MikroTik App

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

Thu May 24, 2012 11:58 am

RB951-2n and RouterBOARD Metal now shipping to your nearest distributor:

http://routerboard.com/RB951-2n (list price 45$)
http://routerboard.com/RBMetal5SHPn (list price 99$)

The RB951-2n is the home wireless AP you have been waiting for. It has five Ethernet ports and a 802.11b/g/n wireless AP with an antenna built in.

The new, completely waterproof, rugged, and super high powered RouterBOARD Metal. The serious outdoor wireless device. 5GHz 802.11a/n and 1.3W output power

Contact any distributors for more details about availability: http://www.mikrotik.com/buy

rviteri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

Thu May 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Is the 1.5dBi antenna gain on the RB951-2n enough? I think most SOHO routers have a 5 dBi gain.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2012 12:53 pm

Is the 1.5dBi antenna gain on the RB951-2n enough? I think most SOHO routers have a 5 dBi gain.
It works very good even in larger apartments/houses.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 24, 2012 2:14 pm

RouterBOARD Metal
Output power is very good. In most countries it is necessary to comply with the allowable output power.
Unfortunately input Rx sensitivity is the same as the Groove.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2012 2:21 pm

RouterOS allows you to set country, and it will apply regulations. You can also reduce power to acceptable level if you need to.

Also - The RB Metal is CE and FCC certified.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 24, 2012 3:14 pm

RouterOS allows you to set country, and it will apply regulations. You can also reduce power to acceptable level if you need to.
Ok. You wrote so http://routerboard.com/R5SHPn
we can sell R5SHPn only to countries outside European Union. And RB METAL will be sold where? Thanks

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Ok. You wrote so http://routerboard.com/R5SHPn
we can sell R5SHPn only to countries outside European Union. And RB METAL will be sold where? Thanks
No, R5SHPn card doesn't have CE. RB Metal has CE. That's a big difference. So RB Metal you will be able to sell in EU

rviteri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu May 24, 2012 5:38 pm

It works very good even in larger apartments/houses.
The RB751U-2HnD says it has 2x2 MIMO PIF antennas, max gain 2.5dBi. It virtually has no gain in my setup and I used it in a SOHO environment. Is this new RB951-2n better or worst?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2012 8:36 pm

RB751U is more expensive, larger and has more output power.
RB951-2n is smaller, less expensive and has less output power.

ohara

Fri May 25, 2012 12:26 am

Hi, I know about PoE power output in RB750UP, but does the single PoE port in RB951-2n have power output also? Thanks.

mtmx80
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 25, 2012 2:38 am

Why RB951-2n naming? Is it a new CPU or completely new model? I would give it RB751L-2n or something like that.
RB751U/G doesn't works stable for me. Its' wireless performance is not (so) good compared to other SOHO wireless routers. So I don't know who is the target for this new device. Other SOHO router manufacturers has several 3x3 MIMO devices with 3 external antennas in $40-$100 range; more expensive ones comes with dual band support 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I would be happy to see something similar from MikroTik. I would probably buy one of these 3x3 MIMO + external ant routers... but that RB951-2n is something I can't trust. - not because it's bad, but due to bad experiences with 751U-2HnD.

Note: I'm still waiting for RB2011 with wireless. It would be nice to add third antenna and chain to that one. :)

jdevora
just joined

Fri May 25, 2012 3:21 am

Any plans for make a g version of the Metal?

Looks like an ideal device for create a public AP and give access directly to the users (without CPE) but for that, it needs to be able to work in 2.4

Cheers
JD

rviteri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 25, 2012 6:41 am

Why RB951-2n naming? Is it a new CPU or completely new model? I would give it RB751L-2n or something like that.
RB751U/G doesn't works stable for me. Its' wireless performance is not (so) good compared to other SOHO wireless routers. So I don't know who is the target for this new device. Other SOHO router manufacturers has several 3x3 MIMO devices with 3 external antennas in $40-$100 range; more expensive ones comes with dual band support 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I would be happy to see something similar from MikroTik. I would probably buy one of these 3x3 MIMO + external ant routers... but that RB951-2n is something I can't trust. - not because it's bad, but due to bad experiences with 751U-2HnD.

Note: I'm still waiting for RB2011 with wireless. It would be nice to add third antenna and chain to that one. :)
Ditto

soulflyhigh
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 25, 2012 1:06 pm

Routerboard Metal sounds fantastic :)
However, the problem I see with the Metal is the orientation of N-male connector / ethernet port.
Majority of antenna types have a horizontal connector (in properly installed position).
This means that Metal is impossible to mount on such antennas without exposing ethernet port to weather conditions.

Is it possible to rotate N-male connector for 90 degrees in some future model?
Adding externally additional 90'' n-female_to_n-male adapter really isn't solution (increased price and probability of weather isolation's failure due to additional "weak point" in RF chain).

Metal as a new product is a REALLY GREAT IDEA, but in this form we cannot use it without additional 90'' degrees adapter or RF cable with N connectors and this reduces some of the main advantages of this new routerboard.

OrCAD
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 26, 2012 2:24 pm

add a 90° Nmale to N female right adapter..

jspool

Sat May 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Great job, now if you would add 24 volt poe output on the RB951-2 eth1 to power roof equipment you would have the holy grail of solutions. poe for outside equipment, router and access point. and watchdog to reboot router and poe would be awesome!

Regards,
Josh

RB951-2n and RouterBOARD Metal now shipping to your nearest distributor:

http://routerboard.com/RB951-2n (list price 45$)
http://routerboard.com/RBMetal5SHPn (list price 99$)

The RB951-2n is the home wireless AP you have been waiting for. It has five Ethernet ports and a 802.11b/g/n wireless AP with an antenna built in.

The new, completely waterproof, rugged, and super high powered RouterBOARD Metal. The serious outdoor wireless device. 5GHz 802.11a/n and 1.3W output power

Contact any distributors for more details about availability: http://www.mikrotik.com/buy

ohara

Sat May 26, 2012 10:13 pm

now if you would add 24 volt poe output on the RB951-2 eth1 to power roof equipment you would have the holy grail of solutions.
I was thinking about the same. There are examples on the forum where somebody put poe on regular ports, somebody else used to solder mmcx connectors in place of internal antennas. So I am wondering how difficult it would be to enable poe output on one of the eth ports in RB951, and whether it is possible at all using standard electronic equipment.

If this device had at least one poe output port it could power the Groove or other CPE. It would be the ultimate hype in every enduser's hardware installation because it has wireless. Or we just wait for RB951UP and RB751GUP.

taduikis

Sat May 26, 2012 10:25 pm

I vote for higher gain detachable antennas. Ideally with rp-sma connectors. It'd be more versatile that way..

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 27, 2012 9:11 am

Dear Normis...

What's the Ethernet surge protection for the RBMetal5SHPn ?
Any warrantly apply if it damage by the lightning?
and, any additional voltage protection?

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 28, 2012 6:33 pm

How much shielding does this new metal casing offer over the previous Groove?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 28, 2012 6:45 pm

TL-WR841N has 2x2mimo, 2,5dBm detachable antenna (RP-SMA) and 17dBm radio. Shop price is around or below 20$.
RB951-2n is 1x1 (!) siso, 1,3dBm internal antenna (so less receive sensitivity). Shop price in EU not seen yet, but has to be much lower than $ 20!

To stand a change in any sales the RB951-2n has to be half the price as the TP-link or it will simply submerge in the Tsunami of TP-Links flooding the shops on every corner of the street.

MT has a name in routerboards and makes marvelous products in the medium (wireless-)networking segments. But if they want to aim at the lower end of the market they'd better make even cheaper stuff or, come up with devices the competition doesn't have (yet).

Like:
- Poe output (on the cheap models!
- Better/higher antenna gain. (It's not all about sheer output power. The client is still sending with low power.)
- 2x2 mimo or better, start building 3x3 mimo. The competition already has these in their product lines... And make sure both V+H pol are around. Modern devices like mobiles and tablets are not static so basically the AP needs to cover the whole polarization spectrum. Even if that device is only a 1x1.
- Dual radio in the small Home/Soho Box. Steer dual radio devices (a/b/g/n) away from 2,4ghz to 5Ghz band.

Find a way to simply avoid interferences by swapping channels towards more quiet ones in split seconds while running. (So not only at start-up). I've seen it working with other vendor and it works like a charm. You need some intelligence in the OS and CPU power, just what MT already has!
With the capacity of MT-OS and CPU power available MT should, and can, make wireless technology development as a focus for future product. Trying to beat a player like TP-Link in price is a lost battle...

I love MT but to find myself in a position to still buy them in the future they really need to boost up their innovations.

MT really needs someone that looks at the market developments on a world scale. Mobile users are the bulk users of the Wifi of tomorrow. Providers will have to work with more and more crowded spectrum and competition. The only way to stay present is such a market is to be intelligent. Invent products for the wifi of tomorrow. Don't come up products that we needed yesterday....

If you need a strategic 'hand on board' you'll guys know my e-mail! :D

Ciambot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 29, 2012 12:08 am

I'm waiting a simple device with:
- poe output
- switch ports
- 2.4ghz ap (mimo)
- surge protection
- low cost

In short: IDU for wireless CPE!

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 29, 2012 10:34 am

I'm waiting a simple device with:
- poe output
- switch ports
- 2.4ghz ap (mimo)
- surge protection
- low cost

In short: IDU for wireless CPE!
Yes + 1

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue May 29, 2012 11:22 am

- poe output
- switch ports
- 2.4ghz ap (mimo)
- surge protection
- low cost
Can you all write some more about the features you would like to see in such a device? How many ports would you prefer, would you need PoE-in also, can you give me more details on "surge protection"?
TL-WR841N has 2x2mimo, 2,5dBm detachable antenna (RP-SMA) and 17dBm radio. Shop price is around or below 20$.
It's true that there are some very cheap devices, and we are also working on new low cost products. Currently RouterOS needs more RAM and NAND storage, so we can't make it so cheap yet, but we are working on it.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 29, 2012 11:48 am

- poe output
- switch ports
- 2.4ghz ap (mimo)
- surge protection
- low cost
Can you all write some more about the features you would like to see in such a device? How many ports would you prefer, would you need PoE-in also, can you give me more details on "surge protection"?
RB951-2n is nice. But we need power output on one port. How say Ciambot - we need low cost home wifi AP for outdoor wirelles CPE.
We would be pleased if you produce rb951-2n with POE output instead of POE in.

taduikis

Tue May 29, 2012 1:50 pm

I agree with above opinions. We currently deploy outdoor cpe units (sxt's and sextants mostly) and almost everytime we need to setup a local wifi access for typical devices at clients household: laptops, phones, tablets, TVs, etc.. And since such times have come that everyone wants everything as cheap as possible, we always end up with tp-link WAN router, which not only works well but has good looks aswell.. Which believe it or not matters for some people a lot. While we are almost 100% Mikrotik powered these routers are the only non-mikrotik devices in our client setups.

The given suggestions for poe port, it's surge protection and others sound very attractive andvantages for full integration, but I'm afraid that until they start making generic indoor routers with higher gain external antennas for more sensitive reception and some 11n configuration simplification for real 11n speeds it won't sell in high quantities.. Because like someone already said, a 20$ router outperforms and outsells even rb751g-2hnd for ordinary client needs..

RouterOS fancy ain't argument for higher price to an ordinary client.. But we would deploy it anyway if it's price is reasonable for given set of advantages.

And, normis, surge protection for at least one port would be kinda nice feature. At some locations we install them separately, because during summer seasons sometimes lightning fries ethernet ports of the router or pc..

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 29, 2012 3:29 pm

I agree with above opinions. We currently deploy outdoor cpe units (sxt's and sextants mostly) and almost everytime we need to setup a local wifi access for typical devices at clients household: laptops, phones, tablets, TVs, etc.. And since such times have come that everyone wants everything as cheap as possible, we always end up with tp-link WAN router, which not only works well but has good looks aswell.. Which believe it or not matters for some people a lot. While we are almost 100% Mikrotik powered these routers are the only non-mikrotik devices in our client setups.

The given suggestions for poe port, it's surge protection and others sound very attractive andvantages for full integration, but I'm afraid that until they start making generic indoor routers with higher gain external antennas for more sensitive reception and some 11n configuration simplification for real 11n speeds it won't sell in high quantities.. Because like someone already said, a 20$ router outperforms and outsells even rb751g-2hnd for ordinary client needs..

RouterOS fancy ain't argument for higher price to an ordinary client.. But we would deploy it anyway if it's price is reasonable for given set of advantages.

And, normis, surge protection for at least one port would be kinda nice feature. At some locations we install them separately, because during summer seasons sometimes lightning fries ethernet ports of the router or pc..
What can I say, you just prescribed my network and thinking..... 200% second what is written here.

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue May 29, 2012 3:31 pm

+1 for the above. Tplink works Gr8 in SOHO.

We do not require POE -in for the indoor unit but POE out is a must to power up the outdoor CPE etc.
POE-in is like u have made an indoor device but u have its outdoor usage in mind. Like the 751U-2hnD but i do not find it very successfull with the outdoor mmcx connector connected to an OMNI antenna.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 29, 2012 4:14 pm

The POE out is indeed very helpful in reducing the amount of cables. As wireless internet operator I every time again embarrassed how much cables we need.

If this cheap SoHo router with 2x2 powerful V+H-pol antenna array and PoE out than also would have the "repeater" functionality I will have many instances I can even use two of such units.
Now one router (even with the powerful TP-links) is sometimes not enough to cover a big house. Now I hook up a second TP-link.
Given with the above mentioned options I would probably end up installing two MT routers in such instances.

And yes, what normis wrote, the ROS needs a bit more cpu power. But that is exactly where the TP-Links sometimes fail. Their CPU is weak, long boot times and crashes under difficult situations.
MT should use the extra power that their products come with for more intelligent use of the radio's. Use the disadvantage of the more expensive cpu and memory to an advantage by offering features others can't for such a price.....

Ciambot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 29, 2012 5:38 pm

- poe output
- switch ports
- 2.4ghz ap (mimo)
- surge protection
- low cost

Thank you for attention, Normis.
I show you my best/ultimate IDU for wireless costumers. I don't expect it's all developed, but I'd like to have a similar device.

I'd like to have single device that replaces switch, ap wifi, power supply, poe and voip, in customer's lan. A single device has a lot of advantages: about purchase orders, configurations, troubleshootings, telephone supporting, failures, tickets, installing, deploying...

It must have:
- 1 special port to connect odu: spaced from others, poe output, surge protection (protection about ethernet, very important! for grounding shielded cables), more difficult to disconnect cable, different colour LED.
- 4 ports switch
- Ap wifi mimo (for better coverage)
- Fxs voip ports: I know, it is not simple and immediatly, but...

...the way is this: all big telecom companies move in this direction since years, one single and simple device in customer's house, that can simplify all things and lowered costs.

There aren't similar devices in market, few exceptions (alvarion), but they aren't low cost.
Last edited by Ciambot on Tue May 29, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mtmx80
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 29, 2012 5:39 pm

It's true that there are some very cheap devices, and we are also working on new low cost products. Currently RouterOS needs more RAM and NAND storage, so we can't make it so cheap yet, but we are working on it.
Personally I'm not looking to get devices as cheap as TP-Link, but I expect to get device which performs at least as good as their devices do. I think RouterOS is worth those $20-$40 compared to freely available alternative solutions, but the product itself should works well. No unexpected reboots, performance issues, bad signal or slow throughput ...

mtmx80
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 29, 2012 6:56 pm

To be honest I'm looking for MikroTik version of this product: TL-WDR4300 N750 http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta ... TL-WDR4300. It's price is ~$90. If Mikrotik add it's own value and sell it in $130-$150 I will purchase at least 2 of them for home.

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 29, 2012 8:36 pm

Possible the metal model can have only level 3 license ???

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2012 8:12 am

Possible the metal model can have only level 3 license ???
No, the Metal has L4 license.

rviteri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:33 pm

rb751g-2hnd would work well if it would have an external antenna and the endless random reboots were fixed.

I've been looking all over the place for an MMCX connector. When I found it, guess what, it was a 90 angle one and it did not reach all the way in.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:50 pm

rb751g-2hnd would work well if it would have an external antenna and the endless random reboots were fixed.

I've been looking all over the place for an MMCX connector. When I found it, guess what, it was a 90 angle one and it did not reach all the way in.
Could you please clarify what rebooting issue you mean?
The MMCX connector is longer in new RB751U/G models that are shipping for the last 1-2 months.

rviteri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:01 am

Could you please clarify what rebooting issue you mean?
The MMCX connector is longer in new RB751U/G models that are shipping for the last 1-2 months.

Hi,
This is the issue:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61603 I already sent the support file.

I mikrotik recalling older RB751s and swapping them for the ones that have the new connector?

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:51 pm

I vote for higher gain detachable antennas. Ideally with rp-sma connectors. It'd be more versatile that way..
These type of antennas require 4 extra cost item. For each antenna,
1. Soldering (labor) of the 2. the pigtail from the circuit board to the 3. SMA connectors which would have 4. rubber duck antennas screwed into
This would add about $4-$7 to the actual cost, probably around $10 to the reseller, additional components in the supply chain. Defeating the purpose of getting out a $40 all in one router.

I think the 751GUN5+2 someone else suggested with tons of antennas, 5g and 2.4g would probably sell for $150 but only a small fraction of the volume. If that is what you want build it yourself for about $250

1x RB493
2x R52NMH
1x 493 case
2x RP-SMA Pigtail
4x 5dbi rp-sma antenna
1x power supply

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:43 pm

Metal :)))
U should name it "IRON"

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:47 am

1. Soldering (labor) of the 2. the pigtail from the circuit board to the 3. SMA connectors which would have 4. rubber duck antennas screwed into
This would add about $4-$7 to the actual cost, probably around $10 to the reseller, additional components in the supply chain. Defeating the purpose of getting out a $40 all in one router.

I think the 751GUN5+2 someone else suggested with tons of antennas, 5g and 2.4g would probably sell for $150 but only a small fraction of the volume. If that is what you want build it yourself for about $250

1x RB493
2x R52NMH
1x 493 case
2x RP-SMA Pigtail
4x 5dbi rp-sma antenna
1x power supply
TP-Link TL-WR2543ND sells for only € 64,- which is about $ 55,-

rviteri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:10 am

1x RB493
2x R52NMH
1x 493 case
2x RP-SMA Pigtail
4x 5dbi rp-sma antenna
1x power supply
TP-Link TL-WR2543ND sells for only € 64,- which is about $ 55,-
Dude check your math...

64 euros is about 80 US dollars

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:57 am

I would buy RB951U-2n.
DO you plan to add USB in RB951-2n ?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:58 am

Dude check your math...

64 euros is about 80 US dollars
Ha! I'm in Spain and my faith in the euro must already have dropped! haha.
Yes, you're right.

But the message is clear. TP-Link set sort of the price level. MT should do better either in price or features/quality.

Beone
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:29 pm

To be honest I'm looking for MikroTik version of this product: TL-WDR4300 N750 http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta ... TL-WDR4300. It's price is ~$90. If Mikrotik add it's own value and sell it in $130-$150 I will purchase at least 2 of them for home.
+1000 :-)

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:55 pm

+1000 :-)
Orders are counting up now , 1002 already! :)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:14 pm

Could you please clarify what is it that you wish to see in such a device, and why exactly the mentioned model? Has anyone actually tested it? Or you are simply comparing the features? If so, which features you need the most? 3 Chains?

devol
just joined

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:45 am

I think the reason the tp-link device is mentioned, is that is a dual radio CPE with multiple ethernet ports and usb. Mikrotik doesn't have anything integrated into a CPE type device that supports 5ghz and 2.4ghz. (Not even a dual BAND radio, much less dual radios). And while its true you can build your own (or even better versions with something like a RB493), it would be really really nice to have something like a RB751 with at least a dual band radio in it (and antenna), or dual radios. I know I would buy one right now.

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:32 pm

I think the reason the tp-link device is mentioned, is that is a dual radio CPE with multiple ethernet ports and usb. Mikrotik doesn't have anything integrated into a CPE type device that supports 5ghz and 2.4ghz. (Not even a dual BAND radio, much less dual radios). And while its true you can build your own (or even better versions with something like a RB493), it would be really really nice to have something like a RB751 with at least a dual band radio in it (and antenna), or dual radios. I know I would buy one right now.
hi, i would prefer it the mikrotik can make the wireless interface and the ethernet interface same roof.
what i mean is, there is no more bridge required but the wireless interface can as slave of the ethernet...

this can make the data process more faster and no more depend on the cpu...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:44 pm

hi, i would prefer it the mikrotik can make the wireless interface and the ethernet interface same roof.
what i mean is, there is no more bridge required but the wireless interface can as slave of the ethernet...

this can make the data process more faster and no more depend on the cpu...
Sorry, but can you clarify? I don't understand what you meant.

jp
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:27 pm

I think we're forgetting how gain is attained in antennas. For an indoor AP, you want uniform coverage in all directions (which decreases the db rating). High gain is going to lose up and down radiation or coverage.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:36 pm

How about two radios in a box, one for 2.4G and one for 5Ghz, both mimo (prepare for the future, make it 3x3) and each chain should have at least one horizontal and one vertical antenna.
Write some software that swaps between the antennas (per radio) and test the radio link to the client device which antenna chain actually gives the best results (ack)
This is why Ruckuswirelss is performing so much better in indoor environments with their 9, 12 or even 24 antenna's (per radio!). And all just with normal 802.11a/b/g/n chipsets. No proprietary tdma or nothing!
Now Ruckus is very costly and patent protected. But I'll bet MT can make something that is going an end in their direction for much less money without getting the lawyers on their neck.

Any that want to know how real Wifi should work should take a look at www.ruckuswireless.com.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:47 pm

From http://routerboard.com/pdf/414/Metal_5SHPn.pdf it says unit "Must be mounted with ethernet pointing down", can I ask does the unit come with right angle N-Connector adapter as most high gain antenna's have dipoles mounted horizonally.

"Dimensions 177x44x44mm, 193g. Must be mounted with ethernet pointing down"

DiabolixZA

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:56 pm

From http://routerboard.com/pdf/414/Metal_5SHPn.pdf it says unit "Must be mounted with ethernet pointing down", can I ask does the unit come with right angle N-Connector adapter as most high gain antenna's have dipoles mounted horizonally.

"Dimensions 177x44x44mm, 193g. Must be mounted with ethernet pointing down"
wow, I totally missed that. Then this part is misleading, "completely waterproof". Or am I mistaken ?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:26 pm

These 90º N-connectors are a pain. You need to tape them in because on different models we used we found that the pressed-in part is letting water in the internal parts of the connector.
To tape such a 90º connector properly is a pain.

Also, for the signal a 90º corner is not good unless the unit is 1000% perfectly produced which most of the low cost connectors are not...

It would be nice if any manufacturer would come up with a better solution. Like a 45º connector or MT must make a better design.

The original plastic Grooves have 4 tiny little drain holes in the screw-on cap. Actually these are in horizontal position more prone to let water in than to drain any. (Try it under a shower...)
It would be better if these caps were just without any holes at all...
Or only one hole in the body located such that this hole is under where the text and LED are horizontally readable.

I live in a dry climate and have several Groove's horizontally fit. They never have water ingress problems after a shower or even a day long rain. In the beginning we used some with 90º connectors and they all gave issues with moisture after a while. So these are all replaced.

I also fit the Grooves such that in the event some drops of water might flush into the cap through one of the holes it would take some mm of water before any electronic part would be wet. So far we never had an issue with a groove due water ingress....

The metal will have a more sever condensation issue so here vertical fitting might be more important.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:13 am

These 90º N-connectors are a pain. You need to tape them in because on different models we used we found that the pressed-in part is letting water in the internal parts of the connector.
To tape such a 90º connector properly is a pain.

Also, for the signal a 90º corner is not good unless the unit is 1000% perfectly produced which most of the low cost connectors are not...

It would be nice if any manufacturer would come up with a better solution. Like a 45º connector or MT must make a better design.

The metal will have a more sever condensation issue so here vertical fitting might be more important.
90º Adapter if totally sealed with two layers of self-amalgamating tape going in opposite directions will never have issues with water ingress

ohara

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:31 am

on different models we used we found that the pressed-in part is letting water in the internal parts of the connector.
Just an FYI; a connector like this does not have pressed-in parts, so there's no need to tape the whole of it. Only found it recently, cheers.

mtmx80
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:46 am

Could you please clarify what is it that you wish to see in such a device, and why exactly the mentioned model? Has anyone actually tested it? Or you are simply comparing the features? If so, which features you need the most? 3 Chains?
Yes, 3x3 MIMO would be great for short range good performance, while 802.11ac wouldn't be available :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac
3 external (optionally detachable) antennas would be great too. For example I would like to have RB2011 with 3x3 MIMO and 3 external antennas. That would make it even better product.

ricky011

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:18 am

hello,

can someone confirm is the maximum MTU on Metal same as on Groove and SXT 2028 bytes?

thanks!

markom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:43 pm

CPU on RB951-2n diferent MHZ on same RB? how?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:18 pm

please add /system routerboard print output

markom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:42 pm

system routerboard print:

routerboard: yes
model: 951-2n
serial-number: 35F502E387F2
current-firmware: 2.39
upgrade-firmware: 2.39

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Ideal for me:
1. Small device like 951
2. Gb ports like 751G
3. Port ground like 750UP
4. PoE on all ports like 750UP will be fine - but without 750UP bugs.
5. CPU performance like RB433UAH
6. RAM 512 MB
7. Storage 1024 MB will be fine.
8. microSD slot
9. Ideal 2USB Ports like RB433UAH
10. Internal 3G modem will be a plus.
11. 2 Wlan ports or maybe one and a mini PCI for expansion
12. RouterOS 5
13. Price 150-250$ ?

Thanks.

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Ideal for me:
1. Small device like 951
2. Gb ports like 751G
3. Port ground like 750UP
4. PoE on all ports like 750UP will be fine - but without 750UP bugs.
5. CPU performance like RB433UAH
6. RAM 512 MB
7. Storage 1024 MB will be fine.
8. microSD slot
9. Ideal 2USB Ports like RB433UAH
10. Internal 3G modem will be a plus.
11. 2 Wlan ports or maybe one and a mini PCI for expansion
12. RouterOS 5
13. Price 150-250$ ?

Thanks.

that's a great idea...
but i think it may not able to make it due to will creating high cpu temperature...

if the cpu can be at least power pc will be more attractive...

neticted
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:26 pm

When you open RB951-2n there are two u.f.l. connectors for external antenna. Has anyone tried to attach better antennas?

I tried but it behaves as nothing is attached. No signal improvement at all.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:04 pm

When you open RB951-2n there are two u.f.l. connectors for external antenna. Has anyone tried to attach better antennas?

I tried but it behaves as nothing is attached. No signal improvement at all.
It is NOT for external antena. This is conector for manufakturer testing

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:25 pm

I like the IDU - ODU concept. How about a RB250G with an AP, no routing, PoE out on ether1, call it an RB251G-2HnD for this discussion. Your outdoor unit can do all the routing, including using VLANs to separate the AP from the ethernet ports inside the house. SwOS would probably need to be extended to know how to deal with the wireless device.

That way you don't need as much RAM and flash on the indoor unit.

A nice additional integration feature would be to have RouterOS on the ODU, SXT/Metal/whatever, recognize that it is connected to the RB251G-2HnD and be able to configure the RB251G-2HnD device as though it were all one integrated 751G-2HnD type device using the SwOS API. But that wouldn't be strictly necessary.

Most people who are unwilling to run ethernet in the home only need an indoor unit that would be a mythical RB211G-2HnD, probably the size of a Pacific Wireless PoE-24i.

I don't know what is considered a large apartment, but the 751U-2HnD does not quite cover my 2000 sqft (185 m^2) house with where I have installed the RB751U in the ham shack room at one end of the house (YMMV). By "cover" I mean the smartphone doesn't have enough antenna/power to associate from the far end of the 53 ft house. I take that as a sign that my house is too big, or too rectangular, and I should move somewhere smaller. :-) But a RB251G-2HnD I could hook up on the other side of the house would be nice. (Maybe velcro it to the back of the HDTV so I can plug the TV and the BluRay player into it via Ethernet). Then I could turn the power down on both RBs and have perfect coverage in a 3000 sqft (279 m^2) home.

neticted
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:04 am

It is NOT for external antena. This is conector for manufakturer testing
That is strange. Why would that be on production version?

jacekes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm curious about the same thing, however those connectors are not u.fl. It would be great if they were usable.

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Fri May 24, 2013 2:52 am

Has anyone managed to attach an aerial to J101 or J104 on the RB951-2n yet ?
rb951-2n_pcb.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2013 10:01 am

Those are not antenna connectors. They are test points for factory testing