Community discussions

MikroTik App

terintamel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Dude Client - Slow to open device settings

Fri May 10, 2019 7:00 pm

This is something that just started recently happening but is happening on multiple PCs. Basically when I double click a device in the Dude Windows Client or right click and open Device Settings it takes multiple minutes for it to open the device's settings page. While it is waiting to open the Dude.exe process starts consuming large amounts of CPU and the device application does not respond on that PC until the settings window opens.

During this time the CPU usage on the Dude Server does not show any signs of load so I do not think it is the Server that is the problem but I really am not sure.

This happens on my Win 7 PC and also multiple Win 10 PCs. Both Dude server and client are on 6.44.3 and I have vacuumed the db several times. I am not certain but it may have started after I upgraded the Dude from an earlier 6.4x release to 6.44+.

What can I do to track down the cause of this issue?

qwerty00
just joined

Re: Dude Client - Slow to open device settings

Thu May 30, 2019 11:19 am

Hello,
I have almost the same problem.
I used dude version 3.6. Then I imported it in a new server with version 6.43.8.
When we double click on a device, it is very slow and all the application crushes for some time.
We also use other servers with same version and they work. Is seems a problem with export/import.

Did you have the same problem?

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 30, 2019 12:26 pm

One of Dude's many problems is that it gets confused sometimes and ends up with an "off by 1" error.
This is a problem when 0 suddenly becomes -1, and -1 represented as an unsigned number is roughly 4.3 billion.
So it tries doing whatever it's trying to do with 4.3 billion items of whatever information, which obviously takes a long time, and makes it appear to hang/crash.

Sometimes, you can fix the internal database mess by deleting whatever object and then using "Undo".

If only MikroTik would fix the code in the first place...

JereNL
just joined

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:17 pm

One of Dude's many problems is that it gets confused sometimes and ends up with an "off by 1" error.
This is a problem when 0 suddenly becomes -1, and -1 represented as an unsigned number is roughly 4.3 billion.
So it tries doing whatever it's trying to do with 4.3 billion items of whatever information, which obviously takes a long time, and makes it appear to hang/crash.

Sometimes, you can fix the internal database mess by deleting whatever object and then using "Undo".

If only MikroTik would fix the code in the first place...
HI,

I've got the same problem after updating to 6.44, we are using The Dude For years, never had problems until updated to 6.44. In earlier versions I didn't had any problems with opening device settings. But everything is just getting slower, and is not responding as it was. Vacuuming DB does not help, I do this every night automated....

Is there any solution yet? Does Mikrotik still update/develop on The dude? I don't see much news in the release notes...?

Regards,

Jeremy

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:13 am

Vacuuming DB does not help
I never understand why people think it would. All vacuuming does is shrink the unused areas of the database to minimise the file size. It doesn't change any of the actual data.
Is there any solution yet? Does Mikrotik still update/develop on The dude?
No and not currently, respectively. Maybe "never again" for the latter. They haven't said explicitly.

ryancccc
just joined

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:14 pm

We have same issue. The only way to fix it is to change agent to server. This issue has been exist for awhile.

KOPRajs
just joined

Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:35 pm

I can confirm, that changing the agent of a specific device from default to server workaround the issue for that specific device. Even though the default agent is already set to server in the global Dude settings.

Unfortunately, we have literally thousands of devices to click and change the agent, which is very annoying.

Knowing that the issue is in the client application and that it is linked to the default agent being set in the device options, it should be relatively easy to find the bug. So please MikroTik, fix this issue, which is making Dude unusable (opening the device settings takes about a minute).

Thank you.