Community discussions

MikroTik App

0x86DD
just joined
Topic Author

hEX POE (RB960PGS) can't mix 802.3af/at with passive PoE

Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:19 am

I am building a CCTV camera post with 2 or 3 CCTV cameras at take 802.3af/at.
Since the hEX POE doesn't have any WiFi capability, I was going to use a spare SXTsq Lite2 to bridge the cameras.

Unfortunately SXTsq Lite2 requires passive 24v PoE only.
It seems there is no way to have some ports in 802.3af/at and others in 24v Passive. The hEX lacks the DC-DC converters needed to do so.
I have tried hAP AC, and even if it can take 57V as power input, it cannot take it via passive.

I wish I know this before I bought hEX POE.

Now I am stuck with pile of Mikrotik gear that can't even work with itself.

Even worse, I am boosting 12V (from solar LiFEPO4 setup) to 48V just to get 48V out.
This all seems to be waste of money and time, as I might reconsider the whole setup due to deficiencies of the hEX PoE.
I could have just used spare hAP AC and just inject (or direct wire 12v) the power to cameras.
It is a massive step backwards.

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB960PGS
The ports 2-5 can power other PoE capable devices with the same voltage as applied to the unit.
I should have paid more attention to this.

I had similar issue with RB4011 and a disc lite (unable to use 48V).

The bizarre part is that there is a DC-DC converter in hAP AC for the power input via jack, which has wide voltage input, yet even hAP AC can't take passive in with 48V.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: hEX POE (RB960PGS) can't mix 802.3af/at with passive PoE

Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:25 am

https://mikrotik.com/product/rbgpoe_con_hp would solve your issue. Personally I prefer Ubiquiti's equivalent a lot more,the INS-3AF-I-G, it is the only Ubnt product I use, I like its form factor a lot more.

0x86DD
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:41 am

https://mikrotik.com/product/rbgpoe_con_hp would solve your issue. Personally I prefer Ubiquiti's equivalent a lot more,the INS-3AF-I-G, it is the only Ubnt product I use, I like its form factor a lot more.
The box on the camera pole is tight on space, I think I will inject the battery voltage (10 to 14.4V) into the SXT and use old hAP Lite for the local wifi access, powered via USB on the hEX PoE.
Although I might add DC-DC for generic 5V, as I am thinking of adding a micro (ESP32) for monitoring things.

Besides that PoE adapter is another $50 I shouldn't had to spend if Mikrotik ditched the passive PoE way back when 802.3af was defined (that was over 20 years ago BTW).
Passive PoE needs to die.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:06 am

Besides that PoE adapter is another $50 I shouldn't had to spend if Mikrotik ditched the passive PoE way back when 802.3af was defined (that was over 20 years ago BTW).
Closer to $25 than to $50 (MSRP of $26 USD).. Mikrotik was less into passive PoE than other vendors have been but I too am glad it is nearly gone.. At least it is gone from new stuff now.

Cisco's pre-802.3af was terrible too...

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:30 pm

Closer to $25 than to $50 (MSRP of $26 USD).. Mikrotik was less into passive PoE than other vendors have been but I too am glad it is nearly gone.. At least it is gone from new stuff now.

Cisco's pre-802.3af was terrible too...
The outdoor AX unit. Passive POE.