Community discussions

MikroTik App

Erick
just joined
Topic Author

R433 + XR5 Card Disconnect at certain intervals

Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:01 am

I have R433 with xr5 card with 27dbi grid antenna. Its a p2p link with rb600 + XR5 card and 27dbi antenna on other side. Link is about 26 km long. The link was stable for long while but resently it disconnects for about 25 -40 seconds about every 6 hours. We can predict the disconnection within 20 minutes. Emediately after the disconnection it reconnects and goes on. Where could i begin to troubleshoot as i do not have clue where to start looking. We upgraded boards to 3.17 but didn'tsolve or worsen the problem. Pointing me in right direction would be much appreciated.

BobcatGuy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: R433 + XR5 Card Disconnect at certain intervals

Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:31 pm

Just for Information: I too have a similar problem on a RB 333, with an XR 5 card. This basically is a PTP link, and is in WDS bridge mode. Ironically, disconnects every 6hours or so too. I also had this problem on a RB112 at the same location. ( The 333 replaced the 112)

This problem was NOT here prior to some version, BUT I cannot recall what version that was, just prior to 3.17 I think.

I don;t have mission critical infrastructure, since it is just a link to my brothers house for DVR video survaliance from his shop, and Live TV over a media extender.

I DID however notice there is more "jitter" in the video from the DVR at the shop.

Can't rule it out that something in the newer versions has started to cause this, BUT Cant say for sure.

All hardware and configurations are the same, and all settings are the same. even checked for other devices in the same band at each location, and there is no new ones, and very few ( Like 2 devices on the 5.8 band, one at each location) WHat it is is a mystery.

ahmedsaffar76

Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:09 pm

HI ;
i have RB433A with XR5 card on 5.8 , the router Board stop reply to ping and i can not open the winbox on it .
later i decided to downgrade the OS from 3.17 to 3.13 but every time i load the file to the board it stop and the winbox disconnect .
I have another RB433AH , i used it with the XR5 card and also it stop from time to time but not know the period of this , for both cases i switch the board off and ON to let it work again .
also now i see some packet losses with the ping .
another thing is i have two RB411A boards on the tower which connected to the same 24 port D-LINK switch i connect the RB433A boards , one with R52 for 2.4 Ghz to omni antenna and the other with R52H for 5.8 Ghz PtP connection .
when i open the winbox on each one of them , instantly it open and read what i need but for those RB433A or RB433AH when the winbox open i have to wait for some sec to see the configurations and some times it stop responding and close the winbox .
I start hait the RB433 boards and will replace it with RB411A
so , is these problems coming from the XR5 card while it a great card or from the Board ??????
with best regards .

iam8up

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:48 pm

I would suggest an early teen version of 3.x or 3.20 and see if that changes anything.

Be certain that you upgrade the firmware before ROS, too.

kthameen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:44 pm

As for ROS stay on 3.13 its the most stable till now for XR5s try to replace mini-pci slot it might solve many issues , the new boards got worse this year donnou whats going on, I think its all made in china now :D

ahmedsaffar76

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:46 am

Hi ;
first i replaced the XR5 card with R52H card and used ether2 and stopped using ether1 .
this make the connection more stable and i didn't have to reboot the RB anymore .
after that , i changed the RB to RB411A with the R52H card . the link totally satble and i am not rebooting the routerboard .
now using the RB433AH with 400mWatt card for 2.4 Ghz connection and also ether2 not ether1 .
i keept the XR5 card for future usage .
with best regards.

BobcatGuy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:28 am

I have a RB 333 with an XR5 card in it connected as AP in WDS mode to another AP in wds bridge mode ( a 532A board.) The other board that connects to this RB 333 is a RB 153 and it is in Station WDS bridged. THe RB 333 looses connectivity to the RB 532A, well, the wireless connection is still linked, and the WDS shows up under the WLAN, but no traffic.

Every one of these boards have a XR5 card in them.

I know that I cannot access the RB 333 from the side of the RB 532 A, BUT I have never been at the other location with the RB 153 to see if it disconnects from the 333 ( The uptime on the wireless link shows that it stayed connected, BUT again, not known if traffic passes.

Ironically the RB 333 replaced a RB 112 that was there before, with the same XR 5 card as is up there now. It also started to have this problem, BUT this problem was ** NOT ** there initially with version 2.9.51, or possibly very early versions of 3.X Right now I had it them all on 3.20, went to 3.13, and back to 3.22 today. None of this fixes the problem.

I am going to try and downgrade all the boards to 2.9.51 and see if this fixes the problem.

There is another RB112 with a R52H that is connected to the RB 532 as the 333 is connected to the 532, and never has this issue.

As it stands now, I do not know where the issue is, becuase the 153 with XR5 stays connected to the 333 all the time, but the link problem seems to be at the 532 with xr 5, or the 333 with xr5.

This problem seems to appear to happpen when there is lots of wireless activity, ie 5+mbit when using the link for live tv.\

The error that is in the log of the 532 and the 333 is Unicast key exchange timeout.

Could there possibly be a problem with the Power PC processor and the encryption? Is this why the 333 had a very short lifespan?