Community discussions

MikroTik App

tete
Topic Author

Load Balancing - NTH - Mikrotik 3.10 Not working - need help

Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi all,

I have several days working on a Load Balancing solution over a Mikrotik 3.10. I have read all the wiki articles and all the forum post about nth and it's implementation, I have configured the router as I have read but it is impossible... this is not working and I am just sure that my problem is a trick but I am not able to see it. So please, help me discover where my configuration fails.

Here we go....

My interfaces configuration
/interface> print
Flags: X - disabled, R - running, D - dynamic, S - slave 
 #    NAME                                                                                                                               TYPE             MTU  
 0 R  LAN                                                                                                                                ether            1500 
 1 R  ADSL1                                                                                                                              ether            1500 
 2 R  ADSL2                                                                                                                              ether            1500 
 3 R  pppoe-adsl2-20mb        
I have three interfaces and two xDSL lines, one interface is for LAN, other interface ADSL1 has a RFC 1483 Fixed IP and ADSL2 has a PPPoE client over it with the next configuration...
/interface pppoe-client> print
Flags: X - disabled, R - running 
 0  R name="pppoe-adsl2-20mb" max-mtu=1480 max-mru=1480 mrru=disabled interface=ADSL2 user="user" password="*****" 
      profile=default-encryption service-name="Telefonica" ac-name="" add-default-route=no dial-on-demand=no use-peer-dns=yes allow=pap,chap 
I am trying to balance network load into the two adsl lines. So I have configured the Mangle as I see on the forum. I marked pakets...then connections and then routing ....
/ip firewall mangle> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic 
 0   ;;; ### TS
     chain=prerouting action=mark-routing new-routing-mark=200 passthrough=yes src-address-list=Server Win2000 src-port=3389 protocol=tcp 

1 X ;;; ### Marcado NTH de paquete 1
     chain=prerouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=PAK1 passthrough=yes connection-state=new nth=2,1 

2 X ;;; ### Marcado NTH de paquete 2
     chain=prerouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=PAK2 passthrough=yes connection-state=new nth=2,2 

3 X ;;; ### Marcado NTH de Conexion 1
     chain=prerouting action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=ADSL1 passthrough=yes packet-mark=PAK1 

4 X ;;; ### Marcado NTH de Conexion 2
     chain=prerouting action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=ADSL2 passthrough=yes packet-mark=PAK2 

5 X ;;; ### Marcado de Ruta 1
     chain=prerouting action=mark-routing new-routing-mark=ADSL1 passthrough=no packet-mark=PAK1 

6 X ;;; ### Marcado de Ruta 2
     chain=prerouting action=mark-routing new-routing-mark=ADSL1 passthrough=no packet-mark=PAK2 
As you can see the first rule is a TS port mark in order to have TS administration on the LAN side windows 2000 Server.
The next 6 rules are the Packet Marks, the Connection Marks and the Routing Marks Assignaments.

OK. Just here all works good, the counters runs up and it maintain a correlation...

The problems begins here....
/ip firewall nat> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic 
 0   ;;; ### Acceso TS 
     chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.0.5 to-ports=3389 src-address-list=Network_admin  dst-port=3389 protocol=tcp 

1 X ;;; ### Nat para administrar router adsl 30mb
     chain=srcnat action=masquerade out-interface=ADSL2 

2   ;;; ### NAT NTH
     chain=srcnat action=masquerade out-interface=ADSL1 connection-mark=ADSL1 

3   chain=srcnat action=masquerade out-interface=pppoe-adsl2-20mb connection-mark=ADSL2 

4   chain=srcnat action=masquerade 

The first and second rules is a reverse nat to admin the lan interface of the router giving the PPPoE bridge, and a rule for TS.It works OK,
The next three rules comes from the mangle and makes the masquerading based on the connection-marks. The last rule is a general nat.
The problem here is that counters don't work correctly. Rule 2 works good but rule 3 is 0 and I suppouse that it's traffic is being applied to rule 4 (General)
I really don't know why.

The IP routes....
/ip route> print
Flags: X - disabled, A - active, D - dynamic, C - connect, S - static, r - rip, b - bgp, o - ospf, m - mme, B - blackhole, U - unreachable, P - prohibit 
 #      DST-ADDRESS        PREF-SRC        GATEWAY-STATE GATEWAY                                           DISTANCE INTERFACE                                  
 0 A S  ;;; ### RUTA POR DEFECTO PPPoE
        0.0.0.0/0                          reachable     pppoe-adsl2-20mb                                  1        pppoe-adsl2-20mb                           
 1 A S  ;;; ### NTH
        0.0.0.0/0                          reachable     ADSL1                                             1        ADSL1                                      
 2 A S  0.0.0.0/0                          reachable     pppoe-adsl2-20mb                                  1        pppoe-adsl2-20mb                           
 3 A S  ;;; ### RUTA POR DEFECTO RFC1483
        0.0.0.0/0                          reachable     80.XXX.XXX.130                                     1        ADSL1                                      
 4 ADC  80.XXX.XXX.128/26   80.XXX..132                                                                   0        ADSL1                                      
 5 ADC  192.168.0.0/24     192.168.0.254                                                                   0        LAN                                        
 6 ADC  192.168.3.0/24     192.168.3.1                                                                     0        ADSL2                                      
 7 ADC  192.168.153.1/32   83.XX.XX.226         
The IP routes has a default route number 0 and NTH routes.... based on routing marks assigned by NAT.

I also have a routing rule to 0.0.0.0/0 80.XXX.XXX.130 with routgin mark 200 due to my needs of remote administration.

The Ip routing rules are...
/ip route rule> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - inactive 
 0   src-address=80.XXX.XXX.132/32 action=lookup table=200 

1 X interface=pppoe-adsl2-20mb action=lookup table=100 

2   routing-mark=200 action=lookup table=200 

That's all folks.... THe route balancing is not working... all the traffic is going through the ADSL2 interface (aka pppoe) and only the administration traffic is working on ADSL1 (aka RFC1483).

I have tested all configuration possibilities, but I am not getting any results. If I dissabled the route rule 0, ir is suppoused that it will go applying the routing marks by nat... but the problem is that in connection log I have many "syn sent" entries and no traffic at all.

Greetings to all, greeted in advance for your time....

Tete
Spain.

alex998r
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Load Balancing - NTH - Mikrotik 3.10 Not working - need help

Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:45 pm

In /ip firewall mangle print you have all the rules disabled ( x on the left side ), if this is the running state......... as you can imagine they will not function at al.
:D
Ciao
Alessandro

tete
Topic Author

Re: Load Balancing - NTH - Mikrotik 3.10 Not working - need help

Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:35 pm

:lol:

This rules are disabled in order to maintain the router on service.... But with this rules enabled... this don't work....

I have notice that I can ping out from the router but from the lan it is impossible, it gives me the first answer but no the next ones.

I also have noticed that in /firewall connections is there many syn sent or syn receibed....

Greetings

ojeysky
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Load Balancing - NTH - Mikrotik 3.10 Not working - need

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:29 pm

I also have this same problem, once NTH is running, i can ping from the router to the LAN but i cannot ping from user to user on the LAN. Please help, this is making my servers unreachable.

Regards

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Use PCC instead. It can guarantee that connections between the same two endpoints always go across the same link.

ojeysky
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:16 am

Use PCC instead. It can guarantee that connections between the same two endpoints always go across the same link.
Hey the thing is i run hotspot on the network and when i tried PCC on my hotspot, i observed the loadbalancing was not working effectively but with NTH it works perfectly! Is there a firewall statement that could just permit access from all network(i have 8 VLANs) to an inside server say 10.2.1.13, while still using NTH?
If you think PCC is a better option, could you provide me with sample script to make it work well for hotspot? (i am load balancing across 3 wan links)

Regards