MikroTik App

gmeden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

variation on failover..

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:24 am

Hello,
I have an issue I suspect is related to possible interference but can't conclusively prove it. What I have are six radio's mounted on a tower all using completely different frequencies but 2 seem to sporadically and drastically reduce throughput and are pointed in generally the same direction (maybe 10 degrees separation in paths) . What I'd like to try is to implement some type of script or rule set that basically says "Use IP address "A" as the primary gateway , and if throughput falls below X level by this link , use alternate gateway "B" , when throughput through "A" returns to normal , resort back to "A" path. Is this doable ? I'm a complete noob at scripting so any help would be appreciated.

No takers?...please?

vk7zms
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: variation on failover..

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:20 am

even if you did write a script to do this, I think it would be problematic in that if the load drops below the throughput threshold - the script will activate (as no load = no throughput).

on the other hand, when the throughput is suffering due to interference, the latency would climb significantly, so using netwatch with an appropriate timeout setting to trigger a simple script to change default gateway would probably achieve a better result

gmeden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: variation on failover..

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:01 am

Actually what I'm looking at is the throughput parameter in the wireless/registration/P throughput display as it shows the "pipe" size regardless of any data flow. This all stems from an issue that's recently cropped up for some as yet unknown reason.This particular link shows great throughput , until you start pushing data through it. Then throughput all but dies.