MikroTik App

David1234
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

how to show link connection

Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:44 pm

Hello ,
I have a big network and I want to know how the devices are connected to each other(by lan\Wlan)
is there any way to do this? automatically?
when I do this on the Dude - It's doesn't understood
is there maybe an OID about it?
I'm adding a schematic of a simple network (I have 10 devices -here there is only 1)
thank you !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David1234
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: how to show link connection

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:22 pm

anyone?
this is what I see on the Dude , and you cant understand nothing from it.
Thank you ,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:54 pm

Please read the user manual if you have never used SNMP or the dude before. This tool can easily over run the CPU on your network equipment if you get it setup wrong.

First until there is a good understanding of how Devices and Probes are automatically added do not use auto-discover.

Manually add a device, make sure they both contain the same SNMP Community. Add a link between devices, select SNMP in the link settings, Pick the device and the link you want to monitor between the devices.

As an example your router board 10.0.0.1 and your computer 10.0.0.198, double click the link between them, in Device select RB133, in Mastering select snmp, in Interface select the Interface on your RB133 that is connected to your computer, leave Speed blank, in Type select fast ethernet.

Please read all this stuff has been posted many times.

David1234
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:28 am

O.K ,
I'll read all that
thank you - I'm new at this and I'm trying to learn,so this is way I have so many question(some of them are not smart-I know).

I'll read ,but 1 question before - the OID shouldn't be the same for all the system?
lets say oid 1.1.12.3.4 - is the SSID (for exemple)
why in some Router it will show me , and in some wodn't?

thx again lebowski,

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Either that MIB is not populated or that device doesn't support that OID or you don't have SNMP setup correctly. It is not the same OID on every device.

The long answer...
If you have SNMP working you can right click on a device and use snmpwalk under the tools menu. When you open the tree view you will see which OIDs are available on that specific device. The standard for SNMP is an International Standards Organization (ISO) which specifies what values are stored in which OID. This is called a Management Information Block. There are a bunch of MIBs that are mostly extensions of the Internet Management MIB since there is a vendor specific area inside the ISO Internet Management MIB.

The dude comes with the Internet Management MIB and quite a few vendor specific MIBs. You can add others if you need to. The internet management MIB starts at 1.3.6.x. It is actually MIB-2 and as I said there is a vendor OID inside that which starts at 1.3.6.1.4.1.x. Cisco registered with the ISO and was given 9 so 1.3.6.1.4.1.9. is Cisco. Since the Dude automatically reads any OID under 1.3.6.x you do not need to add a MIB file that describes anything under that although if you do you will see the name of the OID instead of the number.

ISO Internet management mib-2
isosnmp.png
Vendor specific area, you can see I added the Cisco mib since you see the name instead of 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.x.x.x.x.x...
enterpries.png
There are other ISO MIBs (not Internet management-2 MIB) I would recommend never adding a MIB unless you know exactly why you are adding it. Also you almost never need to know the name of an OID you are wanting to use, just use the #.

So with out any changes to the dude every OID will start with 1.3.6. but the SSID will be under a vendor area. Cisco's SSID is stored at 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.272.1.1.1.6.1.2.1.X and since you can have multiple SSIDs x increments with each SSID.
snmpoid.png
Also you can see all the MIBs in the Mib Nodes panel.
wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:The_Dude/MIB_Nodes

HTH,
Lebowski

David1234
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:29 pm

now maybe I'm an idiot (it is possible) . so let me tell you what I did - and maybe it will be easier:
1. I have 2 routers RB433
2. both of them are in v5.7
3. I made a simple Wireless connection between them.
4. the SNMP is:
IP-SNMP-SNMP Setting -
enable
Engine ID:none
Trap target: 0.0.0.0
Trap community:Public
Trap Version:2
Trap Generators:none
it's mean that both of them are the same ,right?
in the one that is connected to my computer I see this OID
Users:[oid("iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mikrotik.mikrotikExperimentalModule.mtXRouterOs.mtxrWireless.mtxrWlApTable.mtxrWlApEntry.mtxrWlApClientCount.2")]

in the far away device - I don't see (the same OID)

So I need to go OID after OID to find where is the number of connection in wireless for each device?
and if I have 100 devices?

thank you for the patience ,

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:39 pm

I don't have RB but this should help a bit. So the dude is one of the best object oriented programs I have seen. Many of the objects are accessible at many levels. A device label is a good example of this. The label can be modified on the device, on the map and globally. Unfortunately the label is not modifiable on the device type (feature request?). So if you want "[users()]" on the label of every wireless access point, like I did, you should make one map that only has wireless access points on it then put the label on the map (every device should have the same users oid) If you put it on the global settings every device would try to display the label.

All devices of the same type have the exact same OID for the same object. For example system uptime is exactly 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 on every device that supports internet mib-2. Same goes for MikroTik if MikroTik put wireless users at iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mikrotik.whatever... it is their OID and it is the same on every Mikrotik RB.

Note: MikroTik can make a newer model with a different OID for wireless users but notice it would cause more work to create and track so why should they?

HTH,
Lebowski

David1234
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:32 pm

1. I put the same OID and still don't get the same answer , maybe the problem is time of the OID? or something like this?

2. I'm trying to use RS_Command - [(ros_command("/interface wireless registration-table print " ))] - and again sometime I get answer, and sometime I get nothing.
maybe I do something wrong? in the config of the time or something like this? where can I check it?

Thank you (again , and again....)

el berto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi, is there a way to monitor link status?
I mean, on Dude I can easily monitor Camera (10.0.0.102) and RCU2000-1 (10.0.0.101), but I can reach Camera through RCU2000-1 or (network?) 10.0.0.0.
I would like something alerting me if link RCU2000-1 to Camera would be down even if Camera would be reached from network 10.0.0.0 (instead monitoring link speed).
Is it possible?
Thanks