Community discussions

MikroTik App

wumper
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ax3 behind Internet Router with DHCP, not working as desired

Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:05 pm

Hello,

just bought a hAP ax3 but I can't get the configuration right.

1) The first Router is an AVM Fritzbox with DHCP enabled and it´s own IP is 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0
2) Then comes the hAP ax3
3) The WiFi Clients connect to the hAP ax3

Internet is working "Out of the Box" but

hAP ax3 get´s an automatic IP from the AVM (192.168.0.63) but it also spans a new DHCP server with an own network area.
From the view of the WiFi client my gateway is 192.168.88.1 and the clients´s ip is 192.168.88.153

My desired configuration is that the gateway for the WiFi clients is 192.168.0.1 (the AVM router) and the ip should also be obtained from the AVM.
I don´t want to use two separate network areas.

What needs to be changed with Winbox64 to get this done?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP ax3 behind Internet Router with DHCP, not working as desired

Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:43 pm

Flat network or do you have vlans for different SSIDS, ( home, guest, iot, media, etc....)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:52 pm

For a network without vlans.........
/interface bridge
add ingress-filtering=no name=bridge 
/interface list
add name=management
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-onlyac channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce country=canada disabled=no frequency=5500 \
    mode=ap-bridge name=home5GIG security-profile=home_Security skip-dfs-channels=all ssid=NoPain-NoGain wireless-protocol=\
    802.11 wmm-support=enabled wps-mode=disabled
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-g/n basic-rates-b="" country=canada disabled=no frequency=2437 mode=ap-bridge \
    name=home2.4GIG  rate-set=configured security-profile=media_Security skip-dfs-channels=all ssid=Media \
    supported-rates-b=11Mbps wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled wps-mode=disabled
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge interface=ether1 (from upstream router)
add bridge=bridge interface=ether2  ( assuming wired connection to PC etc. )
add bridge=bridge interface=ether3  ( assuming wired connection to another device )
add bridge=bridge interface=ether4  ( assuming wired connection to another device )
add bridge=bridge interface=ether5  ( assuming wired connection to another device )
add bridge=bridge interface=home5GIG
add bridge=bridge interface=home2.4GIG
/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=management
/ip address
add address=192.168.0.63/24 interface=bridge network=192.168.0.0  comment="IP of AX3 on home subnet"
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes servers=192.168.0.1 
/ip route
add  dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=192.168.0.1 routing-table=main
/ip service
set telnet disabled=yes
set ftp disabled=yes
set www disabled=yes
set ssh address=x.x.x.x
set api disabled=yes
set api-ssl disabled=yes
/tool mac-server
set allowed-interface-list=none
/tool mac-server mac-winbox
set allowed-interface-list=management

DuctView
just joined

Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 am

My desired configuration is that the gateway for the WiFi clients is 192.168.0.1 (the AVM router) and the ip should also be obtained from the AVM.
I don´t want to use two separate network areas.

What needs to be changed with Winbox64 to get this done?
OK, you want everything on the one subnet. In which case, you need to use the hAP ax3 in bridge mode rather than router mode. Router mode connects between different subnets ...

This video helped me enormously with a similar setup.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5am82iw2vM in explaining bridges in the context of Mikrotik. This comes from The Network Berg who has made loads of videos covering Mikrotik and general router issues.

Another useful video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcwbhncwPug if you want to setup a guest wifi. This one comes from Cat5TV and is part of a short series on Mikrotik routers. There is another one in the series which gives an intro to firewalling.