Community discussions

MikroTik App

routik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

help with HTTP, P2P, STREAMING, VOIP, traffic prioritization

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:36 pm

I recently installed routerOS on my desktop with two interface WAN and LAN. i am getting 128kbps upload and 512kbpsdownload from my isp (dedicated).
i will like to implement dhcp server, hotspot, transparent web proxy, queue with traffic prioritization, L7 filters/L7protocols.
i have successfully configured the two interface, dhcp server, NAT, DNS, but when i got to queue i was able to digest this simple PCQ but giving HTTP/HTTPS high priority than VOIP, P2P,streaming etc have given me enough headache to implement. i have read some wiki articles but could not digest them.
please i need help on how am going to implement this in my network with over 25 clients.

Thanks.
Last edited by routik on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: help with HTTP, P2P, STREAMING, VOIP, traffic prioritiza

Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:58 pm

QoS is not going to be something that can be easily summed and explained in a post or two. It is a very complex issue and will require a lot of work and playing around on your part to get it right until you are happy with it. Also depending on your hardware, you may want to stay away from the layer7 stuff. It can be very resource intensive and if you don't have enough horse power on the router, won't do you much good. Most of the time identifying traffic based on ports and amount of traffic passed on that connection will be enough.

Depending on your setup you have a couple of basic ways to go.
1.) In Mangle, mark connections and then mark packets based off of the connection marks. In Queue Trees, set up the appropriate queues.
2.) In Mangle, mark packets directly and in queue trees, set up the appropriate queues.

The first situation is the easiest to get going, and takes up less resources. The main draw back is, if you are using connection marks for something else, like Load Balancing, it makes it very difficult if not impossible to use this approach.

The second option takes up more resources, and requires more rules because you need rules that will catch both sides of the connection, but depending on the setup, may be the only real option open to you.

A good place to start is this Wiki article.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Connection_Rate
See how it works and how it's marking connections and packets. Play around with it until you understand what is going on. Once you have it down start to branch out from there by classifying different kinds of traffic and adding in additional leafs to your queue tree. Just take it one step at a time.

And lastly, that amount of bandwidth is an extremely small amount. I'm not sure setting up any level of QoS with 25 users with that much bandwidth will do any good.

routik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks four your reply so far, i stumbled on this and am trying to digest it with the link you posted.
like you said, am playing around already.
as for the bandwidth, is meant for browsing alone nothing else, so i wouldn't mind telling me how best i can determine the share ratio.

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:03 pm

The basic way that I distinguish normal web browsing from file downloads or streaming is by connection bytes. Once a given connection has exceeded 1MB, I assume that it's a file download or stream and assign it a different mark and a lower priority. In my case however, I am only classifying HTTP, HTTPS, DNS, and anything else is just "other" traffic.

If you want any level of VoIP prioritization, you are probably going to run into problems because of the amount of bandwidth that you have. Though VoIP doesn't take up a lot of bandwidth comparatively, it is very sensitive to congestion and delays. With only 128k upload, I doubt you'll be able to get any consistency with it, especially with any other kind of traffic going through the router.

As one more side note as you play around. For your maximum limit for your queues you are going to want that to be set at around 90% of the actual links capacity. Without that limit your QoS setup will break down and not do as you expect.

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:18 pm

I learned that there are several things that you would like to give high priority e.g. your DNS lookup, VOIP, etc. and then there is medium high like http traffic. I think it good practice to organice your priorities in groups and in order not to loose overview it is a good idea to make a overview like enclosed to work from.

rgs Pilgrim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

routik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:07 pm

i must confess, is not really that easy for me to comprehend. i saw this wiki article http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Qu ... Q_Examples , it was quite easy for me to understand, can i combine it with http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Connection_Rate ?

i have tried to understand the last three pages of http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/C ... _Megis.pdf but my head nearly scattered and i stopped. in my own case i have 25 clients to connect through one interface, everybody is the same, nothing like basic, standard or business. But HTTP browsing with antivirus software update and DNS is my highest priority.

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:27 pm

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:34 pm

These are my mangle rules.

rgs Pilgrim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

routik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:50 am

Thank you so much. this video link will help me to understand it better. I'm already downloading them.

routik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:04 am

your mangle rules is quite simple in my eyes even though i can't explain them, and you're specifying your LAN IP in it. how did you setup your Queue Tree?
Thanks for your replies so far. the videos are still downloading.
These are my mangle rules.

rgs Pilgrim