Community discussions

MikroTik App

ceL
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

MAC filtering (access-list)

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to allow just the first 3 octets of the MAC address for example... mac-address=00:0C:42:xx:xx:xx just like a wildcard so anyone that tries to register with my AP which begin with that OUI will be able to connect?

MarTux
just joined

Re: MAC filtering (access-list)

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:28 am

i don't think that it's possible, you must specify exactley the MAC adress in the Access list.
moreover, it's not a good strategy to do that, coz avery one have your three first bytes will be able to access the Network.

ceL
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 am

Well I don't think it's such a bad idea because we have RouterBoard R52 cards and the people around here hardly know anything about computers as it is, plus we use WPA2, I'd just like to use WPA2 and MAC filtering both but I would like to do wildcards to make it easier on myself not having to login to a router each time someone does an installation. Just a pipe dream I guess.

MarTux
just joined

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:46 am

I see, but i don't think that it's possible to make acces lists with wildcard (to my knowledge).

ivaring
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:04 am

But that 3 first values are talking about a vendor, why did u wanted to block or permit a vendor?.

Regards.

ceL
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:19 pm

So that basically we can just authenticate an entire vendor so when we have installations we don't have to go in and authenticate them since we are not using radius yet and we have towers with all Mikrotik CPE's which we use R52 cards in and the vendor starts with 00:0C:42:xx:xx:xx it would just make it easier, I guess now would be the time to put in the radius server though.

CyB3RMX
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:19 am

Still anything?

jfassiano
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Hi mate! I think you can use "/interface bridge filter".
There you have a src-mac-address and a mask to specify.
Regards

karina

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:07 am

Well I don't think it's such a bad idea because we have RouterBoard R52 cards and the people around here hardly know anything about computers as it is, plus we use WPA2, I'd just like to use WPA2 and MAC filtering both but I would like to do wildcards to make it easier on myself not having to login to a router each time someone does an installation. Just a pipe dream I guess.
Why bother with MAC if your network is not vulnerable? To be honest MAC filtering is not at all secure. If someone has the ability to crack you wpa then they will certainly bypass your MAC filter in no time

routing just a little bit of the world

karina

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:17 am

In fact if it were possible to wilrcard MAC address access list it would make it pretty pointless anyway.

routing just a little bit of the world