Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:57 am

I have a big problem.

I own a RB450G and yesterday I made a firmware upgrade from 2.28 to 2.29
 routerboard: yes
             model: "450G"
     serial-number: "2796017D3BA0"
  current-firmware: "2.29"
  upgrade-firmware: "2.29"
For now the speedtest.net tests decreased dramatically from about 94 MB/s to 32 MB/S with the same configuration.
The RouterOS version is 4.17.

How can I downgrade the firmware back to 2.28?

willy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Downgrade the firmware

Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:45 am

Hello!

Sorry i can't help you how to downgrade firmware, but i think if you answer following questions we are close to solve the problem "root"

1, in the measurement of speed you are use 450G 100Mbit and the uplink connection 1Gbit?
2, you are use 450G port in switch mode?
3, speed changed both directions or just download, and upload is fine?

Thanks!

suse

Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:50 am

I have a big problem.

For now the speedtest.net tests decreased dramatically from about 94 MB/s to 32 MB/S with the same configuration.

copy 2.28 npk into routerboard, check downgrade ,reboot rb450g, I just did it when downgrade from 5.1 to 4.17.

not sure about downgrade to that low version

adi55
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:07 am

@willy:
1, in the measurement of speed you are use 450G 100Mbit and the uplink connection 1Gbit?
100 Mb down/up
2, you are use 450G port in switch mode?
yes
3, speed changed both directions or just download, and upload is fine?
both directions

@suse

I talk about firmware and NOT about RouterOS version

Yours,

willy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:11 am

I have a big problem.

copy 2.28 npk into routerboard, check downgrade ,reboot rb450g, I just did it when downgrade from 5.1 to 4.17.

not sure about downgrade to that low version
Please do not make post if you are not sure about understand the question.
Poster query about how to downgrade the _firmware_ you are answer how to downgrade the OS.
Thanks

adi55
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:20 am

Ok. Maybe I did not understand the question but I know that npk packets refer to RouterOS (witch is 4.17 to me and worked very well until firmware upgrade to 2.29) not to the firmware itself. Maybe I'm wrong. I am really sorry.

If this is true were can I find 2.28 npk package?

Yours,

suse

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:36 am

@adi55,sorry about misunderstood your question,
@willy.sorry too, :(

adi55
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:46 am

nop :D

Ok, anyone can help me downgrade the firmware and not RouterOS?
I need help because now the up/down speed is 2/3 lower than normal

Thanks,

sobrado

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:57 am

Never did a firmware downgrade on a RouterBOARD so these steps may not work at all. My first though would be backing ROS configuration up, downgrading ROS to a version that comes with firmware 2.28 (a not so old ROS 4.x should do the trick), downgrade the firmware (Will "/system routerboard upgrade" allow downgrading firmware? I am not sure if a downgrade is possible or even advisable), upgrade ROS again to 4.17 and recover configuration from back up.

Alternatively, you can try downloading an older firmware from http://routerboard.com/index.php?showProduct=52

On this page there is an "ar7100-2.27.fwf" firmware that looks promising. I am not sure how can this one be applied (perhaps with "/system routerboard upgrade"? rebooting?)

However, I am running 2.29 (in both ROS 4.17 and 5.1) and have seen no problems that I would say are related with RouterBOARD firmware itself. Perhaps MikroTik staff will be interested in a support file from your router.

willy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:12 pm

nop :D

Ok, anyone can help me downgrade the firmware and not RouterOS?
I need help because now the up/down speed is 2/3 lower than normal

Thanks,
If you provide answers to my questions maybe i can help you to reach higher speed...

On question 1, speed means port speed of 450g and not the connection speed.

the following command:

/interface ethernet monitor <port_of_connection>

give answer of this question.

Please check this on internet port (this is the uplink port) and your connection port (where you connect to 450G and measure speedtest.net speed)

Thanks

adi55
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:43 pm

Never did a firmware downgrade on a RouterBOARD so these steps may not work at all. My first though would be backing ROS configuration up, downgrading ROS to a version that comes with firmware 2.28 (a not so old ROS 4.x should do the trick), downgrade the firmware (Will "/system routerboard upgrade" allow downgrading firmware? I am not sure if a downgrade is possible or even advisable), upgrade ROS again to 4.17 and recover configuration from back up.

Alternatively, you can try downloading an older firmware from http://routerboard.com/index.php?showProduct=52

On this page there is an "ar7100-2.27.fwf" firmware that looks promising. I am not sure how can this one be applied (perhaps with "/system routerboard upgrade"? rebooting?)

However, I am running 2.29 (in both ROS 4.17 and 5.1) and have seen no problems that I would say are related with RouterBOARD firmware itself. Perhaps MikroTik staff will be interested in a support file from your router.
That is the answer to my question. The problem was with the firmware 2.29. Now I downgraded to 2.27 and it works very well. I suggest other users to stay away with 2.29

@willy
Thank you very much for your effort and suggestions.

Yours,

willy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:30 am

Thanks for an explanation, but if possible i have some questions for you:
I have long standing problem and seems to similar of your problem, but i need to know. If possible please write me the port speed i think you connect with 1Gbit to internet and 100mbit with 450g.
Also please give advice to users, how to downgrade the board firmware.

Thanks.

sobrado

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 pm

That is the answer to my question. The problem was with the firmware 2.29. Now I downgraded to 2.27 and it works very well. I suggest other users to stay away with 2.29
I am glad to know that a firmware downgrade is a valid workaround to your problem. Did you have a chance to get a support output file for MikroTik technical staff before downgrading firmware? If you had a chance to get one, perhaps a second supout.rif file (this one from a working configuration with firmware 2.27) will help them understanding what is broken with 2.29 on your set up and fix this problem on a future firmware release.

Thanks a lot for sharing with us the downgrade results.

adi55
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:32 pm

I have long standing problem and seems to similar of your problem, but i need to know. If possible please write me the port speed i think you connect with 1Gbit to internet and 100mbit with 450g.

Thanks.
I use ether1 (WAN1) and ether 2 (WAN2) with 100Mb for internet and ether5 with 1Gb both with auto-negotiation. (I have two ISPs). Of course wih load-balancing and failover routines.

Downgrade procedure is quite simple:
1. Download the .fwf firmware file for corresponding product firmware from http://routerboard.com/index.php?showProduct=52.
Drag&drop this file into File Window from Winbox.
2. Reboot.
3. Last operations:
from terminal window:
/system routerboard print
and check the "update-firmware" to see if the downgrade version was "seen". If it is then you will put:
/system routerboard upgrade
which, in this case will do a "downgrade" firmware.

These are the steps I followed to downgrade the firmware to "original".
I hope you will be satisfied with the answers.
If you need more help don't hesitate

Yours

willy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks.
I use ether1 (WAN1) and ether 2 (WAN2) with 100Mb for internet and ether5 with 1Gb both with auto-negotiation. (I have two ISPs). Of course wih load-balancing and failover routines.

Downgrade procedure is quite simple:
1. Download the .fwf firmware file for corresponding product firmware from http://routerboard.com/index.php?showProduct=52.
Drag&drop this file into File Window from Winbox.
2. Reboot.
3. Last operations:
from terminal window:
/system routerboard print
and check the "update-firmware" to see if the downgrade version was "seen". If it is then you will put:
/system routerboard upgrade
which, in this case will do a "downgrade" firmware.

These are the steps I followed to downgrade the firmware to "original".
I hope you will be satisfied with the answers.
If you need more help don't hesitate

Yours
Thanks! Good documentation point to users. I also figured out this over ftp/ssh and works. This will be very useful if
any firmware upgrade make headache and want to back to earlier.
But big warning: Do not downgrade the firmware to lower than the device released! Be careful! Downgrade only if you exactly know what will happen (for example device runs with this version before).
Thanks also the port speeds, i will try testing with fw2.27.