Community discussions

MikroTik App

bhamhotspots
Topic Author

Question - SNMP

Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:30 pm

I want to accomplish something with THE DUDE, but figured I would help you understand how my network works.

At each location that I have wifi setup at, I have a 10mb up/down fiber connection, connected to the routerboard 433AH. come from ether2 to a wireless base station that my clients connect to.

Currently I can load THE DUDE, add a device, set the IP for the routerboard, and all is good. I want to me able to monitor my base stations through SNMP (which is supported from the manufacturer of this equipment).

I am new to the network monitor and network aspect of wireless life. Can someone help me understand what SNMP is, and how I can monitor my base stations through SNMP?

Thanks in advance for your help.

bhamhotspots
Topic Author

Re: Question - SNMP

Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:56 pm

OK, well lets try this. Let's say my routerboard external IP is 192.168.1.1 (it's not, but let's just say it is) and my internal IP is 10.1.0.1, my base stations is connected to ether2 and it's ip address is 10.1.0.4. When I enable SNMP through winbox it's asking for contact information and location...What should I put there? The phsyical address for where this is at and our contact email address or something else? I know this sounds silly, but I am just trying to learn all of this. When I click the PLUS sign, to create a NEW SNMP COMMUNITY, it asks for a name and ip address...what should I put there? I am ultimately trying to monitor the routerboard and basestation through THE DUDE.

THanks in advance for your help.

hilton
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Question - SNMP

Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:59 pm

There's a good presentation on the Dude and SNMP from the last MUM. Checkout tiktube.com