Community discussions

MikroTik App

samuellsk
Topic Author

missing roaming in wifiwave2 and signal strength

Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:50 am

I ve got here hAP ax2 for some time,... i m running the 7.12beta3 version
I cant seem to find where in the devil is a signal strength (tx/rx noise floor , signal to noise...etc)

Also, where is the station roaming hidden ? there is an FT which does not seems to be working as the device is connected until its out of range of signal and than it looses connection and starts to connect to another ap...i assumed FT would be the open FT to roam faster between aps.

I m coparing hap ax2 and hap ac2. Both setup as client to be connecting to ruckus wifi aps

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: missing roaming in wifiwave2 and signal strength

Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:18 pm

In wifiwave2 quite a bit of those requested parameters are not available (yet).

Roaming only works within the same ROS instance.
This means radios on the same AP, or radios controlled by the same CAPSMAN controller.

AC2 and AX2 are different wifi technologies and can not be controlled by the same ROS instance.
So you are actually comparing apples to oranges here ...

What you can do (no real roaming but to "guide" the change-over process a bit), is use access list to limit signal levels of a client device and actively kick it out when a certain threshold is reached.
Be aware though there are clients which do not respond too well to such behavior (i.e. they may try to avoid an AP doing that).

But do I understand correctly you are trying to use AX2 or AC2 as client ?
How do you move those ?

samuellsk
Topic Author

Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:18 pm

This means radios on the same AP, or radios controlled by the same CAPSMAN controller.

AC2 and AX2 are different wifi technologies and can not be controlled by the same ROS instance.

What you can do (no real roaming but to "guide" the change-over process a bit), is use access list to limit signal levels of a client device and actively kick it out when a certain threshold is reached.
Be aware though there are clients which do not respond too well to such behavior (i.e. they may try to avoid an AP doing that).

How do you move those ?
As i m not romaing on ros at all, that does not apply, as it was stated before, using ruckus,

I m not comparing the techonology/hw,... was just looking where did those options/functions went , sice ax2 is newer model, was interpreted as more powerful in the ad...etc, which is great, but since its missing a lot of features, than its a lot worse / non viable than "its ac2 counter part"

i m comparing those 2 cause of size, poe in / out and 2,4 and 5ghz wifi, 5x 1gbps ports

Is there any roadmap when the romaing will work or if even is going to be implemented outside of ros ?

as for the moving them around, they are on robots that drive themselfs across the warehouses.
ac2 is being used now, with "station roaming" enabled, that takes about second to roam... ax2 since its missing that, does not...

FToms
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:42 pm

802.11r (FT) roaming is only implemented on the AP side. Unfortunately, there is currently no equivalent to the station-roaming setting from the older wireless package.
Received signal strength can be seen in the registration table. Noise floor figures are not available though.

samuellsk
Topic Author

Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:59 pm

802.11r (FT) roaming is only implemented on the AP side. Unfortunately, there is currently no equivalent to the station-roaming setting from the older wireless package.
Received signal strength can be seen in the registration table. Noise floor figures are not available though.
And is station-roaming feature in the roadmap ? Or better , station-roaming (FT) ? for the wifiwave2 ...

Thank you.

samuellsk
Topic Author

Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:02 pm

How do you move those ?
oh forgot this one,

access list nope, thats if mkt is an ap , since its now client you need connect list, which is not really better, in fact its much worse as it would disconnect and is going to take about 6 - 7 seconds to connect. Which is much worse than station-roaming enabled.

FToms
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:24 pm

And is station-roaming feature in the roadmap ? Or better , station-roaming (FT) ? for the wifiwave2 ...
Not as far as I know. Using a RouterOS device as mobile station is an uncommon use case.
I'll note down your interest.

samuellsk
Topic Author

Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:30 pm

Not as far as I know. Using a RouterOS device as mobile station is an uncommon use case.
I'll note down your interest.
dunno if its going to have any "weight" as i run the head count, there are currently 120 hap ac2 (and it does not seems like we are stopping at this number as there are not much of an alternatives, and those that are out there terrible...) and while i dont expect any future support for seamless roaming for the station mode / station roam, i was expecing to have better in wifiwave2 packages that came with hap ax2

off topic:
For now we are using 2,4 and 5.0 at the same time, so when 1 roams, the chance that other roams also is like 2 percent from the tests that i ve concluded. But having it less of an abomination would be great.

there is also possibility creating one massive self driving mesh, so the robot would be connected to at least few mobile aps and stationary... thats another abominable thought..

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:22 pm

there is also possibility creating one massive self driving mesh, so the robot would be connected to at least few mobile aps and stationary... thats another abominable thought..

That's what LTE (and 5G) is ... and it comes with hefty price tag for some very good reasons.

whatever

Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:00 am

There's quite some BS included here. Roaming does NOT require interfaces to be managed by the same ROS instance, it does not even require APs from the same vendor. Just make sure that wifi interfaces use the same SSID and authentication settings and are bridged to the same layer 2 domain. That's it.

Anything else is only relevant for extensions which enhance the roaming experience (802.11k/r/v), but neither of these is necessary for roaming to work.

Edit: is the previous post generated by ChatGPT?