Community discussions

MikroTik App

cr9c1
just joined
Topic Author

Setting up automatic connection profiles

Wed May 14, 2008 6:09 am

Hello. Forgive me if my question has already been answered; I have a mobile setup with my microtik setup using a vehicle mounted external antenna. I have access to nearly 10 access points, and I want to set up automatic connection profiles so the router automatically connects based on availability and/or signal strength.

I tried setting up one using two access points that had excellent signal (-70 + ) and set up minimum signal levels but it would not connect to them automatically, even after rebooting the router. I tried using the Connect List listed under the interfaces tab in Winbox.

Could someone lead me in the right direction or let me know if / what I'm doing wrong? I'd really like to get some connection profiles set up to keep me from having to log into the router via winbox and switching APs manually. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

jcremin

Re: Setting up automatic connection profiles

Wed May 14, 2008 6:18 am

Are these access points that you have permission to use? If not, don't forget that connecting to them is usually illegal.

Anyway, have you tried leaving the SSID blank in the wireless setting for the card?

cr9c1
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 14, 2008 6:20 am

Yes, I have permission to use all of them. They provided the equipment (RouterOS board and atheros based wireless card)

I dont understand what you mean about leaving the SSID for the card blank..

I went into the Connect List and set up two profiles, we'll call them Prof A and Prof B. Prof A had a minimum signal strength of -80 and the other at -70. I then tried to connect to another access point not in my Connect List, rebooted the radio, and it wouldn't associate automatically with either in the connect list.

jcremin

Wed May 14, 2008 6:38 am

double click on your wlan1 card and go to the wireless tab. Where you see the setting called SSID, click the little up arrow to the right of the box so the setting is blank...

I'm not positive that's all there is to it, but I seem to remember reading it on here before...

I should ask, are all the network names the same? If they are, then what I'm telling you doesn't really matter anyway....

cr9c1
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 15, 2008 12:10 am

No, the network names are all different. So just click that SSID box off, and set up the connect list and it should be good to go?

jcremin

Fri May 16, 2008 2:00 am

Give it a shot and let me know if it works :)