Community discussions

MikroTik App

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

ac/ax CAPsMAN v2 configuration example

Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:48 am

I have created ax CAPsMAN configuration example for those who use vlan filtering on bridge and have set trunk and access ports whit secure frame types (Like these examples from doc pages - https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... +switching). Existing example in Mikrotik documentation is for different kind of approach and will not work for this type of configuration. This is my lab devices config dump - hex s is used as server, hap ax lite as AP. These files are for config inspection, not step-by-step tutorial. 7.10 folder contains config for current stable version and 7.11 for latest beta and on wards. Difference is one important improvement from Mikrotik side:

"wifiwave2 - automatically add WiFi interfaces to appropriate bridge VLAN when wireless clients with new VLAN IDs connect;".

It means you no longer need to create separate datapaths per vlan on AP side, it is done automatically (finally).

https://cloud.harijs.id.lv/index.php/s/sYAwSFbaCyJiGFx

Created new examples for mixed environments, read included readme file:

https://cloud.harijs.id.lv/index.php/s/WE2iEPGdNYapgAm
Last edited by maigonis on Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: ax CAPsMAN configuration example

Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:27 am

This is great news, I will test it to on my test setup also. Thank you for sharing.

Did you try to untag some of the eth ports on AP, i had problem with that also... It won't work, everything messes up...

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:30 am

Looks like you don't use out-of-the-box CAPS mode on the CAPS. Is this because you are using a trunk port in between the CAPsMAN and the CAPS?

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:11 am

@gigabyte091 At home I have ax3 and cap ax, on both I have set rest of ports untagged. Look up example in documentation, its quite easy to do whit this configuration base.

@erlinden I don't use default config in general on any of Mikrotik devices I have and manage. But also this config requires big changes anyway.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:55 am

At my config, and I use default CAP config ports are untagged for mgmt network but if i try to untag them for some other VLAN i get that VLAN on port but wifi is broken then. I will try with your setup

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:07 pm

At my config, and I use default CAP config ports are untagged for mgmt network but if i try to untag them for some other VLAN i get that VLAN on port but wifi is broken then. I will try with your setup
This configuration example is only for those, who have setup full vlan network whit trunk and access ports, all traffic tagged. You should use Mikrotik documentation example and try to use latest beta.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:34 pm

Good to know, will test with your example on my test setup, before i used capsman i had setup with trunk to the APs. No hybrid ports like i have now.

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:08 pm

Good to know, will test with your example on my test setup, before i used capsman i had setup with trunk to the APs. No hybrid ports like i have now.
Test and see, but I suggest learning and doing full vlan setups.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:40 pm

Don't really know what do you mean, right now I have 5 VLAN's and I'm not using default VLAN for anything. Two switches, trunk to the router, previous AP had all vlans tagged, no hybrid ports, but now im using capsman in original form

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:55 pm

Don't really know what do you mean, right now I have 5 VLAN's and I'm not using default VLAN for anything. Two switches, trunk to the router, previous AP had all vlans tagged, no hybrid ports, but now im using capsman in original form
It means config like these examples: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... +switching

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:42 am

I also see a lot of people struggling whit local WiFi interface provision to capsman configuration (for example if you have ax3 and cap ax, and you want to use one of APs as server). You don't have to setup local wifi interface to use capsman server, but need to provision from "Radios" tab manually. As you provision that local interface it will be managed by provision configuration same way as remote WiFi interfaces. Also kvr is working, interfaces show up in the same neighbor group (at least on 7.12beta1).
Screenshot_20230822_013936-1.png
Screenshot_20230822_014149.png
https://cloud.harijs.id.lv/index.php/s/wyYyjqZPJ37ZfGE

PS: Config examples are plain concept test on my home lab (hap ax lite + hap ax lite lte6), no vlans used here, but adoption should be easy to my previously posted config.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brg3466
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:19 am

@maigonis Thank you for sharing the config !

On your hAP ax lite, I see on only-vlan tagged frame will be accepted on the bridge.
My question is : since hAP ax lite have more than 1 ports, what if you want to have, let's say desktop on ether 3 with vlan10, your printer on ether4 with vlan20 ? Have you got a working config ?

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:05 pm

@maigonis Thank you for sharing the config !

On your hAP ax lite, I see on only-vlan tagged frame will be accepted on the bridge.
My question is : since hAP ax lite have more than 1 ports, what if you want to have, let's say desktop on ether 3 with vlan10, your printer on ether4 with vlan20 ? Have you got a working config ?
Have a look here: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... +switching . When learning vlans most important part is to follow tag - it can be added, removed, or modified (also stacked, aka q-in-q) in frames header when flowing thru network interfaces.

brg3466
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:30 am

When learning vlans most important part is to follow tag
@maigonis, thank you for the reply !
The link above is mainly for switch and routers. Maybe it was not clear in my last post. My question is on CAP (hAP ax lite):
Your config on CAP has a bridge, and only eth1 is on this bridge(as a trunk port).
/interface bridge
add frame-types=admit-only-vlan-tagged name=bridge1 vlan-filtering=yes
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 frame-types=admit-only-vlan-tagged interface=ether1
What if you add eth2-eth4 to this bridge and you want to hook your desktop/printer to eth2 or eth3, and you want your desktop on vlan 20 and your printer on vlan30. In this case, you have to config eth2-eth4 as an access port and it can only take in untagged traffic, as your bridge1 only take vlan-tagged traffic, which means eth2-eth4 will not work.

Is there a solution on this use case ?
Last edited by tangent on Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote tag; trimmed quote

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:13 am

/interface bridge
add frame-types=admit-only-vlan-tagged name=bridge1 vlan-filtering=yes
In this case, you have to config eth2-eth4 as an access port and it can only take in untagged traffic, as your bridge1 only take vlan-tagged traffic,
False. The quoted config is about bridge - "the router-facing port of switch". You may want to read about multiple bridge personalities in this nice article: viewtopic.php?t=173692 ... the term I used in previous sentence is taken from this article.
Meaning that with setting above it is perfectly possible to have some bridged ports configured as access ports or hybrid ports.

brg3466
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:20 am

[/quote]
Meaning that with setting above it is perfectly possible to have some bridged ports configured as access ports or hybrid ports.
[/quote]

@mkx, thank you !
I tried a lot but all in vain. Do you have the idea on , let's say, with above settings unchanged, I want to add another port (from CAP) eth2 to the bridge1, and want to assign pvid 20 to eth2, how to config ?

CAP is hAP ax2 with wifiwave2 CAPsMAN on Router CCR. both on v7.10.2

Edit: FYI, I just got reply from the support and it seems for now, it is not possible.
Plug and play bridging is not possible, with WifiWave2 device, as currently bridge-modes are not available, rendering wireless vlan configuration to be tricky.
unquote

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: ac/ax CAPsMAN configuration example

Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:12 pm

Updated configs to ac/ax mixed env.