Community discussions

MikroTik App

Iggyboo
just joined
Topic Author

HAP AC3 not performing well (Can't reach max WiFi)

Wed May 08, 2024 6:40 am

I have two of these HAPac3 devices. From the specs it shows they should be able to reach 800mbs max on the WiFI. I have them setup as a router and then a bridge in another room to connect other equipment so I don't have to run an ethernet line. I have them connected via 5ghz WiFi using the nv2 protocol. The fastest I can get them to communicate with each other using the built in speed test between them is around 100mbs with TCP and 200 with UDP. TxRx rate in the "Status" page of the WLAN2 interface shows to be 585Mbs. Yes not the 800 it claims but that never happens with these things. I've even made sure to update them to the latest 7.14.3 RouterOS.

SO My question is, what am I doing wrong here?
Are these devices never going to reach anywhere near the "max rate" that is claimed on the specs page? Was a bamboozled by MikroTik marketing?

Thanks in advance.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: HAP AC3 not performing well (Can't reach max WiFi)

Wed May 08, 2024 7:18 pm

Test THROUGH the device, not ON the device. Never use the built in speed test.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: HAP AC3 not performing well (Can't reach max WiFi)  [SOLVED]

Wed May 08, 2024 9:01 pm

TxRx rate in the "Status" page of the WLAN2 interface shows to be 585Mbs.
This shows you that signal loss between both devices is considerable. And apart from removing the obstacle there isn't much that can be done.

Then it comes to efficiency of using the "raw interface rate" for actual payload. You mentionined you're using nv2 protocol, which means you're using legacy wireless driver. That one is not particularly good at efficirncy, usualky giving net throughputs at around half of interface rate (so a bit less than 300Mbps). Using nv2 mostly means even lower throughput ... in certain cases nv2 means better link stability at the cost of lower net performance.

Now, the wifi-qcom-ac driver, available as replacement for legacy driver, in vast majority cases offers far superior performance (e.g. I observed up to 85% effectiveness on my Audience, also better signal rates in similar conditions have been reported). Indeed it only offers 802.11 protocol, but it supports bridge mode. So it's worth trying IMO.

Iggyboo
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 09, 2024 1:48 am

Hmm interesting idea. I never though that the proprietary protocol would we worse. I'll check that out and see if I can improve this. As for the TX/RX I get this even if they are less than 10ft apart line of site so maybe I've got some interference going on somewhere. I do a frequency scan but don't see any overlaps. I'd be happy if I could just get up to 300Mbs at this rate.

Thanks for your suggestion! I'll dig around on the internet on how to get that setup and going.
TxRx rate in the "Status" page of the WLAN2 interface shows to be 585Mbs.
This shows you that signal loss between both devices is considerable. And apart from removing the obstacle there isn't much that can be done.

Then it comes to efficiency of using the "raw interface rate" for actual payload. You mentionined you're using nv2 protocol, which means you're using legacy wireless driver. That one is not particularly good at efficirncy, usualky giving net throughputs at around half of interface rate (so a bit less than 300Mbps). Using nv2 mostly means even lower throughput ... in certain cases nv2 means better link stability at the cost of lower net performance.

Now, the wifi-qcom-ac driver, available as replacement for legacy driver, in vast majority cases offers far superior performance (e.g. I observed up to 85% effectiveness on my Audience, also better signal rates in similar conditions have been reported). Indeed it only offers 802.11 protocol, but it supports bridge mode. So it's worth trying IMO.

sirbryan

Thu May 09, 2024 6:04 am

Install the wifi-qcom-ac drivers on them, set one up as an AP, one as a station bridge.

On the bench, I get 600-700Mbps on hAP AC3's to my newer devices that support WiFi5 Wave 2 (i.e. iPhone, MacBook Pro). The hAP AX3's get closer to actual 800Mbps of throughput on AX capable devices.

On AC and later devices, 802.11 outperforms NV2. There's no point in using anything but 802.11 at this point.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 09, 2024 8:44 am

I do a frequency scan but don't see any overlaps.

Some proprietary protocols don't shown on 802.11 devices ... IIRC nstream is such protocol (normal wifi devices won't detect it, they might show higher noise floor though) but nv2 does show (it's a while since I did those scans so I forgot about details).

Iggyboo
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 09, 2024 10:39 pm

Interesting. I'm waiting on some free-time to get it downloaded installed and reconnected. I won't move them from their current locations and see what the results are.

Iggyboo
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 10, 2024 7:29 pm

Well I'm a bit stuck. I've uninstalled the original "wireless" driver then installed the "wifi-qcom-ac-7.14.3-arm" package on both HAPac3 devices. I set one up as AP (the router) and the other as Station Bridge (the bridge in the remote office). I've attempted to setup the AP with the "MikroTickRT" SSID and set the same on both devices and it shows in the status that they get connected eventually (Authorized etc). But now it doesn't seem to be bridging the network like it did before. I go into the tools of the "Station Bridge" device and I can't ping or anything to the device that it says it's connected to with the WiFi2 port. Am I missing something simple here?

Iggyboo
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 10, 2024 8:49 pm

Ah I figured it out. Looks like it didn't add the Wifi back into the bridge when I reloaded the drivers. I just saw a bunch of "unknowns" in the port list. So once I added the WiFi ports back into there it works. The speed is a bit better but even right next to each other is still pretty bad. Not sure what's going on but I figure I gave these things their best chance to not disappoint me. Now I know how my parents feel. Ha! Well, I guess back to the drawing board for some hardware that will do what I need.

Thanks for your help.
Well I'm a bit stuck. I've uninstalled the original "wireless" driver then installed the "wifi-qcom-ac-7.14.3-arm" package on both HAPac3 devices. I set one up as AP (the router) and the other as Station Bridge (the bridge in the remote office). I've attempted to setup the AP with the "MikroTickRT" SSID and set the same on both devices and it shows in the status that they get connected eventually (Authorized etc). But now it doesn't seem to be bridging the network like it did before. I go into the tools of the "Station Bridge" device and I can't ping or anything to the device that it says it's connected to with the WiFi2 port. Am I missing something simple here?