Community discussions

MikroTik App

derr12
Topic Author

PPPOE and simple queue not playing nice.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:21 am

So the WISP i work for is using mikrotik 433/450g's at our tower sites and radius to make a PPPOE connection to our subscribers. which works great unless our subscriber uses a service that breaks when behind more than one NAT, like VPN, or running a server. for those people i create a 1-1 nat rule so that a public IP gets forwarded to the customer private IP (10.0.0.x).

to limit the speed for the 1-1 nat customer ive done the following simple rule:

/queue simple
add burst-limit=0/0 burst-threshold=0/0 burst-time=0s/0s comment="" direction=both disabled=no dst-address=\
10.0.0.90/32 interface=ether1 limit-at=1M/256k max-limit=1M/256k name=queue1 parent=none priority=3 \
queue=default-small/default-small total-queue=default-small

which does indeed limit the speed for us, however on the bench today i was testing, and when a PPPOE user (which creates a simple rule automatically when they log on) and my 1-1 nat user run a speedtest, at the same time, they both get spotty, shitty speed results. watching the two computers speedtest is like watching two kids fighting over a waterhose for a drink, one drinks, then the ther grabs it and drinks.

when i disable the simple rule for 1-1 nat one gets like 30meg and the other gets his proper speed too.

howcome I cant get both simple rules to play nice together? here is a photo of what it looks like in winbox.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

butche
Trainer
Trainer

Re: PPPOE and simple queue not playing nice.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:30 am

From the manual here: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Queue#Simple_Queues
If neither value of target-addresses nor of interface is specified, the queue will not be able to make difference between upload and download, and will limit all traffic twice.
You are setting a dst-address value when that SHOULD be a target-address value. Also, there is no need to add the interface for what you want to do with the simple queue. Your configuration will only limit traffic from any IP on ether1 when that device is talking to 10.0.0.90. Something like this would do what you want:
/queue simple
add target-address=10.0.0.90 max-limit=300000/1000000 

derr12
Topic Author

Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:23 am

did you notice how the rates were backwards too? in testing when i set an upload speed un upload, and download in download, i got reversed results on a Speedtest. Wierd hey?

Ill try changing that to a target address and see what happens. I think i tried that before but found that it did not throttle anything. will test and see.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:33 am

did you notice how the rates were backwards too? in testing when i set an upload speed un upload, and download in download, i got reversed results on a Speedtest. Wierd hey?
The documentation outlines that the rates are from the router port's perspective. When a client downloads data, the router sends data into the network (outbound on the port), so it's referred to as the upload rate. When a client uploads data, the router receives data from the network (inbound on the port), so it's referred to as the download rate.

derr12
Topic Author

Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:57 pm

cool, thanks guys.

derr12
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:31 am

that seems to be doing the trick, also for anyone who is watching this thread, make sure you put any rules you make above the hotspot simple queue otherwise it doesnt throttle squat.