Community discussions

MikroTik App

rahulmkhj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Hotspot + External radius, High latency.. low throughput?

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 pm

Dear folks,

I'm going through a weird problem. I'm using RB1100AHx2 with hotspot setup. And using external radius server for AAA. Everything works fine with 2-3 users authenticated. But, as more users login. The latency goes very high. for example, 8.8.8.8 goes to 600-700ms, while in general it goes till ~40ms and also from within the router latency is normal. And this issue is not just with hotspot interface, but all of the 13 interfaces available on router. When I tried testing speed from some other non-hotspot interface, I get only 2~3Mbps while total available bw on wan is 40Mbps.

What I've tried so far is, created manual queues for bandwidth shaping & everything works fine.

And another issue is with mail.yahoo.com. That won't resolve if hotspot is enabled. While no issue with hotspot disabled. I've tried enable/disable remote dns requests.

I'm using ROS version 5.20.

Thank you,

Rahul..

rahulmkhj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Hotspot + External radius, High latency.. low throughput

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:42 pm

Nobody have no clues ..??
Please help guys.

shivathapa
just joined

Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:29 pm

I'm also facing similar problem with Hotspot + external Radius manager.

- DNS latency goes high when hotspot user has high utilization .

-Shiva

ener
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu May 30, 2013 4:58 pm

can anyone send me how to install dmasoftlab in ubuntu 12.04LTS? please send me link please in my inbox .. thanks

rahulmkhj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 30, 2013 6:26 pm

haven't you contacted DMA Softlab support? They can be helpful more than anybody else, in regard of their application.

ener
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 31, 2013 1:40 am

haven't you contacted DMA Softlab support? They can be helpful more than anybody else, in regard of their application.
im just new to dmasoftlab, i would like to try their 30 day trial, and ive downloaded kinds of versions of trial. just dont know where to start hehehe.. thanks for the reply

rahulmkhj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2013 7:24 am

im just new to dmasoftlab, i would like to try their 30 day trial, and ive downloaded kinds of versions of trial. just dont know where to start hehehe.. thanks for the reply
Even in that case, they will help you in setting it up for demo. And if you may be interested in a free hosted solution, I suggest you check http://accessmanager.in

aacable

Fri May 31, 2013 9:50 am

Dear folks,

I'm going through a weird problem. I'm using RB1100AHx2 with hotspot setup. And using external radius server for AAA. Everything works fine with 2-3 users authenticated. But, as more users login. The latency goes very high. for example, 8.8.8.8 goes to 600-700ms, while in general it goes till ~40ms and also from within the router latency is normal. And this issue is not just with hotspot interface, but all of the 13 interfaces available on router. When I tried testing speed from some other non-hotspot interface, I get only 2~3Mbps while total available bw on wan is 40Mbps.
I'm using ROS version 5.20.
Thank you,
Rahul..
Its not DMA related issue. Its just a radius server (probably residing on your lan/same subnet). There must be some configuration issue or network design fault at your end. Try following.

- First thing First. Upgrade your ROS to latest release that is 5.25 or preferably 6.x Hopefully it will solve your issue related to queues,
in v6, *) fixed queues - router could become unresponsive when configuring queues;
- Do strict monitoring via using RESOURCES , also Goto PROFILES and see what section is eating the CPU
- Make sure there is no virus flooding floating on your network. As HOTSPOT uses default gateway of your mikrotik router, then you must monitor users traffic for junk traffic.
- Reset to factory default, and re configure all your settings.
- Its common that some times troubleshooting takes longer time/downtime then rebuilding new one, specifically in Mikroitk where configuration can be done just in few minutes.