Community discussions

MikroTik App

laie
just joined
Topic Author

Logon with TV into hotspot - experiences

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Hello :)

One of my clients now bought a TV-set with wireless internet-access. Of course now he want's to connect to the hotspot. Will there be any problems with the authorization-process through the TV-set or do I have to buy some other piece of hardware to put a his own private network within the hotspot?

Any experiences on that?

Mike

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Logon with TV into hotspot - experiences

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Both devices would not be of much use if the wouldn't comply with current standards. So no, you don't have to prepare for the worst ;-)

laie
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Just tried it with my Sony. Works once you've logged in via the built-in browser of the tv.

But I don't know if it works that way on other TV's. I will see .....

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:07 am

Why wouldn't it? It's just like any other device connecting to a WLAN. TV makers don't have secret protocols for their even more secret own access points - because they don't build and sell access points ;-)

You don't ask yourself if your client's new notebook or iPad can connect to a WLAN, do you?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:07 pm

for TV set up login via mac-cookie so user does not have to use cumbersome interface of a TV to log into the hotspot. Otherway all of his experience will be - logging into hotspot.

see wiki.mikrotik.com hotspot page for more details.

tevolo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:19 am

I'd like to learn more about the Mac Cookie. I read the wiki, but it seems like the feature may lack some key abilities.

Can you use Mac-Cookie to manually add a Mac address of a TV, Xbox, PS3, Roku, etc. into the User Profile like a binding so that the Mac always ties to the User Profile?
It would be great to be able to have the Mac-cookie get added to a User Profile dynamically whenever the User logs in any device, and then if they need help adding a new device that doesn't have a browser (TV, Roku, etc.), they can simply provide us with the Mac and we an add it to the profile. This way Mac Cookie can always hold onto all Mac addresses tied to a User so they never have to login unless we revoke the Mac, or maybe limit them to a certain # of devices.
Can this feature be achieved with Mac Cookie? :)

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:59 am

if the device has the possibility to login, it is useful to use mac-cookie, that will be created after first login, so you do not use that interface to login again (process that usually is cumbersome). If you want to pass login altogether, you can set up login-by=mac and username=<mac-address>, then device with this mac address will automatically be logged in, and that is the feature you are looking for.

tevolo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:50 pm

It would be a better feature if you can tie Mac addresses to User Profiles instead of the Mac Address login since you lose features and abilities.

When you manage a hotspot with 100's of users by username, and each of them have 5-8 wifi devices, and 1-2 devices without a browser, it becomes very difficult to manage it all. It would be so much better if you can continue to add features to the User Profile and allow to add Mac addresses in there like IP bindings, but it ties to a profile so you can continue to rate limit or limit # of simultaneous devices and add them to certain address lists - otherwise you have to hack everything and it makes it very difficult to troubleshoot.

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:27 am

Both devices would not be of much use if the wouldn't comply with current standards. So no, you don't have to prepare for the worst ;-)
So you are telling customers that if they do not comply with standards they are out of luck, or are you just advising others to do that?