Community discussions

MikroTik App

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Upgrade Hotspot 3.23 -> 3.28: Login broken

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:48 am

I have a working Hotspot, ROS 3.23, with customized login-page. And the same configuration on a test-PC, fortunately. After upgrade from 3.23 to 3.28 on my test-PC (fortunately, sigh) the login did not work any more. Suspecting some change in the Mikrotik-login-page, I did a fresh install of 3.28, with original Mikrotik-Login. And the same effect:
The login-page shows up on the client, but, after entering usr/pwd and clicking OK, the browser hangs in "Waiting for ..." However, after clicking "Refresh" of the browser, the show goes on.

Similar effect on logout: Trying to logout accessing 192.168.1.1/logout, browser hangs in "Waiting for ...". However, after clicking "Refresh" button of browser, logout completes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: Upgrade Hotspot 3.23 -> 3.28: Login broken

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Seems to be the same problem as in
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34216

Any real solution on this one from MT ?
According to the thread mentioned above, this is a bug introduced during update from 3.27 to 3.28.

I do not use Open DNS. From thread mentioned above it looks like a DNS-problem, related to using
/ip hotspot profile
set default dns-name=SoftArt.HotSpot.Schloss

which worked in 3.23 for me, but not any more. DNS-name "SoftArt.HotSpot.Schloss" is just used locally.

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:55 am

No reply on Forum - so I filed a bug-report this morning. Will be interesting, how responsive Mikrotik is ...

natedogg104
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:57 pm

I had the same problem:
RouterOS 3.20 and 3.22 hangs (100% cpu) after successful login.

Solution:

Dont use "Address Poll" at User Profile. Set it to none!!

If you need to use "Address Pool", set it at "Server Page".

This works , came from another post , i had the same problems and went away after takin thiat out

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:14 am

I had the same problem:
RouterOS 3.20 and 3.22 hangs (100% cpu) after successful login.

Sorry, my problem (and from other guys mentioned in the other thread) is different:
Login does not complete after pressing "OK"; it continues to display the Login-Form, until I use the "Refresh" button of the browser.
Worked in 3.23 for me; and according to other thread it worked in 3.27, but not in 3.28.
Which version do you have running ?

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:11 pm

Just an update: MT-support still checking my infos. They were not very eager in reproducing the problem themselves, simply stated, that it works with 3.30.
So they asked me to supply more data to help them to figure out what is going on with 3.28
Looks like every MT-customer is a beta-tester.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:54 pm

have you tried 3.30? =)

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:29 pm

Njet.
Still waiting for some reaction to the supout.rifs, which I mailed to support.

BTW, probably I should try (test) ROS 4 RC1 already, or not ? :-)

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:44 pm

not. just please test 3.30 - if it's already fixed - they wont re-fix it =)

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:47 am

Interesting .... Sergejs from support explicitly asked for the supout.rif, to be generated when login is hanging. And I did that.

And now, YOU tell me, that it was not worth the work ...

Frankly speaking, I can even believe your opinion; however, I would have expected YOUR comment from MT-support, of course.

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:50 pm

OK, did a fresh install of 3.30: No difference. Login of hotspot hanging, too, until "Refresh" button pressed. Same for logout, BTW.
I first setup the MT-PC completely including PPPoE-client, DNS, NTP-server, DHCP, NAT, default gateway, so I could access the web from client thru MT-PC without problems. Then I installed hotspot, and, voila: Login hanging ...

Send another rif to support.

Toby

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:44 am

I am experiencing the same problem as reinerotto. The ROS version is routeros-x86-3.30.npk. I played around to see under what condition the problem with hotspot login occurs. Here is the sequence in detail; it may help the MT people to locate the problem.

1. Open Internet Explorer and enter a web address. This causes the login box to be displayed.
2. After entering name and password and pressing OK, on the browser tab heading it says "internet hotspot > login" and the circle on the left of the tab rotates. This condition remains indefinitely.
3. To get out of this condition one can either press the refresh button or press OK in the login box again. The text on the browser tab then changes to "internet hotspot > redirect" for a brief moment and then the web page opens.

Notes:
1. The above sequence only occurrs when the network connection on the client PC is set up with "Obtain an IP address automatically". When a fixed IP address is used the login behaves correctly, i.e., after pressing OK in the login box the web page opens directly. Thereby it does not matter if the IP address corresponds to the routers wireless network address or if it is some arbitrary address, i.e., one-on-one NAT works correctly.
2. When Cookie login is enabled on the router, only the first login behaves as described. For later reconnections no login is required.
3. Most of our clients are inexperienced PC users and this router behaviour throws them off completly. I had upgraded the router from v 3.22 to 3.28 and when all those complaints came in I had to downgrade again to 3.22. I am stating this to make it clear that it is not a trivial matter.

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:57 am

Thanks Toby for confirmation !

When looking at all the posts regarding this issue, all the rifs I sent and no serious reaction from MT-support, you have to conclude, that the first policy of a reaction to a bug-report to MT simply is: "Ignore".

Until, some pile of user complaints shows up, may be.

Eventually, now thanks to your post this might change.

MT, you should have some concern regarding your image, because of your ignorant behaviour regarding bug-reports. Take your users serious, and be more pro-active in fixing problems, and not ignorant-reactive !

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:59 am

tell me your support ticket number and I will see what's the status of that ticket

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:03 pm

With compliments:
[Ticket#2009091566000567] HotSpot Login does n [...]

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:32 pm

I see that you used a DNS static entry that's not a DNS entry at all. Try to write something in the standart form of "name.tld"

For example try: "hotspot.schloss.de"

I suspect that due to security reasons, browsers are very suspicious of these non standard names.

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:29 pm

>I suspect that due to security reasons, browsers are very suspicious of these non standard names.<

First of all, it worked on 3.23.
Second, before you continue simply guessing around, why don't you first do some careful checking of all the info I provided ?
Because then you would notice, that with my last email to the support, which included a rif-file for 3.30, I did not specify any static DNS name at all for the hotspot. And the same problem on 3.30 showed up.

Why do I produce rifs, when they are not used ???

So, unfortunately, your response also proofes, that serious investigation of bug reports are not the standard at MT.

Or do you have too many to take care of ?

Toby

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi normis,

The erroneous login behaviour is repeatable. I suggest you have somebody repeat the test I described in my post on 25.09.09. Just make sure the network setting on the PC is "Obtain an IP address automatically".

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:11 pm

Hi Toby,

I sent already a supout.rif to MT, generated just in state, when login is hanging. No reaction so far.

AND:
Other users already had exactly the same problem before us, look at
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 16&start=0

More than one month ago, enough to investigate in detail.
But obviously first of all the poor user/customer is on "Ignore".

I am wondering, how long it will take to fix, in case we detect a problem, which is not so easy to trace down.

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:31 am

tell me your support ticket number and I will see what's the status of that ticket
Hi Normis,

please, advise, what is the status of the bug I discovered ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:08 pm

we already tested all kinds of scenarios, and this is simply not repeatable here in our lab. instead of complaining in the forums, please send us more info on how you can reproduce it. also you did not respond about the DNS name issue.

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:29 pm

we already tested all kinds of scenarios, and this is simply not repeatable here in our lab. instead of complaining in the forums, please send us more info on how you can reproduce it. also you did not respond about the DNS name issue.

>please send us more info on how you can reproduce it ....<
Please
refere to "Toby"s alternate description how to reproduce, just in this very thread, from 25-September 2009. He confirmed my problem.

On top of it, again, my problem is also already noticed before in
thread
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34216
from middle of August.
I mentioned that already before.
So at least two other different users complain about the same problem as me. That should proof, at least, that there really STILL is a problem.

To support I sent 2 supout.rifs already, just done in the same instant of time, when login is hanging. With ROS 3.28 and 3.30. So it should be possible for you to identify the circumstances, or what is wrong. I think, that is the purpose of a rif, at least.

>also you did not respond about the DNS name issue.<
That is simply not true, and not an issue, anyway. The two rifs I sent to support were done on a system WITHOUT any static DNS-entry.
To proof that, together with the first rif (3.28) I sent to support on 21-September already, attached was the following screen shot, with no static DNS at all.
Please, check my support ticket to verify that.

I also already offered to give your support staff remote access to my hotspot-PC, just when the login is hanging, but I was told, that that would not help, the rifs were much more useful.

Were the rifs checked already ?

Because sometimes there are problems, not so easy to be reproduced, in case there are timing problems or special HW or a special installation sequence of packages etc. Simply for you to be advised.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:36 pm

Wow, finally MT takes it (a little bit) serious. First reasonable comment to my problem from MT-support:

"We have analyzed your support output file. It seems that user is logged in
successfully, but then something is wrong with packets, which are sent.
Perhaps PPPoE is causing problem, which is related to HotSpot.
I can suggest you to lower MSS for PPPoE (set max-mtu and max-mru to 1400 on
pppoe-client).
Let us know how it will work."

Unfortunately, this guess was wrong. Sent in a new supout.rif.
Stay tuned, until the end of this story.

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:16 am

Some more suggestions from support, what to try to fix my problem, like changing authorize to PAP, reset-html.
Problem still persists.

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:37 pm

I am experiencing the same problem as reinerotto. The ROS version is routeros-x86-3.30.npk. 2. After entering name and password and pressing OK, on the browser tab heading it says "internet hotspot > login" and the circle on the left of the tab rotates. This condition remains indefinitely.
Please, file a bug report, too. And attach to the bugreport a supout.rif, to be generated exactly during that time, when login is looping.
Then support has a second rif, generated on totally different hardware.
The fact, that I discovered the problem when upgrading my working system from 3.23 to 3.28 and other posts on this board seem to point into the direction, that the problem was introduced already between 3.27 and 3.28.

Thanx in advance.

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:35 pm

Some new info from support I got:
(Support:)
> 2) What about local network connection to the HotSpot router?
> Do you have any switches/bridges between?
(My answer:)
There is a WiFi-router box inbetween MT-box and client PC, which is
simply used as an access point.

> I would suggest to get straight Ethernet cable 2m, connect your computer to
> the HotSpot router port directly.
OK, I did that: Direct cable between my Vista-Client to the hotspot-box.
Result: No difference.

> Try with completely another computer, let us
> know about the results.
Sorry, where is the reason for me to do that ?
- It worked on 3.23, does not work any more on exactly same HW using 3.28
- according to other posts in the forum, obviously bug showed up when upgrading from 3.27 to 3.28
- normis mentioned already, that you tried to recreate the problem, but it works in your lab. So why should I do it as well ?

To have some more serious infos, we can do the following:
- make available 3.23 ISO-image for me, on FTP for instance
- make available 3.27 ISO available for me

Then I will do a fresh re-install of both, and we will see, whether it (still) works. Then at least you have the eveidence, during which version change the problem was introduced.

Next: make available some tool like "ethereal" for my MT-box. Then I can trace the packets in detail, and it is possible to see exactly, what is going wrong.
Anything else is just guessing around.

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:37 pm

Next chapter in this story:

>> - It worked on 3.23, does not work any more on exactly same HW using 3.28
>> - according to other posts in the forum, obviously bug showed up when upgrading from 3.27 to 3.28
>> - normis mentioned already, that you tried to recreate the problem, but it works in your lab. So why should I do it as well ?
>>
>>
>> To have some more serious infos, we can do the following:
>> - make available 3.23 ISO-image for me, on FTP for instance
>> - make available 3.27 ISO available for me
>
> Yes, it could be possible. If it will help us to resolve the problem.
It definitely will.
At least to find out, when the problem was introduced.
Give me links, please !

>
>> Then I will do a fresh re-install of both, and we will see, whether it (still) works. Then at least you have the eveidence, during which version change the problem was introduced.

>
> MikroTIk RouterOS offers /tool sniffer option, you can sniff and save all the
> data to the file (or send to remote streaming server).

Good.
Then using this tool to trace the packets with 3.23 and the first other version, introducing the problem, should give some more info.
I suspect, that your updates regarding multi-core CPUs might have caused my problem on an old AMD-K6 processor.
Like this one, for instance:

(Change log for 3.28)
*) fixed hotspot problem - on multi-processor systems it was not possible
to set IP address for hotspot client during login - deadlock did happen;

But we will see.

alphahawk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:48 pm

I have been watching this thread and was curious about something. How is your dns setup? I have had the same issue happen on a couple different locations.

What I had to do to fix it was change the dhcp server to hand out the 10.0.100.1 or whatever the ip is of the gateway as the dns.

Then I have to setup the dns in the microtik

/ip dns set allow-remote-requests=yes cache-max-ttl=1w cache-size=2048KiB max-udp-packet-size=512 primary-dns=4.2.2.1 secondary-dns=4.2.2.2

After I have done this on any server I have had this problem it has gone away.

The only other time I have seen this is from corrupted user profiles when setting up the hotspot.

I have tried to recreate your problems on a 450g, a 133, a 532 and a dual core pc and have not been able to reproduce it. Maybe im missing something

I am intrested to see what your resolution is though.

alphahawk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:52 pm

Forgot to add if you want old images you just have to download them from the mikrotik website. They keep them up there for quite awhile. You just have to change the url manually to get them

http://66.228.113.58/mikrotik-3.24.iso
http://66.228.113.58/mikrotik-3.27.iso
http://66.228.113.58/mikrotik-3.28.iso
http://66.228.113.58/mikrotik-3.29.iso
http://66.228.113.58/mikrotik-3.30.iso

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:23 pm

OK, some serious results now, finally (sigh):
MT support suspected a problem using the adrs-pool, and that is the real point:

On 3.23, and up to/including 3.27, it was possible simply to generate one adrs-pool, in my case 192.168.1.3-192.168.1.128 to be called "clients", to be used first of all for DHCP-server.
Then I set up everything like DNS, NTP-client/server, default gateway, DHCP-server, NAT to let a client access the internet directly, without hotspot. Simply to verify all connections, routing etc.
Then, during setup of hotspot, I used exactly the same adrs-pool ("clients") for
hotspot server and user-profile, instead of "None". And that is the point !

Because this works up to 3.27, but not any more on 3.28 and higher. In my case, "None" now has to be used to solve my problem.

So between 3.27 and 3.28 the "behaviour" of the usage of adrs-pool changed. Thats why my update broke.

Then the final, although academic question is: Was there a bug up to 3.27 to allow me to use the same adrs-pool both for DHCP and hotspot, or has a new bug being introduced, NOW to allow the same adrs-pool, but resulting in hotspot-login hanging ?

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:30 am

Thank you very much for the report. We were able to track the problem with login page, when user is logging in or logged out from HotSpot (it could happen with HotSpot users, which IP address is changed after login). We are looking for the fix.

txblue
just joined

Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:34 pm

I have tried a new install on 3.6 that came with rb411ah. tried cominations and permutations of these.... haven't hit the right one yet. My hang is before the login screen. But my blackberry saw it as a hotspot and prompted for login!

seany

Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:39 pm

Phew! Glad to see this is a bug and not something I've done wrong as I am also seeing this error :(

It appears to be something funky happening with the 1:1 NAT (i.e. Address Pool is set).

Hopefully a fix is released soon and I can almost say the hotspot is ready for use :)

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:47 pm

Phew! Glad to see this is a bug and not something I've done wrong as I am also seeing this error :(

It appears to be something funky happening with the 1:1 NAT (i.e. Address Pool is set).

Hopefully a fix is released soon and I can almost say the hotspot is ready for use :)
Then you could at least say "Thank You !" I spent a heck of a lot of time simply to convince MT, that there is a RoS-problem/bug :-) Not to mention my time for beta-testing ... :-)

seany

Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:25 am

Then you could at least say "Thank You !" I spent a heck of a lot of time simply to convince MT, that there is a RoS-problem/bug :-) Not to mention my time for beta-testing ... :-)
Thank you, reinerotto :) *bows*

seany

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:42 pm

Any updates? Anyone traced the cause yet?

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:25 am

No fixes yet even with last stable 3.30 version.
haha, that's because the problem was confirmed _after_ 3.30 release ;)