Community discussions

MikroTik App

tabate47
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

New Hex Router Wan to Lan Speed

Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:16 am

Can the new Hex router handle 1000mbps wan to lan speed?

If not, what has anyone tested it to handle?

Right now we have 300mbps download speeds in our area, but gigabit speeds are on the way.

lordkappa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: New Hex Router Wan to Lan Speed

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:48 am

Ha ha. A ha ha... This guy. That's a good one.

Quote Routerboard.com:
10/100 Ethernet ports - 5
10/100/1000 Ethernet ports - None
Last edited by lordkappa on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:50 am

If you want to process this traffic, it will take a toll on the speed.
If you don't want any processing, only a private IP in your LAN, you can enable Fasttrack for the LAN IP addresses and get maybe even 900Mbit. Depends on what you need the router for.

lordkappa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:54 am

If you want to process this traffic, it will take a toll on the speed.
If you don't want any processing, only a private IP in your LAN, you can enable Fasttrack for the LAN IP addresses and get maybe even 900Mbit. Depends on what you need the router for.
Likely not on this model, though... Considering it only has 100M ports.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:56 am

hEX has Gigabit ports http://routerboard.com/RB750Gr2
hEX lite has 100Mbit ports http://routerboard.com/RB750r2

Question was about hEX

lordkappa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:59 am

hEX has Gigabit ports http://routerboard.com/RB750Gr2
hEX lite has 100Mbit ports http://routerboard.com/RB750r2

Question was about hEX
Normis is correct. My mistake.

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:56 pm

best throughput in a lab environment according to MikroTik is 986.1 Mbps. In a real world scenario, I would not choose a device that is under a gig in the lab as you will most certainly not be able to replicate the perfect conditions of a lab. Depends on your application, but we typically use CCR1009 for applications that require a gig or more (previously we used the 1100AHx2 before the 1009 came out)

In a home environment it may not be a big concern, but in a business, we rarely spec a router that just barely meets the throughput scenarios because things like firewall rules, packet size and queuing all come into play and need resources.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:07 pm

i had some hEX in my use. between previous 74k-based 951/2011 680Mhz its from 30% to 250% faster, depend situation/usage/traffic. which is amazing cuz even at idential clock(its may be OC'ed to 840Mhz at `1.5'C temperature expense) its nearly 1.5x faster, boot up 5x faster more responsive both in routing and management.
my verdict: 955x atheros/qualcomm chips are amazing.
im personally bough one hEX even for my home use too. and finally ditched glitchy/persistenly misbehaving ERL, replacing with it.
of course they are based on ancient core/generation, so eventually will be replaced by 1004k-based brothers(MIPSBE 2-4cores, 2 threads per core, better imc and cache, bit better scheduler, ipc)and augmented by arm and warrior-based SoC from atop, but they really well made, anyway.
and aside homepersonal use its also excellent product for small companies, entry-level ISP and builders. wonder if there any "rugged" thick metallic case made by some company for such harsh conditions, btw.
so team/engineer, designing this product - really earned a cookie.

p.s.
such device with slightly increased CPU caches and real FPU(ie with 74kf cores) can live LOOOONG life as "low-end" router, in my opinion. later replaced by 1004k devices, demoted there too, eventually(over time), too.
its also had nice exterior. both color, size/shape and ergonomic. just what i expect from that kind of devices.
Last edited by Zorro on Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tabate47
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:43 pm

How do you read the speed chart that is put out by Mikrotik? There are three different levels of speed: 1518 byte, 512 byte, and 64 byte. Which one is the real number to go by?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:51 pm

I have written here several times. Look at 512B column in the last line.

tabate47
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Ok, then in theory, the new hex should be able to handle 300mpbs with little problem.

patrikg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:06 pm

Should this line be on this device on the
http://routerboard.com/RB750Gr2

USB slot type USB type A

Should it note be:

USB slot type None

Or ??

On the picture the USB port plugged.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:24 pm

some was report that their had not soldered port, but support feature on firmware.
if thats true - you can manually put port on PCB if you wish, but 955x CPU power isn't make any filesystem transer really well-performing, regardless protocol and storage used.
i was just looked at one, sitting behind mine and seems nothing behind "USB"-labeled plastic cover. its still warranty-covered so i try disasebly it later to check :) someone with fiber-optic devices can look inside their, but i can't had any of such :)

as for hEX performance - if you reading tables in device description - keep in mind that average consumer - somewhere "in middle" in terms of both used config, traffic fragmentation, pps and actual demands/expectations.
so even in worst case - you atleast guarantee thats 100Mbs interfaces will be ALWAYS saturated, which isn't happen on previous 74k devices from MT. some was reported numbers between 200-400 as "usual", but you shouldn't expect much from $60 device.
generally its nearly 3x faster than 951g or fat 2011 subversions for comparison and to my surprise.
also 8337 switch chip are really good. all latest versions, with or without hardware nat support. one of last - also support things like MacSec and PortSec, but RouterOS didn't support much 802.1x features for Ethernet interfaces yet, to my surprise.
cuz its specifically-designed thing for endpoint security of connectivity and had several extensions(aside mentioned above) to increase both security and reliability of such.
but 74k golden era is gone, anyway, in my opinion. so far Ubicom-based SoC was fill that gap better, but Qualcomm not considering invest into R&D of new chips of this arch/SDK or using them, sadly, yet. fine fine-grained(less latency and harder real-time) "supervisor" core/process in their SDK/firmware that would be unbelievable cool devices in terms of die/latency/price/consumption/scalability ratio/mix. and sad to see this IP collecting dust, unused, thus.