Community discussions

MikroTik App

yossarian
just joined
Topic Author

Requesting DNS from www.mikrotik.com

Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:51 pm

Greetings to everyone.
Why is Dude calling www.mikrotik.com four times every minute according my Adguard.
www.mikrotik.com Type: A, Plain DNS client 192.168.5.5 witch is my router hAP AX3
When I disable Dude, calling stops. So no winbox or my router.
Can someone shine some light on that? Thanks in advance.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Requesting DNS from www.mikrotik.com

Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:22 am

In Dude, there is a probe "dns to mikrotik", and must be one of the services on a device. If you disable that, I'd imagine those lookups stop.

yossarian
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:29 pm

In Dude, there is a probe "dns to mikrotik", and must be one of the services on a device. If you disable that, I'd imagine those lookups stop.
Thank you to point to direction. It was in Winbox under Dude/Probes. There is probe for DNS witch call mikrotik.com. I deleted that probe and now there is no more calls.
I don't know what consequence will be for that action, but now everything is OK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:19 pm

I don't know what consequence will be for that action, but now everything is OK.
If a device being monitored by dude (e.g. on a map) has port 53 open (e.g. it has DNS server), that what that probe check. So Dude just loses the ability to test DNS server running on a device. So removing it, is relatively harmless.

You can always add it back later using same values (perhaps replacing www.mikrotik.com with something else) – IF checking a device's DNS server operational is desirable is future.

yossarian
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:41 pm

So Dude just loses the ability to test DNS server running on a device. So removing it, is relatively harmless.
Thank you for explanation. I don't need that kind of service, That is for much more complicated network then mine.
Over and out :D

yossarian
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:21 pm

Good day
Problem is not solved :(
After disabling/enabling DNS probe is back in probe list. So it's not possible to delete item from list.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:42 pm

Well, yeah it's a default, so it likely re-creates it. Sorry didn't think about that.

Another option is you can disable it as under the "allowed probe" in the Device Types section. That defined what services are looked for to add to a device. So if it's disabled for all device types, then it shouldn't be used.