-4S variant) has rated max power consumption at 60W. So the reported power consumption indicates that power supply is running at 80%+ capacity and I'd expect it to have a bit higher temperature.

So what can you do to extend power supply lifetime? Reduce load on router. Yes, this suggestion is outrageous, but it would definitely help.
Plug the second PSU in? I'm curious why it reports two if it is an r1.

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:35 am

# NAME VALUE TYPE

1. My CCR1036 is not in high demand, only a few people will connect through it, therefore, i already adjust down the CPU frequency to lower the operating temperature. However, consider the capacitor overheating theory, the heat comes from the nearby power transistors to regulate the current, it seems reduce load (lower frequency) not working here.

2. CCR1036 advertised as a telecom-grade router, that's why i chose it not other home-grade router. Active connection to my CCR1036 often less than 5 people. A few office application in LAN, Active Directory, Exchange Server, SharePoint Server with a home lab, Proxmox Environment.

3. I tried to replace the faulty capacitor with not only trustable brand but also with higher voltage and capacitance, i found the diameter 13mm X 20mm height of the original capacitor are surrounding either with heatsink or transformer feet, no space to allow a little bit of extra size capacitor to fit in. Bad design, audio amplifier heatsink always got a clear space to vent heat.

4. Bad distributor and servicing support system. My faulty CCR1036 laid at the distributor office one week without any response, therefore,
i go for Latvia Mikrotik by Email, Jira ticketing system, and 2 times direct international phone calls. No responding yet.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:15 am

1. My CCR1036 is not in high demand, only a few people will connect through it, therefore, i already adjust down the CPU frequency to lower the operating temperature. However, consider the capacitor overheating theory, the heat comes from the nearby power transistors to regulate the current, it seems reduce load (lower frequency) not working here.

The load on router doesn't come from number of users, it comes from throughput and concurrent number of connections. Number and actual speed of used ports also is a factor in power consumption. CPU frequency only partially affects power consumption. And PSU temperature is proportional to power delivered by PSU.

However, it's even the other way around: ROS regulates fan speed (and thus air flow) according to temperature of CPU (and port area). But indirectly this also affects cooling of CPU (part of air does flow through PSU) and keeping fan speed low means higher temperature inside PSU. The degree to which this actually happens largely depends on thermal design of chasis and airflow inside chasis, so increasing airflow may not affect PSU temperature much if airflow avoids PSU.

BTW, telecom grade equipment tend to run fans quite high ... so using telecom grade equipment in office/residental environments, where noise is generally not welcome, may actually not be the best idea, it's better to use equipment, designed to emit low noise and thus cooling has to be designed in a different way.

Generally you shouldn't replace capacitor with a part that has different capacity (neither smaller nor larger). It can be rated for higher voltage (that doesn't hurt) and definitely can be rated for higher temperature.

karlisi

Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:51 am

However, it's even the other way around: ROS regulates fan speed (and thus air flow) according to temperature of CPU (and port area). But indirectly this also affects cooling of CPU (part of air does flow through PSU) and keeping fan speed low means higher temperature inside PSU.
This will not work. CCR1036 r1 has serious design flaw. CPU is enclosed in tunnel together with fan. Air flows from front panel area to back panel via this tunnel. PSU is in rigt side of enclosure, far from tunnel entrance, no vent holes in case nearby. There is large wall-like radiator between PSU board and motherboard, so there is no airflow around PSU internals at all. I believe, this is why Mikrotik released upgraded versions of this device.

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:30 am

The load on router doesn't come from number of users, it comes from throughput and concurrent number of connections. Number and actual speed of used ports also is a factor in power consumption. CPU frequency only partially affects power consumption. And PSU temperature is proportional to power delivered by PSU.
I knows, just ballparking the use.
"However, it's even the other way around: ROS regulates fan speed (and thus air flow) according to temperature of CPU (and port area). But indirectly this also affects cooling of CPU (part of air does flow through PSU) and keeping fan speed low means higher temperature inside PSU. The degree to which this actually happens largely depends on thermal design of chasis and airflow inside chasis, so increasing airflow may not affect PSU temperature much if airflow avoids PSU."
quote Karlisi "CPU is enclosed in tunnel together with fan", airflow only run inside the tunnel not PSU...
"BTW, telecom grade equipment tend to run fans quite high ... so using telecom grade equipment in office/residental environments, where noise is generally not welcome, may actually not be the best idea, it's better to use equipment, designed to emit low noise and thus cooling has to be designed in a different way."
Again, i know, my house is also used as a business office.
Generally you shouldn't replace capacitor with a part that has different capacity (neither smaller nor larger). It can be rated for higher voltage (that doesn't hurt) and definitely can be rated for higher temperature.
For power regulation, capacitor with larger voltage rating and larger capacitance usually work better, for example, to better smooth ripple.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:27 pm

For power regulation, capacitor with larger voltage rating and larger capacitance usually work better, for example, to better smooth ripple.

Sure, all else being equal, but all else is not equal, because you've got a fixed area of PCB space to install it in. Greater capacity and higher voltage tolerance in the same space must trade off something. TANSTAAFL.

My bet? ESR.

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:52 am

Sure, all else being equal, but all else is not equal, because you've got a fixed area of PCB space to install it in. Greater capacity and higher voltage tolerance in the same space must trade off something. TANSTAAFL.

My bet? ESR.
Yes, PCB space is a problem, i just replaced the PSU capacitor of my CCR1036 with the same spec Japanese capacitor and successfully revive it.
However, the "health" voltage on winbox shows only 22-23.4 volt...

godel0914
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:49 am

My bet? ESR.
I just replaced my C1442 / C1443 with a little bit larger capacitance and voltage rating Japanese capacitors. 16V / 1000uf. (Original 6.3V / 680uf)
It works very well, my "health" voltage rises up from 22.0-23.00 Volt to very stable 23.8-23.9 Volt.
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.