Community discussions

MikroTik App

MartinGrill
just joined
Topic Author

automatic "reverse" SSH tunnel script for remote access?

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:55 pm

Hello,

We are planning to install a RouterOS router behind a DSL modem. The DSL provider only gives out private IP addresses (which are not publically routable), but we'd still like to be able to access the router's web interface remotely (i.e. from off-site).

For ordinary PCs we have (in the past) used a script that automatically establishes a reverse tunnel via SSH from the router to one of our servers. Does anyone know if a similar setup is possible with RouterOS?

Thanks

Martin

briencrean
just joined

Re: automatic "reverse" SSH tunnel script for remote access?

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:07 pm

Hi did you manage to get this working on your Mikrotik? This is exactly what I am also looking for to establish remote access to Mikrotiks.

Thanks
Brien

MartinGrill
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:52 pm

They never implemented this. I've been using PPTP insteadt - works great.

CCDKP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:23 pm

If the DSL modem performs PPPoE, most major models allow you to put them in to transparent bridge mode, at which point you can setup the PPPoE on the MikroTik and get your static IP directly on there. This has a number of nice advantages, but isn't always feasible.

When that doesn't work, you are absolutely right about PPTP tunnels, just make sure you have good firewall policies to restrict traffic, since the tunnel is a two-way street.