Community discussions

MikroTik App

yosanpro
just joined
Topic Author

CoA in userman 5.12 to change rate-limit

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:44 am

Hi, I'm using User Manager 5.12, and I want to change rate-limit on the fly at specific time.

By using profiles and limitations, I set rate-limit for specific time range, for example 00:00:00-05:59:59 I assign 512k/512k rate-limit, and 06:00:00-23:59:59 I assign 256k/256k. The problem is when someone logged in during first period of the day (before 6 o'clock), he get full 512k for the rest of the day as long as he stays connected. I've been reading here that both userman and RouterOS' hotspot support CoA, but after setting CoA on both using port 1700, the Userman did not send CoA request on 6 o'clock, so the problem's still there.

So my question is, is it possible for userman to send CoA (specifically rate-limit) at specific time? Do I have to use external radius server (e.g. freeradius) to accomplish that while both userman and hotspot support CoA?

regardtv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: CoA in userman 5.12 to change rate-limit

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Hi there.

We don't make use of usermanager - rather we have our own external RADIUS servers. In the case of the Mikrotik we invariable rather send a PoD as that works. On reconnection the user is then in the appropriate package. On Cisco's CoA works - same code on the Mikrotik's doesn't seem too happy.

Regardt

yosanpro
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:04 am

Well, it's quite possible when using external RADIUS server (although I haven't tried it myself), but most of my clients won't bother to buy extra hardware (PC) which should always on, when they only want simple hotspot captive for a few clients, so I'm asking for possibility to CoA using internal User Manager, and if it's not possible yet, then I won't use it (CoA).

rahulmkhj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:54 am

Well, it's quite possible when using external RADIUS server (although I haven't tried it myself), but most of my clients won't bother to buy extra hardware (PC) which should always on, when they only want simple hotspot captive for a few clients, so I'm asking for possibility to CoA using internal User Manager, and if it's not possible yet, then I won't use it (CoA).
You can use Access Manager, it supports on the fly policy change for Mikrotik. You don't need to have a server. And its free aswell. Check this: accessmanager.in