Community discussions

MikroTik App

stef123
just joined
Topic Author

Small Home/Office setup

Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi.

Need some guidance with a home office setup please. 

I have looked at various web content (some good, others not so) but I'm still not sure what is the best approach. 
What I want to achieve:
The network description:
office solution.png
Objectives:
1. Office, Home and VoIP networks cannot communicate
2. Bandwidth priority for networks 1. VoIP, 2. Office and 3 Home

I'm thinking 3 VLANs, but I'm not sure if/how you can setup queues to prioritize? And if it is even a good approach..
I also got confused when looking into setting up VLANs on routeros, but this is more or less what I'm busy trying:
office solution config.png
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stefan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

patrickmkt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Small Home/Office setup

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:03 pm

Your setup is pretty simple, your office, voip and home are all using different devices. You probably don't need any vlan at all.
Just your three network with different IP subnets as described on your diagram.
Then two bridges to get the wlan_home and lan_home together, and the wlan_business and lan_business (eth 2,3,4,5) together.
In your queue you set some rules to give higher priorities/bandwidth to VOIP vs business vs home.

bakadave

Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi,

you need to do pretty much what I did in: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=109862 but you can make do without VLANs.
Create three bridges with the three IP pools you specified. Assign eth6 to VOIPbridge, wlan0 and eth2-5 to OFFICEbridge and VAP to HOMEbridge. Create a DHCP server for each bridge with their own pool and you should be good to go. Don't forget to set up an IP for the router for each subnet. If your subnets are set up correctly the networks should not be able to communicate.

If you don't know how to do this let me know and I'll write down the commands but I'm a little busy at the moment.
Can't help you with the queues as I've never done that, maybe one day.

cheers,
David

stef123
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:52 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you for the input!
You were right (off course)- VLANs were not required. I read somewhere that it was a good idea and went on a rampage trying to make it work... lost some hours of my life, never to be retrieved.
Anyways, the office is now setup, albeit a bit different than my novice drawing depicts.

Now I'm struggling to get site-to-site IPsec vpn working...
I thought it best to start a new topic here.

cheers
S