Community discussions

MikroTik App

qten
just joined
Topic Author

HA router

Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:16 am

Hi All,

I'm trying to work out if i can setup a type of HA router, with some kind of CARP addon?

Basically what I'm trying to do is have 3 routers,

Site A Site B Site C
Router 1 >>>>> L2/VLAN >>>> Router 3

I have Site A & C Connected via L2/VLAN, which is working well, however I want to add a "break out" point at Site B by adding another Router but if site B's router goes down I want site C to pickup the routing

The idea is at Site B I have some other connections I want to access and currently I have to double handle the traffic from site C.

So Site B's power isn't super reliable so I have an extended UPS Setup for the Switches etc, however to run a server on the same length of time would be considerably more expensive and if i could just "fail over" and double handle the traffic again. I imagine this could be possible using something like ucarp by having the "next hop" from site A to point to Site B and then if site B Went offline it could just default to site C as the next hop so to speak.

I'm probably over thinking this so any Ideas, :?

Cheers,
Quenten

dannas
just joined

Re: HA router

Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:54 am

I'm a little unclear about what you are asking but it sounds to me like a dynamic routing policy such as OSPF would achieve what you are looking to do.

- Don