Community discussions

MikroTik App

mhost
just joined
Topic Author

Help choosing the right device

Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:06 pm

Apologies for a duplicate post. I've seen there are similar posts, but details are all a little different.

I've always just used the standard linksys type home routers and more recently I've switched to an eero 6+. However, I would like to lock down my wifi because I have a lot of smart devices.

We currently only have 150Mbps down and maybe 15Mbps up. I might switch to 1 Gbps symmetric soon though.
I have 5 wired devices (none have gig nics)
I have about 25 smart devices.
We do stream music and tv. Occasional video calls.

Our house is 2 stories about 1100 sqft per floor. I'd like the signal to work through the entire house with a single device.

I would like to be able to have a few SSIDs. The normal one, guest, iot, and possibly one more for security cameras. I'd like to have the guest one completely isolate every device. The iot, I'm not sure if complete isolation works. We have echo/alexa and I've read that for some device there is local communication. If that is the case, what I'd ideally like in this one is that I can configure it so the needed devices can talk to each other. One direction might be sufficient, so firewall rules for SYN packets should be sufficient (unless there is another way with mikrotik).

The SSID for security cameras is not needed if I can have granular control of the device isolation (they need to be able to talk to the central device for video storage).

Would be nice to support wpa3 and wifi 6.

The last point, with linksys or eero I've never had any need to think about cpu/mem as they've never had issues. Curious why so much talk on these forums is about cpu/mem on these devices. Is that something I'd really need to be concerned about by upgrading to a mikrotik?

Thanks

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help choosing the right device

Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:58 pm

I cannot think of a single device MT makes that would provide reasonable signal throughout an entire house.
In fact unless you get into special business class devices, its not something I would recommend.
I would go one of two ways depending upon physical structures and device needs....
a. divide house by floors
b. divide house by 1/2s

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:22 pm

If one AP is working today, than I'd imagine a newer AX-based hAPax3 would improve things slightly. And I'd imagine at least 2Ghz signal reach most places, which is enough for movies.

Certainly, a couple APs, one per floor and/or opposing sides, provide more consistent speeds with Wi-Fi. Now... it your VoIP calls where you kinda want multiple APs with roaming enabled, especially when talking while moving around house. But you can just try one hAPax3 and see how well it works, then decide if worth to add another AP (or 2nd hAPax3 or hAPax2) via cabling.

I wish Mikrotik made an AX-version of the Audience, since that has 2 x 5Ghz radio (current version is only Wave2, not AX) which give you some options to add 2nd AP wirelessly if needed.

mhost
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:05 pm

Thanks. Ignoring that range part of this, which models do you recommend? With my eero, I only have the one device and I do get wifi everywhere in the house. For the most part only smart devices are in the far ends of the house.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:08 pm

Hapax3