Community discussions

MikroTik App

willy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mikrotik and logging on routerboards...

Thu May 22, 2008 1:50 pm

I have a problem. I use various routerboards on wireless networks.
Normally works good, (this is the reason why i use this hw/sw). But sometimes can cause big problems, and mikrotik make near imposible to get information about the problem.
Mikrotik logging is exclusive. If i leave default configuration logs go to memory, if routerboards reboot -> logs lost.
I can use remote logging, but the network connection broken, remote logging has failed (and lost like above). I search in documentation, how to combine to both logging type at once, documentation dont say anything about this (working or not, and how to configure if works). I search on the net, forums, etc but only one answer found: this is not work.
Dear Mikrotik (as a developer of sw and creator of hw), please give one solution for this situation. (nand and flash not log friendly (logs to disk))

Thanks!
Last edited by willy on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Mikrotik and logging on routerboards...

Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:21 pm

Hmm.

Good, and userfriendly answer from MT: No answer.

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:38 pm

-----
Hi fren,

yes, and good ide. with remote logging you will save your routerboard resources.
on this situation try to make remote logging to other divice and follow like this:

- dowload mikrotik's Syslog from mikrotik's website.
- install it to other divice e.g: with XP.
- choice your logging topic on your router.
- set your logging with action=remote.
- set your remote action ip_address and 514 default port. e.g remote=11.22.33.44:514

i think with mikrotik's syslog you will happy and nice, i used it since 3 years ago. and good luck . . . :wink:

regards
Hasbullah.com
----

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:14 am

Dude can act as a syslog server as well...

Or you can log to ODBC via syslog2odbc (sourceforge)...

There are several options...

willy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:38 pm

-----
Hi fren,

yes, and good ide. with remote logging you will save your routerboard resources.
on this situation try to make remote logging to other divice and follow like this:

- dowload mikrotik's Syslog from mikrotik's website.
- install it to other divice e.g: with XP.
- choice your logging topic on your router.
- set your logging with action=remote.
- set your remote action ip_address and 514 default port. e.g remote=11.22.33.44:514

i think with mikrotik's syslog you will happy and nice, i used it since 3 years ago. and good luck . . . :wink:

regards
Hasbullah.com
----

You just kidding. I know how to set up remote logging. But i have a problem: if set up remote logging, and rem. log server not accessible (ex. network outage) logs are lost. Not logged to memory, etc.
If i set up local logging (on routerboards) not smart choice to log to disk(technology) and if i set log to memory and any problem i cant read log messages if routerboard restart.
I try to set target remote+local(mem) but this dont work.

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:02 pm

-----
ok, fren :wink:
i am sorry, Mikrotik Syslog downloader is enough application as remote-logging and work fine far far away for.

again, i am sorry fren.....

regards
Hasbullah.com
------

Nutcracker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:02 am

Excuse me, or does it seem that this post, like many other, is just getting no where.

More people than just one are looking for an answer on this, but yet we are still waiting on a response from MikroTik.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:06 am

this is a user-to-user forum. to expect an asnwer from mikrotik, please email mikrotik.

Nutcracker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:03 pm

So you can take to the time to explain what type of forum this is, but you can't tell us if it is possible to do what the user requested?

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you just waste your time by posting. Oh and if you are going to take the time to delete my post, please just take the time to answer the users question. After all it is the user that is paying your salary.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:04 pm

I have no idea about the thing that you are asking. Therefore, you should write an email to mikrotik, instead of waiting 4 months on the forum. I can't help you, so I made a suggestion instead

priit
just joined

Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:31 pm

I have no idea about the thing that you are asking. Therefore, you should write an email to mikrotik, instead of waiting 4 months on the forum. I can't help you, so I made a suggestion instead
May I propose the solution?
That would be option of logging to CompactFlash or microSD memory, both RouterOS and Dude logs.

Let me explain a little:
1. CF and uSD are really affordable now, even in huge sizes. You can get 2,5GB *new* microdrives for EUR3,90 at eBay...
2. Using these removable drives, you will not wear out the cells of main NAND disk.
3. You will have enough capacity, as much as you choose to buy.
4. You most probably can read the logs even when Routerboard fails (lightning strike etc)
5. Currently the only proposed usage for removable drives is web-proxy, which does not seem to be stable for production usage (probably due to flash memories not being reliable for such load) - so actually there is no usage.

Alternative possibility would be option of installing the RB RouterOS directly to flash disk. This is not possible right now - unless there is some hidden trick. But it would enable the benefits of disk space.

I guess the MT development is working on the flash disk topics, so may be they would like some proposals.
Adding "CompactFlash" as log destination and as subfolder in "Files" should not be difficult as first step.
Also I can not see how it could possibly compromise Mikrotik trade secrets.

rgds,
Priit

iam8up

Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:45 am

I'm not sure what the question is on this thread, but maybe this simple command will explain how to write the log to the disk. Note that all of the RouterBoards have a flash storage device.
/system logging add topics=error action=disk

priit
just joined

Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:13 am

Yes indeed you can write to built-in NAND flash disk.
However this space is extremely limited and also prone to wearing off.

Using added CF or uSD would be desirable.
I'm not sure what the question is on this thread, but maybe this simple command will explain how to write the log to the disk. Note that all of the RouterBoards have a flash storage device.
/system logging add topics=error action=disk