Community discussions

MikroTik App

randyabbey
just joined
Topic Author

Station mode setup

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:34 pm

I have the following setup and cannot get a Mikrotik device to pass data via station mode.

AP v2.9.38
Mode: AP Bridge
WDS Mode: Disabled
Bridge: Bridge1, ether1 and wlan1

I can connect a LS2 unit via station mode to this AP and data will pass through the wlan1 port to the ether1 port to the Internet but if I connect a Mikrotik client to this AP then no data will pass through. Why?

How do I setup a Mikrotik client in station mode and get it to pass data through to the AP?

Since an LS2 unit will connect in station to the AP, I'm assuming that the AP is configured correct. This is a Mikrotik station mode issue.

Please Help!!!

Viroslash
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Station mode setup

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:56 pm

The mode should be "station", not "ap bridge". I'm right?

randyabbey
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:25 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge as to how to setup a Mikrotik client in station mode?

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:43 pm

You have to route if you're using station mode. Either that or setup an EoIP tunnel.

***YOU CAN NOT BRIDGE A WIRELESS INTERFACE IN STATION MODE***

You have to use station-wds, or in v3 you could use station-psuedo-bridge (not exact syntax but it's somthing like that).

If you use mode=station in 2.9.xx you must route.

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:54 pm

You have to route if you're using station mode. Either that or setup an EoIP tunnel.

You have to use station-wds, or in v3 you could use station-psuedo-bridge (not exact syntax but it's somthing like that).

this has been coverd in many many posts before, and is the whole reason station-psudobridge was created. It works great so far in our testing, and saves us a ton of overheard not needing to use WDS anymore.

randyabbey
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:02 am

Can you tell me what I have to setup to do this routing or point me to the thread that covers this? I've installed v3 on a few routers and for me it is unstable. I'm waiting for it to get out of beta before I start installing on my production environment.

What commands need to be added to a station client for it to pass data across?

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:05 am

Can you tell me what I have to setup to do this routing or point me to the thread that covers this? I've installed v3 on a few routers and for me it is unstable. I'm waiting for it to get out of beta before I start installing on my production environment.

What commands need to be added to a station client for it to pass data across?
I think there are references in the manual and wiki, but in the event there aren't you can take a look at this sample script I use to setup our CPE's/mikrotik devices as routers.
/interface wireless set wlan1 mode=station

/ip address add address=192.168.100.1/24 interface=ether1

/ip firewall nat add chain=srcnat src-address=192.168.100.0/24 action=masquerade
/ip firewall connection tracking set enabled=yes

/ip dns set allow-remote-requests=yes

/ip pool add name=dhcp1 ranges=192.168.100.200-192.168.100.254

/ip dhcp-server network add address=192.168.100.0/24 gateway=192.168.100.1 dns-server=192.168.100.1
/ip dhcp-server add interface=ether1 lease-time=3d address-pool=dhcp1 authoritative=yes add-arp=yes name=dhcp1
/ip dhcp-server enable dhcp1

/interface pppoe-client add interface=wlan1 user=default password=changeme add-default-route=yes use-peer-dns=yes

/system ntp client set enabled=yes primary-ntp=aa.bb.cc.dd
/system clock set time-zone-name=America/Los_Angeles

/snmp set enabled=yes
/snmp community add name=xyz address=0.0.0.0/0 read-access=yes
/snmp community remove public
That example uses a PPPoE interface for connectivity. If you are not using PPPoE then you'll have to modify the script to suite your needs.

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:11 am

this has been coverd in many many posts before, and is the whole reason station-psudobridge was created. It works great so far in our testing, and saves us a ton of overheard not needing to use WDS anymore.

Forepoint:

I was trying to send a private message as the question I have doesn't really pertain to this post.. anyway I was unable to do so...

Are you able to pass PPPoE traffic through the CPE's setup in station-pseudobridge mode?

I would like to do away with our WDS clients as it causes much overhead and for most clients transparent 802.1d bridging is not required. I thought I saw something about the Pseudo-bridge mode not allowing PPPoE passthrough... Anyway if it does, it's definitely something to look forward to in ROS v3.

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:26 am

I was trying to send a private message as the question I have doesn't really pertain to this post.. anyway I was unable to do so...

Are you able to pass PPPoE traffic through the CPE's setup in station-pseudobridge mode?

I would like to do away with our WDS clients as it causes much overhead and for most clients transparent 802.1d bridging is not required. I thought I saw something about the Pseudo-bridge mode not allowing PPPoE passthrough... Anyway if it does, it's definitely something to look forward to in ROS v3.
sorry for the slow response, didn't see your message... and no for some reason I can't send PM's either...

yes, we are passing PPPoE through station psudobridge just fine. just ensure that there is only one device plugged into ether1 otherwise you're going to see some really odd symptoms if there are 2 machines (even if only 1 is active, the arp traffic will cause the psudobridge to re-configure it's self and screw things for both machines connected.

my favorite thing about psudobridge, aside from not having WDS and the delay it causes when connecting, as well as that overhead, is that the default forward option actually does something again, and when you run winbox from a customer's house, you only see, their CPE, the AP, and the PPPoE server (assuming the discovery interface is enabled...)

thinair

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Just tried to disable default forward on a pseudobridge CPE and its greyed out.. we're running 3.11
Any thoughts?

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:52 pm

Just tried to disable default forward on a pseudobridge CPE and its greyed out.. we're running 3.11
Any thoughts?
option only exists on the AP side... disable it at the AP and it affects all clients connected