Community discussions

MikroTik App

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

DO NOT USE CHANGEIP.com for dyn IP

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:39 pm

a while back i setup several dynamic ips with changeip.com becuase the someone wrote a mikrotik script for it.

Well i just WASTED about 6 hours reconfig many of my dynamic IP mikrotiks boxes because for some ridiculous reason change ip requires you to log in every 6 months (keep in mind i have had a NEED TO LOG IN IN OVER 4 YEARS). If i had know this joke of a restriction i would have NEVER used changeip for my system back 6-7 yrs ago when i first started with MT stuff.

So anyway, notice to others, find a better solution for dynamic IPs, change ip is a horrible solution that will eventually mess you over just so the owner get a few more hits to his site (if you dont log in to your account on the website your account gets erased.- keep in mind there is ZERO reason to ever log in).

avoid changeip dyn services.

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: DO NOT USE CHANGEIP.com for dyn IP

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:21 pm

a while back i setup several dynamic ips with changeip.com becuase the someone wrote a mikrotik script for it.

Well i just WASTED about 6 hours reconfig many of my dynamic IP mikrotiks boxes because for some ridiculous reason change ip requires you to log in every 6 months (keep in mind i have had a NEED TO LOG IN IN OVER 4 YEARS). If i had know this joke of a restriction i would have NEVER used changeip for my system back 6-7 yrs ago when i first started with MT stuff.

So anyway, notice to others, find a better solution for dynamic IPs, change ip is a horrible solution that will eventually mess you over just so the owner get a few more hits to his site (if you dont log in to your account on the website your account gets erased.- keep in mind there is ZERO reason to ever log in).

avoid changeip dyn services.
You obviously did not read their terms, and you are obviously using their FREE service... and then complaining about a FREE service! If you PAY for their service, then the periodic login is not required.
We have found that in the vast majority of cases, names that are not active within 6 months are no longer needed/desired. As such, free Dynamic DNS domains are automatically expired by the system after 180 days of account inactivity (no logins, dynamic DNS updates, etc), to make them available again to new customers. Paid dynamic DNS domains, as well as accounts which contain any paid services, are not subject to this policy. To prevent your name(s) from expiring, simply make sure that you update or log in at least once every 6 months!

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:52 pm

I have noticed that as well. They will send you an email notification that the free domain are about to be removed if you don't login, anyway. One can say that if the router does the login, it is the same as logging in using the account. Don't know. May be they do that so if there are some testing configurations, they make sure to remove them so can free up those names. If I recall correctly, dyndns has the same policy though.

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:57 pm

I have noticed that as well. They will send you an email notification that the free domain are about to be removed if you don't login, anyway. One can say that if the router does the login, it is the same as logging in using the account. Don't know. May be they do that so if there are some testing configurations, they make sure to remove them so can free up those names. If I recall correctly, dyndns has the same policy though.
No, this is different from dyndns. On dyndns, updating the IP counts as a login.

On changeip, however, updating the IP address does not count as a "login". The only thing that counts as a login with changeip is going to their website and actually logging in to your account. Again, this limitation is only on their free accounts.

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:27 am

Just because they state this 180 day issue in there terms doesnt mean i should be hesitant to bring this to the attention of anyone who may be using them or is thinking of using them.

Requiring one to log in to a website has nothing to do with updating the IP address of your sub-DNS.

Having your account erased with no WEBSITE login after 180 days is exactly like a DYNAMIC IP ADDRESS (that is, you never know when the old ip will not wont any longer as it has changed). Its a cheap sales gimick versus a useful tool (MT scripts were written to work with the service) to the MT community that has helped the creator and contributed to the popularity of the site/service very much.

u just login and log out of the website, so everyone is clear, its not based on IP updates ( ip updates show the service is still in use and live)

I use VPN clients on all MT devices, to a MT in a datacenter instead now and thus eliminated dynamic ips and use of the change ip service.

n5jtt
just joined

Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

I use them and don't have that problem. I do not log into the web portal very often and they have never deleted my account.