MikroTik App

gnando
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac^2 Store Full no boot

Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:49 pm

Subject: Assistance Needed: MikroTik Model RBD52G-5HacD2HnD Memory Issue

Dear Technical Support,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek assistance regarding a problem I am facing with my MikroTik Model RBD52G-5HacD2HnD router.

The issue I am experiencing is related to the internal memory space, which seems to be running low or full. As a result, whenever I restart the device, it fails to boot up properly, leaving me with no option but to perform a full reset.

I have tried various troubleshooting steps, such as deleting unnecessary files and optimizing the memory usage, but the problem persists. I am concerned about the impact this is having on the performance and stability of my network.

I kindly request your expertise and guidance in resolving this matter. I would appreciate any instructions, recommendations, or potential solutions you can provide to overcome this memory limitation issue. Additionally, if there are any firmware updates or patches that address memory management, please advise accordingly.

Thank you in advance for your prompt attention and support. I look forward to your guidance to resolve this situation and restore the optimal functionality of my MikroTik router.

Best regards,

gnando
Sorry, my English is not very good. I am using AI.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP ac^2 Store Full no boot

Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:38 pm

The problem with hAP ac2 is its tiny flash storage (only 16MB). After ROS installation, there's only around 1MB (give or take) free. Which is enough for device to run just fine. However: one has to avoid configuration which uses excessive amount of permanent storage. One prime example of such configuration is when admin defines large address lists, those tend to use lots of permanent storage. If permanent storage becomes full due to large configuration, it's impossible to free space (because this requires some additional storage to save reduced configuration and that additional storage is not available). Only netinstall can fix this situation.

gnando
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:57 pm

Hello, first of all, thank you for your response. I wanted to let you know that I have already done a netinstall, but the situation remains the same. I have disabled the graphics and I have scripts that create address lists. Do you recommend that I stop using them?

Thank you and regards."

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:10 pm

If internal storage gets filled from those address lists, that would be the logical next step, yes.

At least disable that script to see if the device is stable without.

harryng9108
just joined

Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:58 pm

Subject: Assistance Needed: MikroTik Model RBD52G-5HacD2HnD Memory Issue

Dear Technical Support,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek assistance regarding a problem I am facing with my MikroTik Model RBD52G-5HacD2HnD router.

The issue I am experiencing is related to the internal memory space, which seems to be running low or full. As a result, whenever I restart the device, it fails to boot up properly, leaving me with no option but to perform a full reset.

I have tried various troubleshooting steps, such as deleting unnecessary files and optimizing the memory usage, but the problem persists. I am concerned about the impact this is having on the performance and stability of my network.

I kindly request your expertise and guidance in resolving this matter. I would appreciate any instructions, recommendations, or potential solutions you can provide to overcome this memory limitation issue. Additionally, if there are any firmware updates or patches that address memory management, please advise accordingly.

Thank you in advance for your prompt attention and support. I look forward to your guidance to resolve this situation and restore the optimal functionality of my MikroTik router.

Best regards,

gnando
Sorry, my English is not very good. I am using AI.

Hi,
I am facing the same issue. Have you had the routers working stably?
I have about 20 of them out there and so far about 10 of them have at least once failed to boot.
HAP AC3 and HAP AX Lite dont have this similar problem...

arainbow

Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:40 am

I found that another factor occupying storage is certificates. After deleting several certificates, the remaining space increased significantly. Additionally, unnecessary content in the configuration can also take up space. A good practice is to export the script, reset, and then import it again.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:18 am

The hard but most effective method for cleaning = netinstall.
With reset some things may still be left.
With netinstall everything is completely gone, a real clean install.

paulz

Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:07 pm

Is there a useful way to extend the storage using an USB stick? As far as I know there is a way to extend some things.
Can we extend somehow the log storage at least? A long-long-long-long-long time ago I even used the Dude but now it a beautiful impossible dream.
Can only be used as APs now for 5, no FW, too bad as they are still considered to have powerful CPUs. Avoid 2.4 use.

BTW: If you go back to ROS6 you have more space, but I think I am wrong now, recent versions of 6 are occupying the same space. And you want a recent version even on 6...

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:48 pm

Logs can be stored on USB disk. Userman database can be stored on USB disk. Exports can be stored on USB disk. Upgrade packages for upgrades via capsman can be stored on USB disk.

However: ROS (basic bundle and any optional packages) can only be installed on flash storage and configuration can only be stored on flash storage.

paulz

Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:22 am

Is there a way to alter the bundle package and disable not used packages like in ancient times? This way you could save some space. I have one AC2 that lies dormant and -ahem- would gladly delete wifi packages :roll: :roll: and use it as a wired router if that will not eat up storage.
BTW: I have the 256Mb one :wink:

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:18 pm

ROS v7.13 (currently rc2) unbundles wifi drivers and it's possible to run hAP ac2 wireless-less. This makes flash storage around 3MB less occupied.

paulz

Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:27 pm

Thank you for the info. Good to know about the new bundles, I hope it will stay like this for stable, not just RCs (testing).

So, ac2 will become usable again for some. Right now after depleting the storage is uses somehow ram... and there are three variants: 1) no boot anymore, 2) recent configuration changes are lost! :roll: , 3) sometimes works :D

5% free space after netinstall is risky, address lists somehow occupy more that 4bytes + name per entry, so having many means no-go.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:06 pm

5% free space after netinstall is risky...

Couldn't agree more. As I wrote elsewhere, my hAP ac2 with wifi-qcom-ac was left with perhaps 200kB free flash after installation of said package. I'm using it as the household's main router, but nothing fancy. After a few days (around 4 days to be exact) that storage got filled up and config changes got lost at reboot. Which was a reboot to uninstall wifi-qcom-ac to free up some space. Now it's at 20.8% free space (+-0.1%) for the last 24 hours.
I'm not desperately needing wireless on that device, I've been using it more or less as wired router ever since I bought it, but it'd be nice to have fast wifi in the comms room :-) So I still hope MT will manage to make v7.13 a few hundred kB smaller still.