Community discussions

MikroTik App

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mikrotik v3.25 and VirtualBox / Qemu

Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:41 am

I'm not sure what's going on, but when I installed RouterOS in VirtualBox 3.25 it crashed before any screen output. I tried installing it in Qemu and this is what I got. This was a 100% zeroed out drive with NOTHING on it.

And what's that connect failed mean? Is this software phoning home oh Mikrotik?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik v3.25 and VirtualBox / Qemu

Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:05 pm

didn't you install XEN package?

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:44 am

No I have not tried Mikrotik under Xen. Is the Mikrotik now only supported under Xen? I've always been able to run some previous version of RouterOS in both VirtualBox and Qemu with no problems. I'm just confused as to what's going on with RouterOS and why things keep breaking it seems?

Doug Shove

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:12 am

I know that 3.24 (and maybe 3.25... maybe not =) don't remember... ) when installed w/o a key but with xen package shows 'Demo license expired!' immediately after install

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:50 pm

I was able to install RouterOS 3.25 in VirutalBox 2.2.4 only with the VT-x/AMD-v turned on and if the BIOS supported hardware visualization, but I couldn't get any of the Intel virtual NICs working (had to use PCnet). The original machine didn't support hw virt. In both installs, the "Xen" package was not checked on RouterOS.

Now, on to testing ...

tombrdfrd66
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:23 pm

I was able to install RouterOS 3.25 in VirutalBox 2.2.4 only with the VT-x/AMD-v turned on and if the BIOS supported hardware visualization..

Now, on to testing ...
I'm trying to install ROS 3.25 into VirtualBox on a Ubuntu Server sans X, so I'm having to use VBoxHeadless - and the machine (Pentium 4) lacks VT-x but Sun say that shouldn't matter.

Every attempt to start the vm by booting to iso fails with a segmentation fault and I can't find anything helpful in the log - nor any clue as to what a segmentation fault might be.

What's the ostype you specify for RouterOS? Anything else odd I should be looking for?

Or am I flogging a dead horse?

marcossantiago
just joined

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:09 am

Hi Guys,

I have no ideia what's wrong with ROS 3.25. I just can't run in my VBOX, it turns off without any message.
But I found in my files, the ROS 3.20, and it work pretty well. I'm using my Netbook Aspire One, with Ubuntu Remix to test it. :lol: This version, show my network card and my wlan card. (wlan working like network).
You just need to enable the PAE/NX in VirtualBox and disable the ZEN package on router os installation.

Here is the ISO on rapidshare.

http://rapidshare.com/files/250179423/mikrotik-3.20.iso
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:45 am

Here is my config from virtualbox and ROS 3.25:
Name: Mikrotik Test
Guest OS: Other/Unknown
Config file: /home/testuser/.VirtualBox/Machines/Mikrotik Test/Mikrotik Test.xml
Memory size: 64MB
VRAM size: 5MB
Boot menu mode: message and menu
ACPI: off
IOAPIC: off
PAE: off
Time offset: 0 ms
Hardw. virt.ext: on
Nested Paging: off
VT-x VPID: off
State: powered off (since 2009-06-30T07:29:22.149000000)
Monitor count: 1
3D Acceleration: off
Floppy: empty
SATA: disabled
IDE Controller: PIIX4
Primary master: /home/testuser/.VirtualBox/HardDisks/Mikrotik Test.vdi (UUID: a6db4740-da9d-4c00-bce8-4305a3b00cf6)
DVD: empty
NIC 1: MAC: 0800274EE06A, Attachment: Bridged Interface 'eth0', Cable connected: on, Trace: off (file: none), Type: Am79C973, Reported speed: 0 Mbps
NIC 2: disabled
NIC 3: disabled
NIC 4: disabled
NIC 5: disabled
NIC 6: disabled
NIC 7: disabled
NIC 8: disabled
UART 1: disabled
UART 2: disabled
Audio: disabled
Clipboard Mode: Bidirectional
VRDP: disabled
USB: disabled
USB Device Filters: <none>
Shared folders: <none>
Guest:
Statistics update: disabled
I'm using VBox 2.2.4 r47978 and Kubuntu 8.04.1 on a Dell D531 laptop. It's an AMD Turion64 X2. Virtualization is Enabled in the BIOS. Installed ROS 3.25 fresh from the ISO. As mentioned, I couldn't get the Intel virt NICs working, (the nic would show up but no DHCP responses or anything), PCNet seemed to work fine. I installed all packages in ROS except (routerboard,*-test,xen).

I had all problems mentioned above, but turning ON virt. in the BIOS seems to have fixed all problems.

Hope this helps,

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:25 am

I just got done testing KVM (QEMU PC emulator version 0.9.1 (kvm-62)) with Mikrotik ROS 3.25 and got it working using the -cpu switch set to anything except qemu64. Even though I'm on Kubuntu 32-bit, it appears that KVM sees the AMD X2 and automatically attempts to run with qemu64 cpu for any guest VMs. Also instead of using qemu-create to generate the image, I used dd if=/dev/zero to create my vm raw image.

Here is the command I run to get it working (after running ROS installer):
sudo kvm -cpu qemu32 -m 128 -hda /VirtualMachines/qemu/mikrotik.img -boot c 
Hope this helps,

tombrdfrd66
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:34 am

But I found in my files, the ROS 3.20, and it work pretty well.

You just need to enable the PAE/NX in VirtualBox and disable the ZEN package on router os installation.

Here is the ISO on rapidshare.

http://rapidshare.com/files/250179423/mikrotik-3.20.iso
After a day of unsuccessfully trying to get ROS 3.25 working on VirtualBox I tried the 3.20.iso from rapidshare and it works - but I can't licence it for longer than the initial 24 hours as it refuses to accept the key generated. Is that because the software key is already registered to someone else.

If so what do I do? I've no other x86 isos of my own other than 3.25, earlier ones don't seem to be archived by MT and I'll need more than 24-hours to see if RouterOS can do everything I want it to reliably on my hardware under VirtualBox?

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:59 am

but I can't licence it for longer than the initial 24 hours as it refuses to accept the key generated. Is that because the software key is already registered to someone else.
what key are you talking about?.. did you buy the key for the softwareID of your virtual machine?..
If so what do I do? I've no other x86 isos of my own other than 3.25, earlier ones don't seem to be archived by MT and I'll need more than 24-hours to see if RouterOS can do everything I want it to reliably on my hardware under VirtualBox?
if you need more than 24h - reinstall the RouterOS and reconfigure it =)

tombrdfrd66
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:53 pm

tombrdfrd66 wrote:
but I can't licence it for longer than the initial 24 hours as it refuses to accept the key generated. Is that because the software key is already registered to someone else.

what key are you talking about?.. did you buy the key for the softwareID of your virtual machine?..
No. Just as Mikrotik's Xen package is 'highly experimental' my trying out RouterOS in a VirtualBox on an intended server upgrade is 'highly experimental' and I've no idea if it's going to work, or how often I am going to have to re-install RouterOS as guest VM before I know. Forgive me if I balk at paying for a licence every time!

But I need more than 24-hours to be sure of its reliability. A version of ROS I tried inside VMWare regularly died after 36 hours.

As it seems to be agreed that v3.25 won't run as a vm - and seems pretty suspect in a number of other directions - I need a demo copy of, say 3.20 which does work and the ability to demo licence it to play with it, but 'old' ie pre-v3.25 versions are no longer available for download and the one I downloaded from rapidshare as per above won't licence for some reason.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:59 pm

I am not aware of any versions that can't be licensed (with demo keys) ...

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:28 pm

oh, I forgot about demo keys, sorry )))

the key you received for your softwareID should work fine...

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:08 pm

I was able to install RouterOS 3.25 in VirutalBox 2.2.4 only with the VT-x/AMD-v turned on and if the BIOS supported hardware visualization..

Now, on to testing ...
I'm trying to install ROS 3.25 into VirtualBox on a Ubuntu Server sans X, so I'm having to use VBoxHeadless - and the machine (Pentium 4) lacks VT-x but Sun say that shouldn't matter.

Every attempt to start the vm by booting to iso fails with a segmentation fault and I can't find anything helpful in the log - nor any clue as to what a segmentation fault might be.

What's the ostype you specify for RouterOS? Anything else odd I should be looking for?

Or am I flogging a dead horse?

With most any other OS it should not matter at all, but for some reason with RouterOS 3.25 it seems like it does (even without the Xen package installed).

tombrdfrd66
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:34 am

I am not aware of any versions that can't be licensed (with demo keys) ...
You're right. My mistake. Typo in registered key. (Wipes egg from face.)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:37 am

Typo
don't tell me you didn't use copy/paste :shock: :shock: :shock:

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:17 pm

Has anyone tried my above scenario and got it to work? I'm just wondering if I had random success with version 3.25.

tombrdfrd66
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:33 am

Has anyone tried my above scenario and got it to work? I'm just wondering if I had random success with version 3.25.
Well I haven't. Maybe it was the virtualisation support in the CPU/BIOS, which I don't have.

I've been able to get v3.20 to run under VirtualBox 3.0.0 but the networking between guest and the outside via 'bridging' seems, ah, 'unreliable'.

jaxx
just joined

Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Got 3.27 working (XEN package hangs it, some dependencies are flaky)
If at MAC level, using "PCNet" cards and bridging, you get to communicate with it easily (winbox/dude)... IP is another problem (ping well, but Winbox won't connect)... and what I needed was VLAN, an extra layer of unpredictable behaviour :-)
(I installed it to see if it could communicate with a VLAN on a RB433... cus' it won't talk to the VLANs on a RB450 and a linux station whom do work well together... *sigh*)

hilton
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:14 am

If at MAC level, using "PCNet" cards and bridging, you get to communicate with it easily (winbox/dude)... IP is another problem (ping well, but Winbox won't connect).
3.27 on Virtualbox 3.0.2 works just fine. I'm using PCnet-PCI II Bridged to my Intel Wireless card in my laptop. Winbox on the host detects the MAC and IP just fine.

jaxx
just joined

Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:11 am

If at MAC level, using "PCNet" cards and bridging, you get to communicate with it easily (winbox/dude)... IP is another problem (ping well, but Winbox won't connect).
3.27 on Virtualbox 3.0.2 works just fine. I'm using PCnet-PCI II Bridged to my Intel Wireless card in my laptop. Winbox on the host detects the MAC and IP just fine.
Acting strange on my side, hard to prode using The Dude, will test on a real station sooner or later

Can you manage to get a VLAN running (and responding to another machine) on it ? Might be alot asking, a virtualized bridged interface doing VLAN :-)

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm using vmware and i've issues with vlan aswell... so i got a workaround
i created the vlans on the host, then bridged a virtual interface to that vlan..

bigchirv
just joined

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:36 am

I just got done testing KVM (QEMU PC emulator version 0.9.1 (kvm-62)) with Mikrotik ROS 3.25 and got it working using the -cpu switch set to anything except qemu64. Even though I'm on Kubuntu 32-bit, it appears that KVM sees the AMD X2 and automatically attempts to run with qemu64 cpu for any guest VMs. Also instead of using qemu-create to generate the image, I used dd if=/dev/zero to create my vm raw image.

Here is the command I run to get it working (after running ROS installer):
sudo kvm -cpu qemu32 -m 128 -hda /VirtualMachines/qemu/mikrotik.img -boot c 
Hope this helps,
It seems that it's the behavior of QEMU when smells something that ends in 64 not just the 64bit AMD CPUs (although I didn't tested it -yet- on a Nintendo 64. ;-) )

Thank you for this. This issue appears either when installing Mikrotik 4.x on QUEMU/KVM VMs with x86_64 hosts.

Also, when using Proxmox to make this command work on the VM just edit the /etc/qemu-server/<VMID>.conf and append this line at the end of the file (Substitute <VMID> for the VMID of your VM in peril :-) ):
args: -cpu qemu32
The system will report itself as a "pentium" machine when using "/system resources print".