Community discussions

MikroTik App

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

cant make GPON ONU to work

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:26 pm

Hello all, I have an Alcatel I-240W-T which my ISP provided me as modem (telmex prodigy México), it uses fiber optic to get internet. I want to skip the ISP provided router and use my own a RB2011 + GPON ONU from Mikrotik, but I cant make it work.

This is how I tested:

Alcatel I-240W-T in bridge mode and connected via ethernet to mikrotik router, then pppoe dialing, internet works perfect!

Get rid of the Alcatel I-240W-T and plug fiber directly into the GPON ONU + RB2011, then pppoe dialing, I can't get internet at all, pppoe cant get connected, I also cloned the Alcatel mac address into the GPON ONU sfp device and that wont work either.

Any suggestion?

G2Dolphin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: cant make GPON ONU to work

Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:05 pm

Sometimes you need to clone an ONU ID and a password to connect too. But this is impossible on ONU from MikroTik.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:38 pm

Sometimes you need to clone an ONU ID and a password to connect too. But this is impossible on ONU from MikroTik.
And therefore will need to contact the ISP to allow new GPON device

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:56 pm

Thank you I will try with my ISP!

ToTheCLI
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:10 am

What is the Serial Number format of the SFPONU is it 16 Hexadecimal Digits (0123456789ABCDEF)?

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:50 pm

My ISP just said, they will only support my actual Alcatel Router (they provided me that one), so they just ignored my request about the new Mikrotik GPON.

Mikrotik GPON serial pattern: 15 digits, example: FG1537TWGPA04T8
Alcatel GPON serial pattern: 12 hex digits (starting with ALCL), example: ALCLF0824B23

ToTheCLI
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:24 am

It turns out the SN isn't written on the module itself and the numbers written are for the product itself not what the SFPOUN uses to authenticate with the OLT and the SN starts with: MKTKxxxxxxxx (x being hexadecimal digits)

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:03 pm

thanks, is there a way to find out the MKTKxxxxxxxx SN?

ToTheCLI
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:08 pm

Try using ethtool commands like
# ethtool -m <interface>
I will receive one tomorrow will see what I can find.

thefkboss
just joined

Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:20 am

Hi
Could someone upload a screen capture of the spf menu?
I have bought the new module but, when I pluged in, it dosen´t appear name, version or serial number, I don´t know if the module is faulty
I have tried with RouterOS v6.33.5 and RouterOS v6.34rc34
I have CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD frimware version 3.24 and CRS226-24G-2S+ frimware version 3.22
Thanks

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:43 pm

Try this: Connect the GPON ONU on SPF then REBOOT Mikrotik Router OS, then It should work, I can take screen shot for you.

thefkboss
just joined

Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:26 pm

the problem persist
spfgpong.png
rsz_20160114_161102.jpg
please take a screenshot and another for the gpon
thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:05 pm

I experienced the same problem as you, set autonegotiation OFF, and then set a link to 1gbps, screenshot is coming

That only happened when I plug the GPON on SPF+, on regular SPF it works normal.

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:48 pm

Here it is
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:51 pm

At this case, no fiber optic cable was connected, just plugged to screenshot purposes, I still cant get the Serial number MKTKxxxxxxxx pattern, thats the one I need to tell my ISP, but I dont know how to get it...

ToTheCLI
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:30 pm

I think it is possible to obtain the MKTKxxxxxxxx SN by reading the eeprom of the module and then searching for the hex code: 4d 4b 54 4b (which is hex for MKTK) the 8 hex digits after it will give you the rest of the SN if you have a SFP PCIe adapter then just boot linux open terminal and write: sudo ethtool -m <Name given to PCIe adapter>
That wil give you a dump of the eeprom of the SFPONU in which you could search for the SN.
I got the SFPONU last week and next week the SFP PCIe adapter will arrive then I will check if this method works or not. :D

thefkboss
just joined

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:29 pm

with spf and with spf+
spf1.png
spf2.png
spf3.png
something else to try

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:08 pm

Check this table, maybe something is broken with the GPON or it is not compatible with your Routerboard

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_ ... lity_table

Please post more information about the MKTKxxxxxx when you have available information....

Thank you all

thefkboss
just joined

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:27 pm

CRS125-24G-1S compatible
CRS226-24G-2S+ compatible
form http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_ ... lity_table
that´s my hardware
what do you mean with MKTKxxxxxx ?
GPON serial number? How to get it?
thanks

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:30 am

the MTKTXXXXXX was a message to ToTheCLI, we are trying to find the device SN wich is the one is needed for the ISP for auth purposes.

Maybe something is broke with your GPON device :(

samedi
just joined

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:44 am

Any luck with this, diablonet? Did you manage to get your sfponu to work with your isp?

Revelation

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:15 am

with spf and with spf+

something else to try

Looks like you may have a defective SFP module if it isn't even recognized by your Mikrotik. You can also try looking under the webfig to see if you get additional information.

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:35 pm

Any luck with this, diablonet? Did you manage to get your sfponu to work with your isp?
It didnt worked, my device is not allowed to connect into my ISP network, they need to register my device but I dont know how to get the Mikrotik GPON S/N.

Mikrotik GPON serial printed in the device: 15 digits, example: FG1537TWGPA04T8
Alcatel GPON serial pattern (my ISP device): 4 letters + 8 hex digits (starting with ALCL, brand shortname), example: ALCLF0824B23

as ToTheCLI suggested maybe it is a Mikrotik GPON serial like this inside the device: MKTKxxxxxxxx (x being hexadecimal digits) and MKTK a brand shortname, witch matches my ISP serial patter (8 hex digits), but we dont know how to get this since it is not printed in the device and not shown in the Mikrotik, maybe Normis can clear this up.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:53 pm

they need to register my device but I dont know how to get the Mikrotik GPON S/N.
You don´t need know your S/N. Conect your GPON module to ISP network. Then call your ISP.
He sees a new client in the "OLT discovery" and register it.

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:35 pm

they need to register my device but I dont know how to get the Mikrotik GPON S/N.
You don´t need know your S/N. Conect your GPON module to ISP network. Then call your ISP.
You will not believe how "amazing" my isp is related to support, if you call the service number, the operators are clueless...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:42 pm

You will not believe how "amazing" my isp is related to support, if you call the service number, the operators are clueless...
Most likely you need to get to higher level support, try to get to the tech people, no the call center

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:49 pm

It seems now with the latest version of Mikrotik (now on beta) you can see the GPON serial number:

*) ethernet - add option to see S-GPON-ONU module, GPON side SN in "/int eth mon sfp#"

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:18 pm

I suspect all efforts will go nowhere unless your upstream ISP configures their device to talk to your device.

For my head-end, I use Adtran TA-5000 units. Every new ONT connected and every replaced ONT connected requires some admin configurations be made when a new or replaced ONT is connected.

If I had a customer asking if they could use their own ONT, I would think about it and possibly want to test it, but in the long run, I would NOT support it - unless the ONT came from me.

There are just way to many one-off things needed for a one-of-a-kind customer owned ONT. Such as management, NAT, bridge, SIP, and QOS rate-limiting bandwidth control, network monitoring and automatic firmware and vendor configuration upgrades - and potential security issues on the GPON network.

North Idaho Tom Jones

draguzet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:42 pm

What if we need enter password for ISP to work with it ?
There is no option to enter password, like on TP-Link GPON external device ?

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:50 pm

What if we need enter password for ISP to work with it ?
There is no option to enter password, like on TP-Link GPON external device ?
Our supplier "Titan Wireless" does not have any Mikrotik GPON sfp adaptors yet. So I am unable to order one to test it out.

However, from what I would guess... I would suspect the GPON adaptor would not need a password. I suspect it would almost be transparent on the client side and would function very close to a normal SFP adaptor Ethernet interface. They might be some SFP diagnostic information to the client router/switch/Mikrotik-device. Most of the intelligent configurations would likely be made in the ISP upstream GPON head-end equipment. But even then, when I configure a new ONT to work on my GPON network, I have to configure the following:
- ONT (GPON) serial number
- Line Card
- Port
- ONT number in the GPON pool
- Connecting Ethernets on the client ONT device
- Bridging - or Residential Gateway
- ONT diagnostic distance and signal strength to/from client ONT
- ONT firmware and upgrades
- ONT configuration file
- ONT bandwidth control up/down limits
- Ability to remotely reset/reboot the ONT
- Ability to remotely connect and execute diagnostics on the remote ONT
- SIP (VoIP) ((( A problem with Mikrotik not supporting SIP devices )))
and the list goes on and on...
- ONT Power status (on battery ???) and how to function if power is out and running on battery?

Normally the upstream ISP has control and access to all of the above items (and much more).

After thinking quite about this, I might even consider it a potential GPON network security issue if 100 percent of the customer ONTs do not come from my ISP and managed by my ISP.

My point is that an end user trying to replace their GPON connected ONT with a Mikrotik using a Mikrotik GPON adaptor without their ISP working with them may be a go-nowhere process. The Mikrotik ONT GPON sfp adaptor is more of an upstream ISP tool and product which can be used with/for ONTs fully owned/managed by the ISP - not the client.

North Idaho Tom Jones

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:32 pm

Thank you Tom Jones, your info is very helpful, I have 2 brand new Mikrotik GPONS, that I cant not use, kinda brick for now :D

Maybe at some point, my ISP will support it.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:44 pm

You would be more than welcome to donate them to me for GPON testing :)

What did they cost you ?

North Idaho Tom Jones

draguzet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:46 pm

I do not understand, why is not possible to make configuration of GPON, like TP-link GPON adapter have, http://www.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TX-6610_V4_UG.pdf , because there are obviously many ISP that require this autentification to work with GPON
gpon.png

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:14 pm

I do not understand, why is not possible to make configuration of GPON, like TP-link GPON adapter have, http://www.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TX-6610_V4_UG.pdf , because there are obviously many ISP that require this autentification to work with GPON
gpon.png

I am guessing that screen may be related to some type of a PPOE login. Where the device/user has to supply a login & password to connect to the network. This really has little or northing to do with the ONT serial number seen at the upstream ISP.

I do not use PPOE. If I did, then I would suspect to configure a new ONT customer client, I would then need the ONT serial number I would see from the customer ONT device to allow it to connect to my network. Then the PPOE login/password information to allow the traffic to authenticate to my network.

My guess is
1st - the upstream ISP GPON network equipment must see the GPON serial number (and that serial number be configured in the head-end ISP equipment. Like a layer 1/2 physical connection.
2nd - the PPOE login is then used to authenticate the customer IP connection at a layer 3 level.

North Idaho Tom Jones

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:44 pm

I got them from here: http://www.ispsupplies.com/brands/Inter ... N-ONU.html
Paid $89 USD each + shipping to México.

I will keep them in case my ISP support them.

draguzet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:12 pm

I am guessing that screen may be related to some type of a PPOE login. Where the device/user has to supply a login & password to connect to the network. This really has little or northing to do with the ONT serial number seen at the upstream ISP.
No, this password are not PPOE login, these are GPON password to autentificate with ISP.
As told in TPlink manual: "Do not mix up the user name and password with your Terminal account user name and password which are needed for PPP connections"

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:45 pm

No, this password are not PPOE login, these are GPON password to autentificate with ISP.
As told in TPlink manual: "Do not mix up the user name and password with your Terminal account user name and password which are needed for PPP connections"
Thanks - learned something new...
My GPON system (Adtran TA-5000 units with iPhotonix ONTs) do not have this - that I know of. I have user/password to admin my Adtran and user/password to admin my ONTs - and the Adtran also has some ability to admin the ONTs.

North Idaho Tom Jones

vipe
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 22, 2016 7:47 pm

how to set gpon LOID?

solaoxo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:32 pm

I am here to support LOID certified in the ROS in the correspondingauthentication interface?

solaoxo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:38 pm

Was originally looking for GPON ONU module, look at this situation, bought does not take, or forget. TP-LINK is a good, cheap and easy to use, good compatibility.

rakutens
just joined

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:01 am

From China, LOID not is Module Vendor SN,

Vendor SN in EEPROM A0H, Address 68~83 Byte, Size is 16 Byte,

Loid in EEPROM A2H, Address 190~213 Byte, Size is 24 Byte

And....

Password for Loid in EEPROM A2H, Address 214~225 Byte, Size is 12 Byte

So....

Your need wirte to EEPROM for change Loid 

josefk
just joined

Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:12 pm

Hell,
i am actually owning a flasher for the eeproms on sfp modules. And i already used it with succsess!

Now i would wonder where i have to write the OID (sn) and if i want to use sn+password authentication... where should i write the password to?

I know that SN is at A0 memory starting at 0x44.
So whats the adress of password if needed? (Im guessing its somewhere at A2) And do i need to set some aditional byte/s?

Would really apreciate answer from somebody! Thanks

HackGPON
just joined

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Hell,
i am actually owning a flasher for the eeproms on sfp modules. And i already used it with succsess!

Now i would wonder where i have to write the OID (sn) and if i want to use sn+password authentication... where should i write the password to?

I know that SN is at A0 memory starting at 0x44.
So whats the adress of password if needed? (Im guessing its somewhere at A2) And do i need to set some aditional byte/s?

Would really apreciate answer from somebody! Thanks
I would like to know the answer to this as well.

lty1993
just joined

Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:22 am

Looks like changing the SN in the MAS EEPROM does not effect the SN which used to do the GPON handshake.

The chipset is Marvell MC-88F6601, but I cannot get any reference manual for that chip without signing the NDA. Looks like we have to reprogram the Marvell chip to change the GPON SN.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mikrotik GPON & Adtran TA5000 - help - can't make talk

Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:43 am

Mikrotik GPON & Adtran TA5000 - help - can't make talk

I hope somebody/anybody can offer some advice/suggestions.

Today, I received two Mikrotik GPON SFP Modules. I have one of these I am trying to bring up.

My Adtran TA5000 does see the Mikrotik GPON device
From my Adtran TA5000
!
remote-device ont 5@1/20/1.gpon
mac-spoofing-allowed enable
serial-number "MKTK0c1505f8"
no shutdown
!

So at this point, I know my Adtran auto-discovered the Mikrotik GPON SFP module.
I am trying to figure out what to do next...
In my Mikrotik, Interface-->--SFP
I do not see any fields auto-populated.

I tried some basic stuff such as configuring my Adtran with some of the common configurations I use to talk to other client customer GPON devices and got nothing
I tried some basic stuff with the Mikrotik SFP interface (vlans - dhcp client ... ) and got nothing
On my Mikrotik under Interfaces-->--Status it does not show a link. (however the Mikrotik GPON SFP does show up in the Adtran TA5000)

From my Adtran TA5000
TA5000-3#show remote-device ont 5@1/20/1.gpon
remote-device ont 5@1/20/1.gpon is IS and up
Uptime : 0 days, 01 hours, 22 minutes, 34 seconds
Description : MKTK0c1505f8_Mikrotik-ONT-MKTK0c
Activated Serial Number : MKTK0c1505f8
CLEI :
Software Version : <forced-A>
Inactive Software Version : <forced-B>
Boot Software Version : na
Upgrade Status : Upgrade Completed
Part Number : 2.7-D-P5
Product Name :
OLT Rx Power (RSSI) dBm : -8.6
ONT Rx Power dBm : -10.9
ONT Tx Power dBm : 2.1
Upstream BIP : 27416
Downstream BIP : 8
RDI : 0
RX Ploam CRC Error : na
US Good DBRu : na
US Bad DBRu : na
Equalization Delay bit : 300849
Fiber Distance m : 836
ACS Server Profile :
ACS Username :
Management Mac Address : 00:00:00:00:00:00
Last Error :

TA5000-3#

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Note - If/when I manage to get things talking, I plan to post a full-detail step-by-step procedure for the next person trying to do the same thing.

North Idaho Tom Jones

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:35 am

Related to my prior post about the Mikrotik GPON SFP module...

I did manage to find some almost potential helpful information.

I found the following:
MikroTik SFP module compatibility table http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_ ... lity_table
At the bottom of this document, I found:
S-GPON-ONU
Confirmed OLT device manufacturers that work with this GPON ONT module.
ZTE
Huawei
Alcatel-Lucent
Calix
Adtran
BDCOM
Some basic configuration examples for quick test:
Huawei
ZTE
Article: link

So I followed the link " Article: link" to see "Some basic configuration examples for quick test:" at
GPON module basic test examples http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/GPON_modu ... t_examples

And there is nothing for an Adtran :( me sad

Can somebody please provide a Adtran quick basic test configuration example
And then update the Mikrotik wiki http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/GPON_modu ... t_examples

dihrmax
just joined

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:02 pm

I already use GPON ONU Module with Adtran TA5004 and work fine.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:49 am

I already use GPON ONU Module with Adtran TA5004 and work fine.
dihrmax - I would like to ask you what procedure/configuration did you perform to get the Mikrotik SFP GPON module to talk to your Adtran TA5004 ?

I am pretty strong on a Mikrotik and Cisco devices - however I am very very weak on an Adtran-TA5000. I do however have many iPhotonix GPON devices up and running on GPON.

Here is what I have to work with:
- My Adtran TA-5000 shows the following:
!
remote-device ont 2@1/20/1.gpon
description "MKTK0c150621_Mikrotik-MKTK0c1506"
mac-spoofing-allowed enable
serial-number "MKTK0c150621"
no shutdown
!

My Adtran TA-5000 has the following s-tags:
s-tag 11
s-tag 246 (This is where I want my Mikrotik SFP to talk - aka Vlan246 - my data Vlan)
s-tag 12
s-tag 10
s-tag 100
s-tag 600

My Mikrotik SFP GPON module is inserted into a Mikrotik 2011UiAS-2HnD (the red mikrotik with five 1-gig ports and five 10/100 ports and one SFP and one wilreless
The only configuration I have on my Mikrotik is an IP address on one of the Ethernet ports.

Would please post a sample (step-by-step) configuration of what should go into the Adtran TA-5000
-and-
What Winbox screens should be able to see anything on my Mikrotik.

Any help/advice/configuration information is very much welcome.

North Idaho Tom Jones

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:51 am

Well - today I finally got a Mikrotik (( 2011UiAS-2HnD )) with a Mikrotik GPON SFP talking to my Adtran TA-5000 head end.

You can pretty much forget about using google for help on this topic (Mikrotik GPON to Adtran) --- I found nothing after a month of searching.

What you need to do is configure the head-end for your GPON network to treat the Mikrotik GPON SFP module like a regular GPON bridge device (NOT a residential gateway).

The Mikrotik SFP interface does NOT need a vlan - - Treat the Mikrotik SFP interface with the GPON module inserted just like a regular Ethernet connection.

---
FYI
I still have a lot of work to try and test. I want to get it to pass vlans - and possibly get a SubH (out-of-band-management) working on my Mikrotik.

North Idaho Tom Jones

dendzo
just joined

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:13 am

My provider is using Calix as CPE. My problem is that provider does not offer bridge mode, so I can't get public IP on my MikroTik, and NAT wouldn't work for me. I have purchased MikroTik S-GPON-ONU and I will try connecting it to connecting it to my provider this days.

Can I somehow clone all info from Calix and put it in GPON/MikroTik? I have all necessary EEPROM flashers.

I have asked my provider and they are not allowing me to use anything other then what they provided.