Community discussions

MikroTik App

kiler129
Topic Author

Equivalent for USW Flex - no MT alternative?

Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:47 pm

I found a deployment recently where we need to deploy centralized PoE for power backup. The catch is, we cannot run e.g. 4 ethernets for 4 cameras. I though "no problem, lets power a small switch via PoE and do PoE for cameras". Surprisingly MT doesn't seem to have a solution for such a scenario and even other vendors are lacking here. The scenario doesn't seem to be that outlandish.

I found one product - USW Flex that accepts 802.3a* PoE-In and allows for 802.3a* PoE-Outs. However, the unit cost of $100 is pretty steep and well... Ubiquiti doesn't have exactly a stellar track record. I went through MT offering and the closest/the only thing I've found is Powerbox Pro. However, it's even more expensive at $110 with more outdoor focus. In addition, it doesn't support active PoE-In, which is a standard nowadays. It's kind of strange honestly, as it supports 802.3a* PoE-Out.

I was also looking for an adapter that could give me raw PoE voltage on a barrel plug but all seem to have some 5/12/24V internal converters and don't seem reliable.

Are there any plans for an equivalent to USW Flex with MT SwOS? Maybe some alternatives I didn't see?

nordex
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Equivalent for USW Flex - no MT alternative?

Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:47 am

maybe I'm missing out something, but you can provide power to powerbox via Ether1 by 802.3a power supply or by injector.

kiler129
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:57 am

maybe I'm missing out something, but you can provide power to powerbox via Ether1 by 802.3a power supply or by injector.
PowerBox itself is fully passive PoE. PowerBox Pro has passive PoE-IN and 802.3a* PoE-OUT. I wasn't able to find 802.3a*/802.3bt to barrel jack adapters that output full/1:1 voltage and power as delivered - all are like 12V/1A ones.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:44 am

AFAIK, no. But it be useful.

I'd be happy to trade the CPU in an RB5009 for same form factor with some even 1Gb ASIC switching but very flexible PoE (passive and/or 802.11at+) on any port, to put in the a "RB5009 stack". Planning all the PoE stuff cost a lot time/thinking – be happy to just buy a companion for an RB5009 with proper PoE switching.

rplant

Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:23 am

Powerbox Pro (or it's indoor brother, hex PoE)
will accept and start on 802.1af/t

And poe out can be forced on if you want passive poe out.

Do a search for GPOE-1-WM
for a passive gigabit poe splitter/injector which passes through the
voltage supplied (either splitting or injecting).

olivier2831
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:20 am

hEX PoE may fit.
I use them to remotely power AP and cameras

kiler129
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:34 pm

Thank you all for great comments!

I was digging deeper and well... USW Flex isn't as shiny as it seems. I'm used to MT being transparent with specs and flexible, while UI doesn't seem to be.
Through photos I found out that USW Flex uses MT7621, which ironically is only described in the MikroTik wiki.

The USW Flex seems to have:
It didn't even cross my mind to check hEX PoE, as it isn't marketed as a switch but indeed it has QCA8337 which is actually more powerful than what USW offers with MT7621. Plus it adds the power of full RoS just in case. The only question is the PoE capabilities of hEX PoE vs USW - for sure there's no magic of keeping the PoE budget in check, but that isn't something I'm worried about.

Planning all the PoE stuff cost a lot time/thinking – be happy to just buy a companion for an RB5009 with proper PoE switching.
Yes, indeed. PoE offering from all vendors is convoluted. It doesn't help that MT is still deep in the passive game unfortunately.

Powerbox Pro (or it's indoor brother, hex PoE)
will accept and start on 802.1af/t
Are you sure about that? The official datasheet clearly states "PoE in: Passive PoE".

Do a search for GPOE-1-WM
for a passive gigabit poe splitter/injector which passes through the
voltage supplied (either splitting or injecting).
Does it activate PSE correctly, or does it require forcing PoE out on the PSE?

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:40 pm

And don't forget that for managing USW Flex you need their controller, either hardware or hosted controller.

kiler129
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:45 pm

And don't forget that for managing USW Flex you need their controller, either hardware or hosted controller.
Yeah, this is my main hesitation actually and why I started looking. The protocol is questionable with respect to security and the deprecation policy is quite worrisome.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:01 pm

hEX PoE may fit.
Good catch. I didn't know that did 802.3at OUT actually. But I do recall them being passive on the ether1/PoE-IN port, so it has to be forced on.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:13 pm

Yeah, this is my main hesitation actually and why I started looking. The protocol is questionable with respect to security and the deprecation policy is quite worrisome.
Yea, I personally don't like the ongoing trend where you don't have local management in form of the web interface or app like winbox. For Ubiquiti you must have controller, but at least you can host it locally. But for example alta labs... They only have cloud controller... So no internet no access to the device...

kiler129
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:48 pm

(...) don't have local management in form of the web interface or app like winbox.
Well, from what I see USW Flex doesn't even have local CLI beyond just busybox shell, i.e. there's no real switch management interface. Central management is one thing, but not being able to change anything locally is a problem.

For Ubiquiti you must have controller, but at least you can host it locally.
For now, yes. But one thing I got burned with is their NVR system - sleek, nice, and used to work fully offline.... now many things are broken when the internet goes down.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:52 pm

...but at least you can host it locally....
There is no easy way to download configuration to fresh local controler. If you accidently loose local controler then you have a problem.
More ... you cannot send a technician to change anything if you have no access to controler pc.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:32 am

I didn't work much with ubiquiti so I didn't know that. I have 2 U6 Lite APs that I used when Mikrotik WiFi was, well, shit... but now they are collecting dust.

I ran unifi controller on RPi4 and I had situation where SD card failed... But after I was done with configuration I cloned first SD card to the backup one so all I had to do was to replace SD cards.

I burned myself when I bought 3 USW flex mini, nice little cheap managed switch... Without web interface...